SaabCentral Forums banner

9000 2.3T - 1/4 mile

7K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  Laser Red Turbo 
#1 ·
Hi evryone ! First - i am sorry for my englisch - i now this language only basicly :oops:
I have question :
Can you tell me how can i make my 90002.3T '97 run qarter mile under 12 sec.?
Now i have ~230PS (little "virus" in ECU software :wink: )
and 1/4 mile ET ~15,2 sec.

#2 ·
I think you are aiming a bit beyond what a high torque front wheel drive car can achieve. Even a 450hp 9000 can only manage 13s.

For low 14s, apart from engine mods, try losing some weight from the rear of the car, wider stickier tyres, lower/harder suspension and a limited slip diff.

#3 ·
I think it's posiblle in FWD cars
for example:
http://www.alamoautosports.com/billy/golf.html
http://www.eurotuned.com/Multimedia.HTM
- ofcourse weight is very important - my plan is 9000 2.3 weight under 1000kg, but i need realy extrem mods in engine- (500~600 HP )- i need profesjonalist, hoo can doo for me that engine, or give me som information about posibile extreme SAAB tuning. I'v been looking on www popular tuners (Hirsh,Abott,Maptun etc.) - and i found only 300~~350 HP mods max.
I need info - how max. boost presure can i give for stock engine 2.3T (i think about bigger Turbo)
Thx

#4 ·
If you want 450bhp+ then go to the Maptun site. They have a car that gets this. No doubt it'll cost a lot and buying a bigger turbo would just be the start of the tuning job.

I still say that a Saab is not a good 1/4 mile car because of the turbo. I have 311bhp but have been blown away by a Boxster and even a Fiesta (in the wet) :oops: because when the bosst bangs in, the wheels light up!

Alan

#6 ·
The key to 1/4 mile times is not so much horsepower as in the case of single turbo supra's with 600hp running 12.6@130mph but 1/4 mile has everything to do with traction. For example my Camaro has close to 300HP with the modifications which are only intake and a dump pipe before the muffler and i run a 13.8@99mph. My goal this summer is to run 12.9@102mph with a stock engine (never lifting the valve covers). With perfect traction (1.6-1.7 60foot time i should be able to pull it off) remember for every 0.1 in 60ft you drop about 0.3 in 1/4mile time. If you want to explore FWD traction go on some Pontiac Grand Prix GTP sites. Those cars make 280FT LBS/TQ and are FWD. There are plenty of guys running low 12's with basic bolt on's. Good luck with your journey into the 1/4 mile mystery. Oh by the way i will be in Poland come August. Basically you need slicks and traction aiding components such as springs and properly vavled shocks. As for making more HP, thats pretty simple, Bigger Turbo + Cylinder head work + Forged internals and nitrous and you have yourself a monster. Bug be ready to pay out your A##. Just remmember you dont need horsepower to go quick but you need it to go fast.

#7 ·
I still say that a Saab is not a good 1/4 mile car
I know that :wink: but i am very headstrong :D - last 15 years i drive SAABs and only SAABs - so now , when i am starting my quarter mile adventure - my car must be SAAB :cheesy:

How will you do that? That is a lot of weight to lose (400-500kg).
For everyday running i have another SAABs (9000 3.0 V6 '96 and 99 GL '82) - so this one can be realy "monster" only for 1/4 mile :D - so i think remove every inside equipment (except driverseat and steering wheel) and replace all glass elements and many of steel elements(covers, dors, wings) with plastic elemants :)

Oh by the way i will be in Poland come August
In witch region? - litle race maybe :wink: ?------http://www.streetracing.pl/

#8 ·
Hi Cektop. Z tymi rajdami to mowisz powaznie? Mysle, ze wazniejsze od mocy bedzie nitro - NOS czy cos takiego i oczywiscie znaczna redukcja wagi. Ten pomysl by zejsc ponizej 1000 kg calkiem niezly....trzymam kciuki.

#10 ·
Hi everybody. The message I sent was written in Polish. I know Cektop(he is Pole too) from our website www.saabklub.pl. Sorry for any problems. I try to translate: Are you serious with that 1/4 mile races? I think that more important than power will be NOS or something like that and of course weight reduction. That idea to get your Saab below 1000 kg sounds good. So I'll try to write in english now but I'm not so good in that language.

#11 ·
Yoohas said:
Hi everybody. The message I sent was written in Polish. I know Cektop(he is Pole too) from our website www.saabklub.pl. Sorry for any problems. I try to translate: Are you serious with that 1/4 mile races? I think that more important than power will be NOS or something like that and of course weight reduction. That idea to get your Saab below 1000 kg sounds good. So I'll try to write in english now but I'm not so good in that language.
:cheesy: No worries :D

#13 ·
Yoohas said:
I visited your website greenphotos.com. What are you donig besides driving your Saab?
I do IT support for a company supporting the MOD.
Apart from that I spend some time photos. I have sold a few photos and have some in shops near me. They cost £25 each :cheesy:
My Fiancé takes photos too - She's sold more then me :eek:

I do the occasional wedding too. (Scary!)

Mark

#14 ·
I would say the biggest problem is NOT the engine it is for sure the gearbox!
It refuses to be shiftet fast enough and will not manage the power neded.
Sad but true, lots of people i Sweden are loking for the 6gear gearbox from the new 9-3 sport sedan.
It is told to be able to handle the power much better!

#16 ·
Alanb said:
Andreas,

Is the gearbox a fairly straightforward conversion? Does it bolt straight up to the engine?

Cheers,

Alan
I'm not Andreas but I'll answer anyway ;)

If Saab still uses the standard GM bolt pattern for the gearbox it shouldn't be a big problem to mount it to the engine. But then there is the problem with driveshafts, speedo and so on :-?

#17 ·
Alanb said:
I think you are aiming a bit beyond what a high torque front wheel drive car can achieve. Even a 450hp 9000 can only manage 13s.

For low 14s, apart from engine mods, try losing some weight from the rear of the car, wider stickier tyres, lower/harder suspension and a limited slip diff.

i'm sorry to say but you are defanatly a far from a saab lunatic and knowing about racing 1/4....saabs do just fine mine 87' 9000t with just a few mods runs fine...you just cant drop the clutch with at 5k on grippy surface or on drag radials/slicks. here are some specs on my 87'

stock head/intake
MBC Turbo XS
BPV Turbo Xs
custom 3" turbo back exhaust
custom cold air intake
Custom 3.0Bar FPR
Stock tires
Stock Clutch
200.000Miles + counting
Stock t3 turbo
Weight Reduction car weighted in 2565lbs/ things that i removed(door panels,back seat,Carpet inslulation,spare tire/cover,bumper supports,center console,A/C)
Car dynoed on 50/50 race gas and slightly bumped up timing
225fwhp/295fwtq
1/4 mile
13.37@107mph
2.22 60ft
this car has still a lot of tunning issues, with Super AFC and 30lbs injectors i could easily get this car in the high 12s with the trap around 110-112mph

#18 ·
Impressive. My car puts out a bit more power than yours (249fwhp) but I don't get anything like your sorts of runs. Maybe my car needs to lose more weight or maybe you have a knack of lauching Saabs that I and many others on this forum haven't got :wink:

Alanb

#20 ·
KevinC said:
Dropping the clutch at 5000 rpm in a Saab takes some guts and either a fat wallet or access to gearbox rebuilding facilities. But Saabs are so much better at power from say 60mph/Autobahn work than drag racing...
yeah i agree i never in my life DPOPED a clutch in my 87' 9k i slip it out at 3k fast kinda, it does great not that great though i mean 2.2 60ft is a typical FWD time. I sure agree with you any fwd Turbo car does better from a rolling start i wish we had autobahns here in US but unfortenatly we dont and cops will literaly rape you in the *** if you go 35mph over the speed limit if more then that you going to jail, 1/4 mile racing at the track has become a safe thing to do. Road racing is fun i'm sure i've never done it i have 3 cars 94 Camaro,87 9k, 94 aero......and i never been road racing i personally think Its really hard on your car all the way around instead of 1/4 strip racing its only hard on your drive train plus theres a really small chance you can loose control and crash at least you racing a dragster with a Methanol engine :wink:

#21 ·
Saab Speed

I spend time in both Europe and USA; you need to take a good vacation this summer and see what your Aero can do. We get out in North Dakota and pretty much do whatever we want on the empty two lane hiways. Saab 9000 Aeros with sorted suspension and good tires are awesome 90+ driver cars, and can give a lot of sedans a very good run for the money accelerating from 80 to +++.

#23 ·
1quick2.0t said:
Alanb said:

i'm sorry to say but you are defanatly a far from a saab lunatic and knowing about racing 1/4....saabs do just fine mine 87' 9000t with just a few mods runs fine...you just cant drop the clutch with at 5k on grippy surface or on drag radials/slicks. here are some specs on my 87'

stock head/intake
MBC Turbo XS
BPV Turbo Xs
custom 3" turbo back exhaust
custom cold air intake
Custom 3.0Bar FPR
Stock tires
Stock Clutch
200.000Miles + counting
Stock t3 turbo
Weight Reduction car weighted in 2565lbs/ things that i removed(door panels,back seat,Carpet inslulation,spare tire/cover,bumper supports,center console,A/C)
Car dynoed on 50/50 race gas and slightly bumped up timing
225fwhp/295fwtq
1/4 mile
13.37@107mph
2.22 60ft
this car has still a lot of tunning issues, with Super AFC and 30lbs injectors i could easily get this car in the high 12s with the trap around 110-112mph
I thought we were going to get to see some pictures and a copy of a time slip for this 13 second 9000? :-?? :-?? :-??

#24 ·
damn rich you still dont belive me huh...i got one pic but it isnt that great its my sig off another board...timeslip is laying around somwhere the car has been sold and i'm a proud owner of a 94' aero that only has exhaust and intake filter took it to the track
14.9@95mph 2.3 60ft i'm still learning how to come with the fast spool up on this car

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/1204/andreysbanner.jpg
i will defanatly look for a slip and post it just for you dude :cheesy:

#25 ·
Rich how can i get my saab in the 13's? its a 1991 9000 with intake and catbac 3" new tires new tranny and some other lil odds and ends...Also there is a 1989 9000t in a junkyard near my house i could get the turbo for free but it mite take a few hours, the turbo looks alot bigger then the one on my car could i put it on would it work? and as for a fuel pressure regulator that is 3.0 bar unstead of 2.5 like my car what car would i get a 3.0 bar fpr? what does it look like? and what will it do for my car

Thanks -Eben

#26 ·
Rich how can i get my saab in the 13's? its a 1991 9000 with intake and catbac 3" new tires new tranny and some other lil odds and ends...Also there is a 1989 9000t in a junkyard near my house i could get the turbo for free but it mite take a few hours, the turbo looks alot bigger then the one on my car could i put it on would it work? and as for a fuel pressure regulator that is 3.0 bar unstead of 2.5 like my car what car would i get a 3.0 bar fpr? what does it look like? and what will it do for my car

Thanks -Eben

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.