SaabCentral Forums banner

RADIO gremlins

1K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  cassonian 
#1 ·
Ever since I've had my 9000 Griffin 1996 it's had aprblem with the radio cutting out.
I can be driving along and it will just start cutting out,no jolts or anything to initiate it. I've had the arial off and cleaned all the connections including the body to make sure it has a good earth,the radio out to check the connections behind it and sprayed the lift off face(both parts)with electric contact cleaner.
The annoying thing is when I did any of the above it seemed to have improved but then a few days later it start cutting out again.
It's quietly driving me nuts! Is this a known fault or a one off?

#2 ·
Never heard of this one before, so I'd assume it's a one off.

By the radio cutting out are you meaning radio reception? If so it may be a dry joint at the aerial socket, or the plug is loosing contact with the pins in the socket.

I'd first of all check here before assuming it's the aerial (easier and saves pulling the cable). If you are certain that it's not this, then either a new ariel or your gonna have to replace the cable. If the cable is faulty, I'd look at a screen mounted aerial, as you can get some really discrete aerials that give very good reception.

Kenneth

#4 ·
Hi Eric,

Thanks for the clarification. Yes it is an electrical issue, but I'm a little unsure whether or not it's the amp or the head unit.

When the fault happens, does the screen on the head unit go blank or does it just mute the sound? If the screen goes blank, does the electrical aerial start to retract?

If the screen goes blank and the aerial retracts then the fault is most likely in the head unit.

If the sound mutes, but the screen stays alive (and the aerial stays up) then you may have a fault with the amp under the drivers seat. You should be able to obtain one from a scrap yard. Before replacing, check connectors to make sure that they haven't worked loose.

If it's the head unit, I'd see if you can find one from a scrap yard as these were pretty much a standard unit.

Kenneth

#5 ·
THE screen goes blank and the aerial retracts(just like it had been turned off) so I guess the easiest thing will be to find a another head unit.
The really annoying part is that yesterday it was on and off every few seconds yet today I've driven for about 3 hours and it hasn't played uo once!

#6 ·
eric 10 said:
THE screen goes blank and the aerial retracts(just like it had been turned off) so I guess the easiest thing will be to find a another head unit.
The really annoying part is that yesterday it was on and off every few seconds yet today I've driven for about 3 hours and it hasn't played uo once!
Most likely cause of this is a dry solder joint at the knob. If you are competant with a soldering iron, maybe worth having a look for any dry joints.

Other than that speak to any of the Saab Salvage yards and you should be able to get a radio unit for cheep.

Kenneth

#11 · (Edited)
rectus femoris said:
...I just sent mine in because the sound would cut out and the screen would just flash. I will have it back on Sat and will post how the repair turned out.
my radio does this too.. can anyone tell me what brand head unit/10cd autochanger my aust delivered 1992 9000cd may have? I'd like to replace the head unit, but retain the autochanger in the boot/trunk.

Edit: its amazing what a 6-digit code can do! :D
head unit works as it should.

#13 ·
I've only owned my 9k for a few days, but thanks to forums such as this, I've fixed up a few niggling problems such as the radio code. Interesting to note that perhaps several brands of head unit were used. I have seen Alpine autochangers on ebay, perhaps mine's Alpine?

#14 ·
klarking1075 said:
which knob has the problem....
Charming. :roll: :lol:

On a more serious note I'm sure my previous and factory fitted equipment was Clarion. I've ripped out the lot and gone fully Sony, the factory fit stuff is pretty pants. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.