SaabCentral Forums banner

2001 Saab 9-3 noisy engine & trans issue

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  CarpeCyprinidae 
G
#1 ·
Picked up this car earlier in the summer and it has started making strange noises. It has a clattery, almost sewing machine noise coming from the engine. To me it sounds like an issue with the valvetrain or even a very small exhaust leak. Is there a common issue with these? I changed the oil to slightly thicker oil - 10w40 about 3 weeks ago and it actually quieted it some, but the clatter is still there. The check engine light came on today, and I will take it to a friend at a GM dealer to diagnose that soon.

The car is a 2001 5 door 9-3 2.0L turbo with an Automatic (NOT an SE) right at 81,000miles on the ODO

Another thing, the automatic transmission is hesitant/vibrating in 1st gear, and clunks around some in the lower gears. We changed the trans fluid 2 weeks ago, and it seemed to help...but it's still there. It doesn't slip at all under acceleration.

I know the auto's in these cars aren't very strong but is there any advice on fixes?

See less See more
#2 ·
Definitely research the service history and inspect for sludge and check out the timing chain...
But, before that, inspect the serpentine belt pulleys..
The CEL has nothing to do with this, the code will have to be known...

:cheesy: Welcome to SaabCentral:cheesy: ...

IMO, the automatic is the best feature, seem to be strong with very little problems - there is a good reason for this...
The old BW automatic from the early 70s - that is a different story...

#11 ·
Definitely research the service history and inspect for sludge and check out the timing chain...

IMO, the automatic is the best feature, seem to be strong with very little problems - there is a good reason for this...
I've more than kept up on the basic service items, so this indicator just needs to go away. It's probably wanting me to change the brakes, oil, filters, plugs etc...which all have been done in the last month by myself.

I still have yet to fix the timing chain tensioner, and just put a new belt on it.
Picked up this car earlier in the summer and it has started making strange noises. It has a clattery, almost sewing machine noise coming from the engine. To me it sounds like an issue with the valvetrain or even a very small exhaust leak. Is there a common issue with these? I changed the oil to slightly thicker oil - 10w40 about 3 weeks ago and it actually quieted it some, but the clatter is still there. The check engine light came on today, and I will take it to a friend at a GM dealer to diagnose that soon.

The car is a 2001 5 door 9-3 2.0L turbo with an Automatic (NOT an SE) right at 81,000miles on the ODO

Another thing, the automatic transmission is hesitant/vibrating in 1st gear, and clunks around some in the lower gears. We changed the trans fluid 2 weeks ago, and it seemed to help...but it's still there. It doesn't slip at all under acceleration.

I know the auto's in these cars aren't very strong but is there any advice on fixes?
with
I've more than kept up on the basic service items, so this indicator just needs to go away. It's probably wanting me to change the brakes, oil, filters, plugs etc...which all have been done in the last month by myself.

I still have yet to fix the timing chain tensioner, and just put a new belt on it.
from my experience with a 1997 saab 900s most of the time when the engine sounds rough and your power steering pully is squeaking it’s the passenger side engine mount will cause it to run rough and loud

#4 ·
I also had a very rattly engine just recently, cam followers were bleeding off. Changed the followers no better. Changed cam chain etc and balance chain, all was quiet for 10 minutes then rattled again. Changed the cam chain tensioner and all was good. Seems the tensioner may have been leaking pressure and taking oil away from the followers on the inlet side as the oil supplies for both are very close together. No sign of sludge any where. No debris on oil pickup screen. Head was shiny silver inside no varnish so Mobil 1 seems to do its job.

#5 ·
Our 1998 900SE with 71k on the odo started making a rattling noise. I isolated it to the water pump. I took the serpentine belt off and cranked the engine. Ran quiet. Felt all of the pullys and found the water pump to be sloppy and loud.

May want to check that out.

As for the tranmission. If it feels clunky, check the transmission mount next to the driver's side tire on the front of the motor. This is a COMMON failure point and will make the transmission shift very rough.

G
#6 ·
earthworm said:

Thanks for the welcome, and are there any good writeups on how to change the chains? I have not worked on a Saab before this.

G
#8 ·
Found out that the indicator in the digital readout says service soon, it's not a check engine light. I can hit CLR and it's temporarily gone. Is there a way to manually check and see what it wants serviced, or can I take it to AutoZone and let them do it. I do not want to use a dealer to clear a service interval light if thats all it is.

#9 ·
Proper service on any motor vehicle is a serious thing , use either a trusted dealer or an indy, better yet, yourself (DIY)..

Read up on this, keep records, etc.
Our sticky FAQ are most useful...

I think the service interval lite will give up after a while, but, IMO, it is a good thing.
Any dealer who charges $50 to 100 to reset this light, if it is even necessary, should be reported.....:evil:

G
#10 ·
earthworm said:
Proper service on any motor vehicle is a serious thing , use either a trusted dealer or an indy, better yet, yourself (DIY)..

Read up on this, keep records, etc.
Our sticky FAQ are most useful...

I think the service interval lite will give up after a while, but, IMO, it is a good thing.
Any dealer who charges $50 to 100 to reset this light, if it is even necessary, should be reported.....:evil:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.