SaabCentral Forums banner

Help Needed Turbo and Overheating problem

924 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Marrk 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have 2 problems which are outlined below and could be related. I have the following car:

Model year 1991
The model is a 9000 S 2.3 Turbo.
Body style 5-door Combi-Coupe
Engine Turbo, B234 (2.3l full-pressure turbo - 200hp)
Transmission 5-speed manual
Built at Trollhattan line A

The 1st problem is Overheating.

If I drive the car quickly the car overheats if I drive sensibly then the temp is fine. I have replaced the thermostat and flushed the system.

The 2nd problem is that the turbo doesnt seem to be working.

When I put my foot down, the boost gauge moves slightly into the yellow then drops back down again. There doesnt seem to be any major increase in acceleration. When I stop the turbo is V.V. hot.

Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Tim :cry: :cry:

See less See more
#2 ·
turbo overheating

You didn't mention how you are defining "overheating" Is your temp gage in the red zone or just higher than half-way up? If the car is actually overheating to where you have failure or backflush of antifreeze, you need to check your cooling fans since you have already changed out the thermostat already. If the fans are operating properly, I would double check your thermostat to ensure you installed the proper one(gaged by temp range).

Regarding the boost on your turbo, first thing is to check that all moving mechanisms are opening properly. There is a vent that opens and closes as needed(accelerating). If it is dragging open, you will loose the boost of air to the combustion chamber. Clean and lube the turbo. If this does not improve your boost, I suggest you have a mechanic check all the electric to the turbo for faults.

Hope this helps,

d. wolfe

#3 ·
Don't worry about the turbo being hot, they are designed to run at high temps, mine glows cherry red most of the time on long runs...looks great in the dark!!!
It appears you are only running base boost, check all your vacuum lines for cracks or leaks. I think you can disconnect the electrical connection on the boost control valve...located on the right hand side of the radiator and take it for a run and see if the boost goes way up. If it does the control valve could be faulty, although when mine failed I had maximum boost, not base boost.
Do a search for base boost problems, the info there will help.
Good luck..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.