SaabCentral Forums banner

How to get Wax off my black plastic trim? Nothing works!

28K views 54 replies 40 participants last post by  matrixcoding 
#1 ·
I've tried Peanut Oil and Peanut Butter, but I can't seem to get the white wax stains off the black door and bumper trim on my 9-3. Any other tricks out there that work??? Peanut oil has always worked for me on other cars, but for some reason on the 9-3 it doesn't work.

#3 ·
I used a product called Trim Shine by Stoner. It seems to be working okay but its raining today so I am gonna see if it ends up running down the side of my car or not. Mothers Back to Black does run down the side of the car after a single shot of rain and, in my experience, useless.

Heres a link http://www.trimshine.com/

zippy :cheesy:

PS I didnt just spray and walk away though, I gave the trim a good buffing with a clean microfibre cloth.

#8 ·
Diggs said:
Creamy peanut butter
Read original post. Tried it. Didn't work....strange plastic they used on these cars. Wax I used was Maguiar's Cleaner/Wax liquid put on with my orbital buffer.

#15 ·
Interesting that the Peanut Oil method worked when I had my '04 Linear. Mind you.....shortly thereafter, I installed the AERO kit, so I do not know how long that would have lasted.

#17 ·
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is the answer. It works with almost no effort. Don't wet the sponge, just use it dry.

There is nothing else that works well, I've tried everything.

Magic Eraser! It is the tool of choice amongst detailing forums. Besides, the point is to clean off the trim, not put peanut butter on it...

#18 ·
Thanks for the tips. I was able to get it cleaned off today. I started with the MagicEraser (thanks for the tip JAGMAN) which removed the wax, but left a whitish haze on all the black trim. I then followed up with creamy peanut butter and scrubbed it in with a toothbrush, let it set for 15-20 minutes, then washed the car to get it all off. After I washed the car I scrubbed again with a light coating of peanut oil on a toothbrush, then cleaned it with a damp cloth. Looks good finally!!!

Thanks!

#19 ·
cavedudejeff said:
You can always take it off (it pops off) soak it in hot water and then do the peanut butter and brush thingie
How do you take it off? Can you just yank it off? I'd like to take the trim off my car but I've never tried just taking it off because I don't want to risk breaking it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.