SaabCentral Forums banner

Tech II Software Changes

6K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  Big Kev 
#1 ·
I have an appointment Friday with Saab to turn off my low beams for $60. I mentioned this forum to the Service manager about some ppl having disabled there lights on MY07. He told me they would try but cant guarantee they can turn them off. With the GM to Spyker swap, did they lose their security access to disable these dumb lights. I want to make sure I know what I'm talking about Friday. I need to know which instructions to print out. Thanks

#2 ·
the dealer i went to had no trouble turning off either of our '07s DRLs. the tech2 system is individual to the dealer, not to saab i.e. the dealer buys the system and the rights to use it.

#3 ·
I'm assuming the software has to be up to date, right? When I originally presented this to them a few months ago, I was told they would only disable my low beams because that's all their software allows them to do. I don't see how it is possible to do one and not the other. I'm getting mixed stories.

#5 ·
When you say you had your DRLs disabled, you mean your low beams are off or is your light switch is fully functional? Pre 08s don't have DRLs. There is no variation between our lights during the day or night. Our lights stay on whenever our engine is started. The dealer is stating that they only have access to turn the lows off but when I switch the lights to off, my city, side markers, tails, and license plate lights will be un-changed. I didn't see it as an option to disable just the lows.

#9 ·
My dealer (in Ann Arbor, Mi) just told me no... they told me it was illegal to turn off the DLRs... Which I know isn't true.. I told him I knew of other dealerships that'll do it.. but they claimed that turning off DLRs was something they're not supposed to do..
** The guys that run the service department kinda suck... I get treated like a dumb kid when I go in.... (i'm 21) According to them, it seems like aftermarket anything or anything DIY is impossible and is ridiculous... haha... stealership...

#14 ·
Yea thats what one of the service guys told me and then he said audi doesnt allow u to disable drls. yea im 22 and dont think they know it but I feel they try to treat u like u have no idea what ur talking about. Jplipper u misread my post. I do not wish to disable my HIs because I do not have bi xenons. I was explaining what real drls are. It has been discussed here before that our cars are not truely equipped with drls. Ive seen that youtube video before but ur light switch is useless, giving us no control over our lights. Very dumb idea on GMs part. Some cars have separate leds for drls. Some use only the front turn signals like my 05 Grand Prix and others use either the HIs or LOWs at less power but none of them run all your lights 24/7. I was just wondering how can they say their software only allows them to turn off lows and nothing else. The sw has to be up to dare and have security access before they can start, right?

#11 ·
I recently had my 07's DRLs disabled at an independent Saab shop. $34.50 and done in under 20 minutes. I don't know if the specific instructions above are right as I didn't watch him but they sound right - I do know the setting is referred to as Rest of World ROW. This guy knew what he was doing, if the dealer isn't sure make sure you have the instructions and test all the positions before you accept the work. Check the taillights in each position as someone had an issue with them still being on all the time even though the low beams/DRLs were disabled/working via the switch.

I ended up with:
position 0 - lights off, high beam flash only (doesn't lock on)
position 1 - parking lights, city lights and tails, front fogs optional, high beam flash only, no rear fogs
position 2 - DRL/lights on, city lights and tails, front fogs optional, high beam lock, rear fogs optional

#12 ·
mine were shut off but I'm getting the left/right low beam failure warning. The switch works as it should but my tails are still on.

perhaps a step was missed on mine that the car is still thinking the DRLs should be on and they aren't now so it's sending back a failed bulb warning.

#19 ·
ok, so in my trip to the dealer today I had everything set the way I want it.

in position 0 i have no lights (rears are off as well)
in position 1 I have parking lights, tails and front/rear fogs manual
in Position 2 I have low beams, parking and front/rear fogs manual

But I'm still getting the bulb failure warning. The tech said that he can't turn that off since I have the plug and play HIDs in. I tried to explain that i didn't get the failure warning until after the DRLs were turned off, but I don't think he believed me.

Oh well, ideally I'd have all of the settings above without the failure warning but it's more important to me to have the DRLs off than having to press the key on the wheel twice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.