SaabCentral Forums banner

Tire Size???

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  RITmusic2k 
#1 ·
I have a 1996 vert and I need to put new tires on it. I have always put the size the manual suggests. However, this size is pretty pricey and I am wondering what size can I get away with since the car has over 230,000 miles as my daily driver.
The manual suggests 205 50 16 low profile high performance. OK so can I go with a 205 55 16?
Any knowledge would be appreciated. Thanks Joel

#2 ·
Well if you want to go with a mushier tire, that should not be a problem, that's not much diffrence. 6.5" wide wheels ?

#4 ·
Yeah, a bit. But they should fit fine though for relaxed driving, and you'll have ever so slightly taller gearing. I have not owned a previous gen SAAB so I can't guarantee anything. Just make sure to run your hand around your current tire and make sure it's not too tight a squeeze, espescially around the top of the front tires at the struts.

#7 ·
Definitely go with 205/55's as the original Viking wheels are so easily bent, the 55 should be easier on them...

#8 ·
You can go to the 1010tires.com Tire Size Calculator and see at a glance exactly which tires are a good match for you; you type in your stock size and the alternate size you're considering, and it will report back differences in rolling diameter and expected speedometer variability, etc. It's a nice little tool!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.