SaabCentral Forums banner

2.8T & Auto Occasional Stumble

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  GWC 
#1 ·
Hard to pin this down with search ...

My '06 Aero only has 8,500 miles on it (I know .. I need to get out more) and every now and then when under regular acceleration I get a major stumble going from what it seems like 2nd to 3rd. This is the real deal .. nose of the car pitches down and then afer a second or so power is restored.

No doubt the dealer will "fail to duplicate"

Anyone else have this happen?

#2 ·
Ive had problems with downshifting, sometimes when approaching a turn, and if I then want to accelerate out of the turn, the car jerks when I hit the accelerator,
probably because the transmission prepared for an upshift but then needed to downshift instead due to my acceleration.

But this feels more like a drivers error than a fault in the drivetrain.

#4 ·
There's a software update for that concern. It's the only one available so the dealer should be able to figure it out. It's jerkiness at low throttle and the software update takes care of it.

#6 · (Edited)
Well, it has been a while and I've been in for service at least once since writing before (should have updated software) and the problem is still happening.

I noticed yesterday that it occurs both in Auto mode and Manu-matic mode. I previously thought only happened in Auto.

Speed about 20 or so accelerating away from a light ... then I get a instantaneous loss of power, nose pitches ... then all is well and she accelerates fine. This is NOT during hard acceleration.

Any other 2.8T owners out there experiencing anything similar?

#7 ·
i have this problem!

it is very very inconsistance. normally i can drive the car for about 20-40 min before anything occurs. usually during decel the car will bang into 1st at around 25ish mph, also if im gingerly cruising and go to pass the trans will bang in a downshift! i have been trying out a lil process of elimination and believe its a programming problem or a valve body problem. i have yet to contact my deal. i am more than likely going to change the trans fluid first.

did u get the software update? did it work?

#8 ·
same

GWC: I have the exact same problem. It doesn't happen very often but seems to occur when I'm in 2nd or 3rd gear. It usually happens when I'm trying to get on the highway and I have to slow down slightly for traffic and then I try to accelerate again. The car seems to lose power and jerks before regaining acceleration. It only seems to happen in auto-mode and not in manual as far as I can tell.

This seems to be more of a transmission issue to me.

#9 ·
I've had this same thing since the first day I had the car. (I think its the same thing anyway) For me it happens in either manu or full auto. I think it only occurs in 2nd and 3rd. Basically if I am slowly accelerating in one of those gears and then press the pedal to speed up quicker, I get an instantaneous complete drop of power and then everything is competely normal. I cannot duplicate it everytime. But I usually have a good shot if I am at about 2k rpm and then floor it. I've been most successful with that but duplication is still few and far between.

its very annoying especially to passengers. I think it is just a software glitch where it doesn't feed the engine properly for a second. Its been doing it for a long time and hasn't appeared to cause any damage that I'm aware of, 78K and counting.

GWC, seems to me that you and I have had this discussion before, a while ago right? Maybe not.

#14 ·
I'll be damned:eek: Mine started this a few months ago (am at 73,000 mi.). I thought it was part of my tranny issue. A non-dealer Saab tech drove my car, trying to figure out the tranny issue, and it did it to him. He said was the engine cutting out momentarily for some reason.

Strange that this started around the same time and the tranny issues:confused:

#13 ·
I've only seen those with 2006 2.8Ts complain about this problem. Is this just related to the 2006 model? Those of you with newer models, let us know.
I was just thinking the same thing. I don't think I've seen the complaint other than MY06. What could possibly be different?

#12 ·
Never had the issue in my '08 2.8T. I actually tried to duplicate the problem today while going to lunch, and couldn't.

#15 ·
Like just noted, it feels more engine related than transmission related ... instantaneous loss of engine power when in 2nd/3rd gear and somewhat bogged down in low rpm/high boost conditions.

I'm due for my last free service soon and will bring it too my dealer's attention then (if they make the cut).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.