SaabCentral Forums banner

Hood Stuck shut

3K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  philjohnhb 
#1 ·
Trying the trick to pull the latch didn't work. The cable is moving the latch to what appears to be the stop, and I can't move it beyond that point with a screwdriver. I had to take the latch completely off to be able to get the hood open. Should I still order a new cable, or is it something else in the mechanism (the square spring or pin?)

#8 · (Edited)
Looking at the first picture, I can't tell if your centre piece has both bent over tangs on it, or if one has broken off. From what I can see of mine there should be two. You may have to replace this part.
I would refit the bent over tangs inside the middle wires (so the tangs are at right angles to the wires), so that when the cable is pulled the tangs rotate against the wires and the opening is widened allowing the Bonnet pin to pop out.
The other plate then fits/ twists on top to retain it all together, once it's all screwed to the slam panel.

THere should be a cable retaining clip to the right (looking towards the windsreen) under the slam panel to hold the cable in the right position

The bonnet pin should have a substantial washer/ spring arrangement on/ around it to spring the bonnet up. (it has on mine anyway)

I'm going by my 92 vert on this post without dismantling it BTW.

Hope that helps....

#10 ·
Just put in a new cable and latch, and the hood's stuck shut AGAIN! :evil: The only way I got it open the first time was by apparently breaking the original latch. What am I going to do?! I REALLY don't want to break this one too to wind up at square one again. Could I have missed something else? How am I going to pop it open again? This car is REALLY getting on my nerves:evil:

#18 ·
Just put in a new cable and latch, and the hood's stuck shut AGAIN! :evil: The only way I got it open the first time was by apparently breaking the original latch. What am I going to do?! I REALLY don't want to break this one too to wind up at square one again. Could I have missed something else? How am I going to pop it open again? This car is REALLY getting on my nerves:evil:

For anyone else attempting this.............take off the grille then do all of your testing and adjusting.

#14 ·
Something for those trying this on their own without the aid of another set of hands. If you put a lever (shovel?) under the hood lip and set some weight on it (heavy knapsack?) you can go in the car and pull the lever.

#17 ·
Did you fit the big spring I mentioned on the bonnet pin?
This is what pops the bonnet up and you may be pulling on the cable too hard when the catch is actually released.

Try having someone else pull the catch while you lift the front edge of the bonnet. sorry just noticed you've tried this and it works so get a spring fitted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.