SaabCentral Forums banner

Worn clutch release bearing?

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Jim Mesthene 
#1 ·
Ever since I purchased my 1997 2.3 9000 ecopower I have heard an unusual sound coming from the engine bay. It can only be heard when the car is being driven. It first reminded me of an exhaust leak. You can hear the sound when the car accelerates or decelerates -it diasppears when the car is running at constant speed/gas. It is most easily noticable in third gear (but can be alo heard, I think anyway, in other gears, especially in 4th). It can be heard when running down a steep hill with no gas on ie deccelerating - on depressing the clutch pedal in this situation the sound immediately disappears. I've had the exhuast checked and been told it's OK and that the sound appears to be a rattle of no major concern.

The clutch is on its last legs - 110 K miles (I guess on the original clutch). Could this noise be coming from a worn release bearing?

All advice welcomed.

many thanks, Phil.

#4 ·
Phil9000 said:
many thanks. I wouldn't describe my sound as a whine at all (it is more of a rattle or 'blowing' sound) but perhaps it's worth changing the transmission oil. For info, it is a manual gearbox.
Sounds like the exhaust manifold to turbo gasket has failed. It's a metal gasket between the mating faces and once it starts to go, it goes pretty quickly.

David.

#5 ·
David

thanks. However, this gasket is new and the sound I can hear was there before and after changing it. I have wondered whether there could be a hole in eg the top of the catalytic converter which is different to see without removing it. To me the sound is just like an exhaust leak although I have let 2 garages take a look and they don't think so!

Regards, Phil.

#6 ·
Phil9000 said:
I've had the exhuast checked and been told it's OK and that the sound appears to be a rattle of no major concern.
Given your description, that sounds like an accurate diagnosis.
Often, bending the heat shields a little, with a prying tool of some kind, can stop the rattle.
You say it makes the noise on decel. That pretty much eliminates an exhaust leak as the cause.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.