SaabCentral Forums banner

Changed wheel color again.

3K views 37 replies 17 participants last post by  alexdrops 
#1 ·
I dont think I like it though may re-do them gunmetal again today. The black looks kinda cheesy? What do you guys think?

This is what color they used to be. I still have some of the paint left over.

Sorry for the crappy pics.

See less See more
#4 ·
robhurlburt said:
im not sure i REALLY like either of them... If you went all black, I think it could clean it up ALOT. Tint out the lights, and the windows..

its different though

did you paint them yourself?
Yea. Just trying some ideas on the cheap way before i decide to get them powder coated or buy aftermarket wheels.

#7 ·
wtfwill said:
the problem with dark color wheels (esp on our cars) is it just looks really dirty. the brake dust you get on the painted wheels after a few weeks = the same as that "gun metal" color.

with that being said, if you tinted the windows and lowered it it would look much nicer.

the black > the other color though.
Yea since im pretty much stuck with the car now for another few years its getting lowered here soon. Trying to decide what springs to get now.

#8 ·
i like it better in all black ..my rims are all black on my back 9-3 and i think it looks awesome and definitely not dirty..looks really clean..ofcourse when the car itself is clean. Even with the gun metal it looks nice but i do prefer black over the gunmetal.
By the way, did u paint them yourself? and if u did cna u please tell me what paint did u use and the steps it took to paint them? Because im thinking to paint my stock rims gun metal for the winter.

thx

#9 · (Edited)
1320 said:
Yea since im pretty much stuck with the car now for another few years its getting lowered here soon. Trying to decide what springs to get now.
i hear you. i've been considering lowering mine for awhile. you can get a nice set of megan racing lowering springs for 150-200 or get h&r from geniunesaab.com for like 225.

my main concern with that is living in an area that gets snow 3-4 months out of the year and some ****ty roads. i would hate to mess up my wheels and whatnot.

took this a few min ago.. stock ride height with 18"

here's a quick photoshop of it lowered:

ughh i love it.

and another normal picture:

#10 ·
alexdrops said:
By the way, did u paint them yourself? and if u did cna u please tell me what paint did u use and the steps it took to paint them? Because im thinking to paint my stock rims gun metal for the winter.

thx
Yes I painted them myself. I'm not sure if you wanna do what I did, I kind of half assed it to be honest.

1) Take off wheel
2) Remove center cap
3) Mask off tire with tape or if you're real ghetto put some armor all on the tire so the paint wont stick to it.
4) Scuff the paint with some sandpaper, you dont really have to remove all the stock paint. Just scuff it enough to get the new paint to stick to it. I would't use anything rougher that 320 grit.
5) clean off the wheel with mineral spirits to get off all the grime, brake dust and sanding dust off the wheel and dry with a clean towel.
6) You are now ready to spray. Hold the can about 7-8 inches away and first apply a quick light "dusting" of paint all around the wheel. I've found this makes it easier for the paint to stick to the wheel. Let the dusting dry for a min or two and then keep applying the paint very lightly all around the wheel. Make sure to spin the wheel to different angles to you dont miss any spots.
Let it dry for as long as it needs and throw it back on.

I just used this cheapo gunmetal wheel paint in a can from advanced auto parts. It actually sticks real nice, and has a lot of metallic flake in it. I think it was $4.00 a can. It took me 2.5 cans to do all 4 wheels.

The can looks like this.

#11 ·
thank you! this helps a lot... and i think im gonna give it a try one of these weekends when i have a little bit more free time! And as for lowering .. it will look really good ! I m going to lower mine in the spring and i think im going to get the Koni sport and Vogtland Suspension Kit from GS

#13 ·
titeness said:
The gunmetal def. looks more classy.
Yea thats what I'm thinking also, I already started respraying them back to gunmetal. LOL, I guess i could have just photoshopped a picture, made the wheels black and have done a lot less work. Oh well, At least some other people can use the black wheel pics for reference if they plan to do the same.

#19 ·
wtfwill, I have the same issue as you. I'd go for a new suspension setup but I'm already always pushing it on steep angle driveways/parking lot entarances and steep speed bumps. I say keep it stock height, doesn't look that much worse and you'll save the rest of your car.

-Rogan

p.s. NO gold rims on a Saab please. Otherwise you'll end up wanting to be like this photoshop I worked up a bit ago making fun of my WRX friend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.