SaabCentral Forums banner

No Main Beam light

2K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Kermit 
#1 ·
SAABMeisters,

I have got no main beam/high beam head lighting up on the nearside (left). I have swapped out the bulbs, they are OK, swapped out the relay for the AC one which is the same, and still no joy (AC does work) and swapped over the 15A fuses for left and right main beams.

I also note that the little blue light on the dash doesnt light up, but the right beam works fine even on flash-to-pass mode.

Any bright (sorry!) ideas?

Circuitman

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply Kermit.

Hmmmm.... Orange relay? mine are all grey!

I have tapped, wiggled, cajoled and downright shouted at them to no avail. Nothing lights up on the one side. I had a look at a schematic diagram here:

http://www.mitt-eget.com/saab/information_headlights.shtml#schematics

Which was a switch main beam lights mod, but also shows the original wiring.

I'm curious as the Glödtrådsvakt = "light bulb guard" shows connections out to the bulbs both dipped and main beams. Could this be the culprit? Where is it? I need to check for sparks before and after this unit to confirm.

Circuitman

#5 ·
"I'm curious as the Glödtrådsvakt = "light bulb guard" shows connections out to the bulbs both dipped and main beams. Could this be the culprit? Where is it? I need to check for sparks before and after this unit to confirm."

That'll be the orange one then! Aha! (Lamp control) - will get the prising device (flat bladed screwdriver) into it later on today and check it out. I was busy looking at the specific high beam realy (thats the one top left in your pic).
Cheers!

Circuitman

#6 ·
Good call on the orange relay Kermit!

Opened it up and found the soldered terminals to the pin-outs had a couple of dry joints on them. Quick resolder later (lead free of course!) and bright lights.

Was curious to note that it's all solid state in there too!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.