SaabCentral Forums banner

Activate High Beams?

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Maliberti 
#1 ·
My mom lost her 9-5 SE Wagon Year 2000 user manaul. If I pull the left stalk back I can activate highbeams but they don't stay on when I release the stalk. Is this a relay problem? BTW I just installed the full set of H7 blue bulbs from State of Nine.

TIA,
EB

#2 ·
earthbased said:
My mom lost her 9-5 SE Wagon Year 2000
OMG :eek:

Can she remember anything about where she parked it :confused:

Sorry............

Do you mean that the stalk doesnt stay back, I mean to you hear the click as you pull it back?

#4 ·
jlthunder said:
Is the headlight switch set at the 2 o'clock position? If not, the highbeams won't stay on. The foglights won't work either.
The light switch was in the 10 o'clock position when I tried to turn on the highbeams; will try it in the 2 pm position. What is the explanation for the 3 positions of this knob as the car has auto lights? Also, is the manual online anywhere or do I have to go to the dealer to get another one?

G
#5 ·
The car does not have auto lights. Those are the daytime running lights(DRL). Most GM vehicles only run the highbeams at a lower voltage, have a seperate light or illuminate the turnsignals. Saab is different. Their version of DRL's use the parking and headlights. With it in the 10 o'clock position you won't be able to use the fog lights or highbeam(or rear fog light). In the 12 o'clock position, the parking lights will remain on when the key is off, but the headlights come on when the key is on, still no fogs or highbeams. In the 2 o'clock position, you get full operation of the headlights, fogs, rear fog, and highbeams when the key is on. In this position, all lights will go off when the key is placed in the off position.

You can change these options, but it must be done using a Tech II machine(usually at a dealer). There is a link on this site, but I don't have it handy right now. Use the search engine and enter something like "headlight options" and that should give you the proper result. The only way to kill the DRL's is to pull the fuse. Your manual will tell you which fuse to pull.

You can buy the manual from the dealer or find it on e-bay.

HTH

Jeff

#6 ·
jlthunder said:
The car does not have auto lights. Those are the daytime running lights(DRL). Most GM vehicles only run the highbeams at a lower voltage, have a seperate light or illuminate the turnsignals. Saab is different. Their version of DRL's use the parking and headlights. With it in the 10 o'clock position you won't be able to use the fog lights or highbeam(or rear fog light). In the 12 o'clock position, the parking lights will remain on when the key is off, but the headlights come on when the key is on, still no fogs or highbeams. In the 2 o'clock position, you get full operation of the headlights, fogs, rear fog, and highbeams when the key is on. In this position, all lights will go off when the key is placed in the off position.

You can change these options, but it must be done using a Tech II machine(usually at a dealer). There is a link on this site, but I don't have it handy right now. Use the search engine and enter something like "headlight options" and that should give you the proper result. The only way to kill the DRL's is to pull the fuse. Your manual will tell you which fuse to pull.

You can buy the manual from the dealer or find it on e-bay.

HTH

Jeff
So the DRL are the same as the switch in 2 o'clock position? If so, should I have her (senior age) leave the switch in the 2 o'clock position to have full light functions and won't wear out the lights sooner than 10 o'clock?

Thanks,
EB

G
#8 ·
i know this is a really dumb question but just to cover all bases, did you pull the stalk as close to you as possible so that it clicks into place? it was something i didn't realize you had to do with that car to make the beams stay on when i first got it.

#9 ·
blixahaha said:
i know this is a really dumb question but just to cover all bases, did you pull the stalk as close to you as possible so that it clicks into place? it was something i didn't realize you had to do with that car to make the beams stay on when i first got it.
Yes, the problem was the light switch was not in the 2 o'clock position.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.