SaabCentral Forums banner

New England SAAB run - May 19, 2012

13K views 118 replies 22 participants last post by  foreversaab 
#1 ·
Trying to generate some interest here. There are a lot of people in New England anxious for all sorts of different get togethers, so hopefully we can all combine forces and get a great cruise in! It's been a long time since I've been on a cruise, so I'm really hoping to get this off the ground.

When - Saturday May 19th, 2012 9-ish AM

Where - Exit 23 off of I-93 in NH, smack dab in the middle of the state

Who - I won't exclude anyone, but would really love to see as many SAABs as possible. Don't have one? I'm sure we can set people up with rides in a SAAB!

The route I had started planning years ago just while out for a drive. It's evolved over the years and has some really nice windy roads, lots of lake views, and a few very scenic spots. Total mileage is almost exactly 100 miles. I plan to do 50 miles in the morning, then have an hour or so for lunch at a nice scenic area. Then in the afternoon we'll do the other 50, with plans for 2 stops (15-30 minutes) for photos, 1 of which could be extended for popping hoods and showing off.

Hopefully the responses pour in and we can all look forward to a great day of SAABing. I think this can be a great alternative for those of us that don't have the time and/or $ for a trip to Carlisle and a great way to kick off a summer of SAAB action!

Hopefully this link to the route works:http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=U...qrg&oq=us+post&t=h&dirflg=h&mra=ls&via=8&z=11

See less See more
#8 ·
Same weekend as Carlisle

Bad timing. I believe that's the same weekend as the Carlisle Import Car show in PA which always draws a huge numer of Saabs. I know about 12 NE Saab drivers who would join your cruise (me for one) but we will all be heading down at Carlisle on Friday. Hope you get a decent turn out and have fun. We have some cruises (Mt Washington, Six Gaps, etc) in the works for later in the summer.

#9 ·
Bad timing. I believe that's the same weekend as the Carlisle Import Car show in PA which always draws a huge numer of Saabs. I know about 12 NE Saab drivers who would join your cruise (me for one) but we will all be heading down at Carlisle on Friday. Hope you get a decent turn out and have fun. We have some cruises (Mt Washington, Six Gaps, etc) in the works for later in the summer.
Yeah I planned it knowing it was Carlisle weekend. It's sort of meant as an option for people that weren't making it to PA anyway. By no means do I want to draw people away from Carlisle, it's an amazing event and I look forward to making it back. But for myself and lots of people it's just too much of a drive and too long of a weekend, so I figured a local-ish cruise might be nice for those looking to stick closer to home.

#15 ·
Six Gaps Green Mountians cruise (or something similar) will likely be in late August. Might tie something in with Swedish Car Day if gas prices are high just to be closer to Boston.

"Saabs on the Summit" cruise to Mt. Washington is organized by a friend but it's usually in early October.

#16 ·
This should be a great run! I hit upon few miles of the route yesterday. I'll be doing a pre-run this weekend or next to make sure all the roads are in good shape. I've also got a great lunch spot planned for people who either pack in their own or want to buy lunch from a burger/seafood joint.

#18 ·
Oh I've been to Carlisle, it was way back in '03, probably even before most of y'all owned SAABs, hehe.

I'm sure I'll make it back again one of these years...

#22 ·
between this and another forum or two it looks like we're up around 15 people so far (counting some maybes). I would be really excited to see it up around 25! So tell your friends

#25 ·
Wow, great to hear, but I will be honest and admit I doubt my cruise will live up to the level of an event like Carlisle. However, if you are looking for something a bit more low key than being at a HUGE car show with probably 1000 or so cars and tons of vendors, my cruise should be pretty casual and a great event to meet some people and go for a nice scenic drive around a beautiful part of NH!

#28 ·
I did a pre-run today, and I'm pretty excited about the route! A few small tweaks will have to be made due to some poor road conditions, but most of it looks all good!

I'll be attempting a "roll call" over the next couple of days to try and figure out numbers. Hopefully you all can make it and the weather is decent.

#30 ·
extended forecast looks great for Saturday! Upper 70's and SUNNY, I guess I can scratch umbrella's and rain gear from the "stuff you should all pack" list. Instead it will be sunscreen and bug spray (there is 1 stop planned where the bugs may be a factor).

Anyhow, let's get some excitement going people, this is going to be a kickass time!

#32 ·
had my saab for a year now and i didnt get to the Six Gaps. this might be my chance to a cruise. Being way up in NH makes it hard to get to the more "southern" cruise locations... maybe can go...gotta get the wifes aproval (her grad party that evening) maybe do both?...hmmm.

#33 ·
If you are in NH you definitely have got to make it! I think we should be done by 2:00-2:30, then if people want we can go out for a late lunch and maybe a beer. That should leave you plenty of time for a grad party in the evening!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.