SaabCentral Forums banner

Considering a 9-7X - looking for feedback

38K views 42 replies 19 participants last post by  SaabScott 
#1 ·
I'm looking for real life feedback on both the 4.2 and 5.3 configs ... the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Please share.

#2 ·
4.2 gets the same or worse gas mileage than the 5.3

the 5.3i has power adjustable brake and gas pedals, and xenon headlights

When I drove a 4.2i - I thought that it was under powered, however the engine is rock solid.

There is oil comsumption with the 5.3i- about 1 qoart every 4K miles is reported by some

The rear struts for the hatch fail - must be often enough that the dealer has them in stock and the fuel sender unit, which is also in stock at all times.

The tranny's in the 5,3i seem to be more prone to failure- had mine replaced at 39K miles.

I am a owner, trying to sell mine 5.3i - and have driven all three models, 4.2, 5.3, and the Aero -

#4 ·
I have an 06 with the 5.3i. In the 2 mo. since I bought it I am pretty happy with it, other than so-so gas mileage (18mpg hwy. 14 city) and oil consumption problem. Need to take it into dealer for that fix as I just recently found that... Uses a qt. every 1k miles or even more if all highway miles! Apparently quite common with carbon buildup in the cylinders from the active fuel management system it uses on the highway.

Test drove a 4.2L but really didn't like the power difference. I heard the mileage was about the same so I went with a cleaner 5.3i I had been looking at. Love the Bose OEM system, but wish it had input for iPod/etc. Ride is OK but I think it could use new shocks already at 70K. The suspension takes a beating with the big 18" tires on there...

Good luck with your shopping!

#5 ·
Carl:

I had the same issue with 1 qt about every 1K miles-

I had, under warranty, the left cylinder bank valve cover gasket and PCV valve replaced, reduced oil comsumption -

I did hear the next route after this is "soaking" the cylinder rings, which I assume means clean the carbon out as you started.

The 5.3i even though with its flaws, is the better choice-

#6 ·
I have the 4.2. Other than the gas mileage being really ****ty, it's a great truck. The engine really is solid, have a 167k miles on mine and runs like it's new. Just keep it maintained with fluid changes and other maintenance items, and you'll be fine. It takes 7 quarts of oil btw!

#7 ·
I have had my 4.2l 9-7x since last october. It has been excellent except for very poor mpg. It is very very cheap to maintain ($120 for trans filter/fluid change and approx $35 for syn blend oil change at dealer). I enjoy the all options and cool factory wheels it came with. An adult bike can fit in back with seats up and bike wheel turned.

The nav system and dvd system were terribly outdated technology from the late 90's. In now enjoy driving it better since replacing nav with newer nav with blue tooth, Pandora, garmin and dvd all in one (cost me $600 and looks factory with Saab boot screen & no input locks). The new nav has more routing options that dont send me 2 to 3 hrs out of the way and also retains onstar.

Best value for the money you can now get a 2007 9-7x with 60k miles for around $12,000. A freind is looking at 2007 Acura MDX with less options & 28k more miles and its $23k and also has poor mpg. Mine is still under gm warranty til feb 2013.

#8 ·
I have had my 4.2l 9-7x since last october. It has been excellent except for very poor mpg. It is very very cheap to maintain ($120 for trans filter/fluid change and approx $35 for syn blend oil change at dealer). I enjoy the all options and cool factory wheels it came with. An adult bike can fit in back with seats up and bike wheel turned.

The nav system and dvd system were terribly outdated technology from the late 90's. In now enjoy driving it better since replacing nav with newer nav with blue tooth, Pandora, garmin and dvd all in one (cost me $600 and looks factory with Saab boot screen & no input locks). The new nav has more routing options that dont send me 2 to 3 hrs out of the way and also retains onstar.

Best value for the money you can now get a 2007 9-7x with 60k miles for around $12,000. A freind is looking at 2007 Acura MDX with less options & 28k more miles and its $23k and also has poor mpg. Mine is still under gm warranty til feb 2013.
they must be going cheap where you are - I have been checking lots as I see them and Autotrader, and it seems they are going between high 13-15K for that kind of mileage. I keep checking to make sure mine is priced to sell.

#9 ·
By the way the idle pulley fails on all large number of these just after 50k miles as well as on the GMC Envoy. Alot of people trade them in because the sound appears right after the bumper to bumper warranty expires. If you hear a loud whining sound like power steering pump failure, it's usually the $17 idle pulley bearings failing. The Ford dealer tried to pass it off as a "Saab sound" but I knew better since i knew its a rebadged Envoy! They had no ideal what was causing the sound and I used it a a bargaining tool to knock 3 grand off asking price. The idle pulley under the alternator and took 5 mins to replace. I looked up the sound on trailblazer forum on iPhone before making the deal.

#10 · (Edited)
A few thoughts from a previous 5.3i owner with 50k miles put on during ownership.

Pros:
- amazing looks. Easily the best looking GMT360 platform mate.
- easy serviceability. It may say Saab on the outside, but getting it worked on is super simple by anyone who can work on a Trailblazer.
- relatively reliable
- most parts can be looked up by similar year Ranier or Trailblazer
- strong 5.3i motor
- cozy and comfortable interior

Cons:
- rear suspension. Airbags typically fail. Most folks ditch the system for Arnott springs and bilstein shocks.
- ghost electrical anomalies. Random things like locking rear brakes, starting difficulties, etc. All documented at trailvoy.com
- interior back lights wear out quickly, tediuous fixes.
- ac dash vents will fail. Fix in the DIY section of trailvoy.com
- misc saab parts issue. 97x specific body parts, like fenders or fender flares, can be hard to replace new. This may have improved in recent months.
- water pump on v8 will fail between 75k and 100k miles
- fuel sender unit prone to failure, but mine still worked at 87k miles when i traded it in.
- not sure how common, but my drl system had a short that caused the turn signal bulbs to burn out every few months, complete with melted plastic around the connectors.

Overall a very decent vehicle, but it ages like most GM vehicles. Not well. Great support at trailvoy.com though.

#11 ·
A few thoughts from a previous 5.3i owner with 50k miles put on during ownership.

Pros:
- amazing looks. Easily the best looking GMT360 platform mate.
- easy serviceability. It may say Saab on the outside, but getting it worked on is super simple by anyone who can work on a Trailblazer.
- relatively reliable
- most parts can be looked up by similar year Ranier or Trailblazer
- strong 5.3i motor
- cozy and comfortable interior

Cons:
- rear suspension. Airbags typically fail. Most folks ditch the system for Arnott springs and bilstein shocks.
- ghost electrical anomalies. Random things like locking rear brakes, starting difficulties, etc. All documented at trailvoy.com
- interior back lights wear out quickly, tediuous fixes.
- ac dash vents will fail. Fix in the DIY section of trailvoy.com
- misc saab parts issue. 97x specific body parts, like fenders or fender flares, can be hard to replace new. This may have improved in recent months.
- water pump on v8 will fail between 75k and 100k miles
- fuel sender unit prone to failure, but mine still worked at 87k miles when i traded it in.
- not sure how common, but my drl system had a short that caused the turn signal bulbs to burn out every few months, complete with melted plastic around the connectors.

Overall a very decent vehicle, but it ages like most GM vehicles. Not well. Great support at trailvoy.com though.
Wow, I haven't had any of those issues to date- 82K miles-

1 burned out Xexon, replaced under warranty, Oil Comsumption, resolved under warranty, 1 new tranny, fixed under warranty...

#14 ·
Thanks for all of the responses guys.

I've found an 06 4.2i for what I feel is a great price and includes 2 sets of wheels and a set of winter tires ... and less than 60K miles.

I'm seeing the insurance adjuster on Monday afternoon to see what they intend to do with my car after having been rear ended a week ago Friday.

Attachments

#15 ·
I got an 08 5.3 last Sept and love it. The LS2 Aero would have been better but the but the 5.3 can be tweaked nicely for more power if you are so inclined. I won't even consider the 4.2 but that's me.

Super comfortable, heavy duty and easy to work on. Mine was a CPO, so I got a few initial things fixed under warranty (bump/clunk fix, steering angle sensor and blower motor). Smooth sailing since then.

#18 ·
Feedback on 9-7X

We bought a 2007 CPO Altitude Edition with 20k miles in late 2009 and now have 87k on it. It was purchased for another member of the family who found it too big so I ended up taking it over and really like it (I had a Crown Victoria and I am beginning to like this vehicle almost as much since it has many of the same features such as rear air suspension, full frame, V-8, etc.) We had a longstanding problem with a coolant smell which the dealer couldn't (wouln't) find but they finally replaced the heater core under the Saab CPO warranty and that solved the problem. If you are experiencing this I urge you to press them to get this fixed while under warranty as it is nearly a 10 hour job. I really like it because it is an American car - we had a 2001 9-5 which made it to 250k miles before we sold it but it had many problems and was not a reliable car. At least this one can, and should be, serviced by a Chevy dealer and as others have said, their is a lot of info on trailvoy.com. As for the oil consumption, we experienced that as well and again had to press for a fix - I know they removed the valve covers and believe they had to install a baffle - there is a GM TSB on this problem. Now it consumes about a quart every 5k which is acceptable and is when I change the oil anyway. I had 283k miles on my Crown Vic which my coworker now has 300k on so I am hoping for similar service from the 9-7x. Change tranny and coolant every 30k miles.

#20 ·
I honestly don't believe that a 9-7x will make it to 200k miles w/o self destructing first. The repair costs will begin to eat you alive once its out of warranty. Comparing it to a crown vic is unfair, those things are tanks.

the trans will give out by 100k miles, its too heavy a vehicle and too light duty a trans.
the front diff needs the gear oil mod to keep it from chewing the splines off the inside of the stubs since they weren't greased properly from the factory.

I don't know anyone w/ a 9-7 but the 3 I looked at while shopping all had the rear side window molding cracking on the edge by the lift gate like it was drying out.

AC controls will go out, ac actuators will fail, oil will be consumed. If you really want one just grin and bare it. I have big upgrades planned for mine which will include replacing most all of the problematic parts w/ major upgrades. (stroker ls2 w/ ls3 heads, 2wd conversion and probably an '80 trans w/ stall)

#24 ·
Its a 2006 5.3 w/ right around 75k miles on it. I picked it up about 10k miles ago. It had a stack of maint. receipts but the only real repairs under warranty was the rear main seal at 10k miles. It had the all the recommended maintenance done up to 50k miles.
It was the absolute cleanest one I've seen, the headphones for the rear seat ent. were still in the plastic wrap and I don't think anyone had ever sat in the passenger seat.

I've done the upgraded valve cover for the driver's side w/ the smaller orifice and revised baffle for oil consumption and it didn't help(there is less oil in the intake but i'm still using oil). I'm assuming the rings are stuck at this point, I'm going to do the mopar combustion chamber cleaner a few times and see if that helps.

I fixed the air bags earlier, I guess one of the sensors worked itself loose after I adjusted them to lower the rear so i had to reset them.

its stock w/ the exception of the upgraded dash cluster, 20" aero wheels and magnaflow catback. still a good deal at $12k.

#25 ·
Mine has over 52 k miles with zero problems. No oil burning, problems with air suspension, or anything else. The only thing that's showing wear is the "wood" finish on the top of the gear shift knob.

One thing I have found is that service is problematic. It's not that it's remotely difficult or that the parts aren't available, it's just that dealers (or shops) hear Saab and run away screaming. If you tell them that it's just like a Trailblazer SS/Bravada/Rainier and was built by GM in Ohio, that seems to help.

Tim

#26 ·
I will add my .02. I just purchased a 2009 97x with the 4.2 Prior to that I had a 2004 Trailblazer EXT with the 4.2. I just got out of that car and it had 140,000 miles. I can honestly say it was one of the most reliable cars I have owned.

I bought the 2004 new and the only issues I had were a couple of failed tie rods, cracked exhaust manifold, failed servo motors on the tach, speedo and oil pressure gauges. Everything else I would consider routine.

The car was starting to show signs of rust and I found the 2009 97x and could not pass it up. The interior of the Saab is far superior to the Trailblazer and the only thing I feel I gave up was the third row seat.

My Trailblazer is used to tow a 26 foot trailer and had no issues. Therefore I figure the Saab will equal or improve on towing. My Trailblazer had the 3.42 gears and the Saab has 3.73.

I know there are pros and cons to the 4.2 6 vs. the 5.3 8. Given the success I had with the 4.2 I felt confident the Saab would prove to be equally reliable. I truly believe the 4.2 will last 200K without issue (other than the rust I was concerned about)

I did the majority of the repairs myself on the TB so I am comfortable working on this car. The Saab specific items are the only thing I am a little worried about as it pertains to parts availability. However the vast majority of the running gear is GM.

The 97x I found has 20,000 miles and all the options I could ask for. Best of all I felt the price could not be beat. So to me the Saab 97x represents a bargain; it is equal or better to the Trailblazer but the cost if a lot less due to the fear of it being a Saab. While the label is Saab much of the parts are tried and true GM. If this car is as reliable as my 2004 I will be VERY happy.

Keith

#27 ·
Don't get me wrong, i really like my Saab but everyone keeps saying "I only had to do this" or it just needed that...etc.

My 14 yr old explorer needed the front wheel bearings replaced at 168000 miles along with a(another) new set of shocks. I had to change the water pump and factory fan at 212000 miles. GM needs to take a page from Fords reliability book(as long as they skip over the 5.4 cylinder head issues, lol). Its been paid off for years and cost of ownership is about $500/year including oil changes.

#28 ·
I have to agree with the comments on SOME Ford's reliability. My 98 Crown Vic now has 300k miles and there are so many original parts (water pump, all light bulbs, exhaust, etc.). It is now owned by a coworker so I get to see it regularly. It made me wonder how much the type of driving I do supports vehicle longevity. My commute is 80 miles round trip highway miles and I don't do many errands so the car is basically started twice a day (it's only on its second battery). I believe a solid design, quality parts and maintenance are the keys to longevity - some cars, despite routine maintenance, are not designed to last. I am hoping to have my 97x for a long time and will just replace things as they fail. Trying to identify any issues before the CPO warranty expires next year.

#29 ·
Better Mileage with 30.50 tire

I love my 2007 9-7X Saab with i-6 but thought there might be improvement in fuel mileage and changing the gear ratio was not an option. I installed 245-65-18 Khumo tires and get 1-2 miles to the gallon better and less annoying transmission shifting in the city.

On the highway it drives like a thoroughbred at high speed not having to over rev the engine, the i-6 with long stroke torque handles the lower ratio just fine without sacrifice in power.

Better ground clearance, looks, minimal sacrifice in handling and all around great size tire for this vehicle. note: speedo will show 3.5 miles per hour slower.

If you want better performance and road feel, I recommend this size tire and don't worry about suspension clearance, the front strut clearance is about 1/2 but no problems in 15,000 miles.

#30 ·
I love my 2007 9-7X Saab with i-6 but thought there might be improvement in fuel mileage and changing the gear ratio was not an option. I installed 245-65-18 Khumo tires and get 1-2 miles to the gallon better and less annoying transmission shifting in the city.

Better ground clearance, looks, minimal sacrifice in handling and all around great size tire for this vehicle. note: speedo will show 3.5 miles per hour slower.
so how do you know if you picked up anything at all if you're speedo is off?
and why go to a 245? rolling resistance drop from the 1/2" narrower tire? if it was for the re-gearing the truck probably could have benefited from a shorter tire instead.

#32 ·
If its only burning a quart every 3k I wouldn't think it's the rings. That's actually not bad for one of these 5.3s.
Once the rings are stuck you might get lucky and run enough mechanic in a can through the different holes in the motor to free some of the carbon up but short of a rebuild there isn't much that can be done.
Look up upper cylinder cleaner or mopar combustion chamber cleaner. It's pretty straight forward.

#37 ·
I'm (once again) looking at the 9-7X and need some feedback / advice.

I've got a line on a 2007 5.3i with 260,000 kms (roughly 161,000 miles) for a really good price.

Do I take a hard look at it or just run the other direction?

I would not buy one - The one that I had, taken care of really well, I don't think would have lasted that long. The V8 with its AFM issues is scary.

#38 · (Edited)
Geez Scott, as an "Uber Mod" or "Ur-Mod" :cheesy::cheesy: With never a price posted and with out peripheral issues this is rough to answer. And remember to check on the status of the fire warning hazard from the newer liquid anti-ice stuff they put down now before it snows. I posted a warning on this a few weeks ago and the Saabs and Chevy were both under it. The chemicals can affect and short usually the passenger door lock system and I believe cause a fire. I didn't pay much attention since this forum is usually like the dead spot on the starter. Ooooops, ;oops:

I would love to find one at a low price, like I did with my neighbors loaded Exploder. It was almost the "Bauer Package", mid miles and with two ADD kids (for real), had scratches and tears, a crack in the windshield and such so I got if for such a song that even DMV was trying to nail me for state tax evasion.

As a Canadian, who wouldn't love to have an AWD that sits a bit high and with good rubber will bust a drift or (could you put a plow option on a Saab or the Chevy?), get around in the salt and snow?

These past two years are the first when I've been without a high or mid mile truck or SUV higher type hack. Sure this is Jersey but the coastal dumps here where we got like a foot a week kept many gounded. Heavy crap too, not "champagne powder". I did ski and race for years so I was always on a white road somewhere.

That said, I can't see the scratches from here and if the price is good and I don't expect or need a "return on investment" when it dies I'd be all over it like a fly on a Kansas pasture patty. :cheesy:

BTW, our insurance is expensive here and what I learned about the pay out on say my 2008, it is at the point where I won't carry anything beyond basic liability, I'll drop collision in the next months. That way my money goes into a second (or third), pleasure vehicle, in this case my 98 Vette that in effect becomes "my self insurance" if I screw up and put the Aero into a ditch. Third? I'll start the hunt soon for something like an old Jeep Comanche that I can put "QQ" tags on and insure as an antique.

Of course if a 7-X Aero came along cheap ... all bets are off. :eek:

My point is what's the consideration for use? Dead utility like with the Explorer, gettiing a bunch of soda slurping, burger munching kids to the race hill, or showing up shined and polished at a weekend meet and greet? :cool:

#39 ·
i would run from it unless its $4500.
if you go into it knowing that the motor is whooped, that the front case is probably on borrowed time at the splines and that the trans will need to be rebuilt at any moment you'll be ok.

I've had it w/ mine at under 80k miles. uses 2 quarts of oil per 1k miles. trans is slipping and air ride system is a goner.
I plan to buy a beater truck to drive and build a big C.I. gen 4 motor and drop it in w/ an upgraded trans, convert to 2wd and put an SS rear end in it. wish i hadn't paid premium pricing on mine though.

#41 ·
That is unusual. These trucks typically last a long time and are relatively problem free. I know people with 150k+ miles without any of those problems.

Mine now has 60k miles. I replaced the engine at 30k with a LS2. The stock 4T65E (with Corvette servos) and front differential have been handling it just fine. The only things that have broken are the Saab logos (which seems to happen on all Saabs sooner or later).

If you do go to a TBSS rear, I believe you have to change your driveshaft.

Tim

#40 · (Edited)
So Scott, what's "the skinny" on the overall? And if the price is as good as you say you have to take a hard look. That's where bringing a good friend who can be honest with you is a blessing. Since you would be blinded by that Saab badge gleaming in the sunlight. Actually EVERY 9-7 for sale on Perrine Saab's used lot had the badge peeled off. Solid motor? Rock it in and out of F and R to see if the U joints and and such aren't clunkiing?

The biggest deterrent to buying an extra "hack" or car on a whim here in New Jersey is the 7% sales tax that a civilian has to pay but a dealer is exempt from. So by the time you register and insure it ... nope, can't let it just sit in the driveway anymore while you work or wait parts, it has to be fully registered, insured, inspected and have valid plates, you are out a full 10% from jump street. Retired, if my medical stuff would carry over across the border, and I could pass the immigration test, I'd join you up there to escape the madness. I watched the Canadian Banking Minister (?) while I was in Montreal a few years back deliver a speech on the tube. Basically, this shoddily dressed old fellow called us (the US), a bunch of fools who allowed our liberal and insane lending practices for mortgages send us into the tank. Certainly not "PC" at all but oh so true. So relax, with my age, BA, and no French I failed the test. Wife, with her MS and a tad of French passed by a hair.

What amazes me is that anyone can park their fat arz here and retire. I tried, Austria, NZ, Italy, the Swiss and with the exception of Romania there is no place to go. I do qualify as an Irish citizen but with the economy can't afford it. The US is now "third world".

#43 ·
So Scott, what's "the skinny" on the overall?
The "skinny" is, I need a daily driver, something that can handle everything I used my 9-5 Aero SportCombi for. ;)
Why don't I just get another 9-5 you ask? It's time for something different and I have had the 9-7X on my mind for some time now.

I use my cars for everything and I will be putting some miles on it with the new job, hence my concern about the mileage of the one I have found.

Oh, and if I had to do it again, would I? Almost certainly, though I would go for an Aero. The 5.3i isn't worth messing around with in a world where the Aero exists unless you find a great deal or plan on significantly modifying your car (to the point of replacing everything that was upgraded in the Aero anyway).

Tim
Not looking for that level of performance or fuel economy ... and they are very rare in Ontario to boot!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.