SaabCentral Forums banner

First look ......Impressed or disappointed ?

11K views 109 replies 44 participants last post by  Licence 
#1 ·
We seem to have had equal division before the 9-2X appeared from a equal ammount of SAAB and Subauru faithful as to wheather or not this car would be good for either stable.

Now, ... after we have seen comprehensive photo's of what seems to be the real 9-2X what are the immediate feelings about this car.

Impressed or Disappointed ?

#4 ·
obviously people will buy it. if i where a WRX freak i would buy one too. but my problem is that it only comes in a wagon.

the problem w/ the interior is that it has no euro flavor to it. that's why i don't like japanese cars, or any asian car. the interiors just don't appeal to me

#7 ·
I like the exterior, though I wish Saab had done more with the back. The interior is a let down - I hate the steering wheel which looks too japanese to me. But in the end I still like it and would consider buying one if I were in the market and the price is right (huge rebates, etc.) :)

#8 ·
Id like to show you a few quotes that were in one of saab's press release..

"With standard full-time all-wheel-drive, powerful engines, and distinctive European design..."

"...we spent a great deal of time making sure it had a strong face and sleek Scandinavian lines."

"The new Saab 9-2X takes a number of styling cues from recently-presented Saab concept and production vehicles and presents Saab's view on what a fun-to-drive, versatile 5-door vehicle should look like."

the first two quotes are complete cr*p. I really think they are building themselves up for disaster, just because when this car is released EVERYONE is going to see that its a subaru. GM really doesnt know anything about european cars and what makes their styling so special and the importance of brand quality. Im really sad that they decided to take such a respectable car company such as Saab and force them into taking on a product offensive that will not only change their brand recognition but take away their heritage and everything they stood for.

Dont forget, Saab stood proudly on the fact that they were a small, quirky european car company that drew inspiration from their aircraft heritage.
Im sure there are many people at Saab AB that are as angry as some of us are.

#9 ·
sethsev7n said:
Id like to show you a few quotes that were in one of saab's press release..

"With standard full-time all-wheel-drive, powerful engines, and distinctive European design..."

"...we spent a great deal of time making sure it had a strong face and sleek Scandinavian lines."

"The new Saab 9-2X takes a number of styling cues from recently-presented Saab concept and production vehicles and presents Saab's view on what a fun-to-drive, versatile 5-door vehicle should look like."

the first two quotes are complete cr*p. I really think they are building themselves up for disaster, just because when this car is released EVERYONE is going to see that its a subaru. GM really doesnt know anything about european cars and what makes their styling so special and the importance of brand quality. Im really sad that they decided to take such a respectable car company such as Saab and force them into taking on a product offensive that will not only change their brand recognition but take away their heritage and everything they stood for.

Dont forget, Saab stood proudly on the fact that they were a small, quirky european car company that drew inspiration from their aircraft heritage.
Im sure there are many people at Saab AB that are as angry as some of us are.
Like I've said before, I don't know if non-enthusiast "regular" buyers will realize it is a Subaru.

Also, small and quirky doesn't keep a company in business. They have to do what they have to do to keep things afloat...

#10 ·
I won't buy one. Not because I'm a SAAB purist (I like lots of marques), but because it is a very ordinary car. Sure, the mechanicals are probably WRX and lots of fun, but there are so many cars out there (new and classic) that are a ton of fun and so much better looking. As I said on the other thread, I do not think GM has pulled it off.

My prediction - it will sell in modest numbers, but will not be a major success. It will not sell well without incentives. Now this is a good thing, potentially, because the GM beancounters might just wonder why. They might even come to the correct conclusion.

Maybe. :-?

#11 ·
RED said:
I won't buy one. Not because I'm a SAAB purist (I like lots of marques), but because it is a very ordinary car.
I'd argue the same of the 9-3ss - in my opinion it's just like every other repmobile currently plying the highways and byways of Britain.

However, for me the big advantage the 9-2 has over the current Saab range is the hatch/sportwagon. There are lots of Saab drivers who bemoan the lack of a hatchback model in the current range. If this vehicle opens up new markets for Saab then I say that can only be a good thing. Coupled with AWD I think this car will do well.

I agree that there may be other cars out there that are more fun and look better - but I bet you can't get the weekly shopping, pushchair, other assorted young family paraphernalia in them, and still have 200+ hp under your right foot, in the price range that the 9-2 will be launched at.

By the way - I'd have one (when they eventually decide to sell it in Europe :evil: ).

#12 ·
If it comes with all the necessary entry-level luxury trimmings, put me on the list! I've been hoping for a WRX with more luxury for awhile... :wink: Styling is subjective, many people do not like the new 9-3SS, so obviously how you feel about the 9-2 will differ person by person. The interior could have been dudded up a bit more, but it's a very functional interior that works with the driver to create a great driving experience. Anybody who hasn't experienced a high performance AWD vehicle like the WRX, S4, or 330xi should really go on a test drive. It might change the way you look at FWD and RWD cars....it did for me!:wink:

#13 ·
I love how everybody is bashing GM for the existence of the 9-2.

GM, is just a name! "GM" does not produce cars.

Without GM, there would be no 9-2, ok I admit.

But, Saab politely asked Subaru for the chassis, only GM's product chief suggested it.

#17 ·
Simon said:
900t said:
Without GM, there would be no 9-2, ok I admit.
Without GM I doubt if Saab would still exist at all.
Actually, didn't GM snatch SAAB up on a whim because they were afraid Ford was going to right after Ford's purchase of Volvo (in order to own all the Swedish car companies)?? Too bad that didn't happen - at least Ford lets Volvo do what they want...

#19 ·
I've noticed something interesting, being on the outset of all this (I'm not a Saab owner, but I was lookin ginto getting a 9-3SS awhile back). When the 9-3SS was being introduced, the Saab community as a whole grumbled at the thought of non-hatch 9-3 built on a GM platform that is shared with, of all cars, the new Malibu. After being introduced, the new 9-3SS brought a lot of new customers into Saab showrooms, people that would have never considered an older 9-3 before. This is all despite the convictions of staunch Saab enthusiasts saying it "really wasn't a true Saab". So now we have a group of new 9-3SS owners, most of them not former customers of Saab, turning their noses up at the thought of a Subaru-derived Saab badged vehicle. :roll: Interesting how things come full circle? :wink: Like it or not, the purpose of the 9-2X is the very same purpose the 9-3SS had, which is to bring fresh, new customers into Saab showrooms.

#20 ·
I love the 9-3ss, it is a 'proper saab'. It may have the underpinnings of a Vectra, but if you placed a 9-3ss and a vectra side-by-side you wouldn't have a clue that they were closely related. Then steps in the 9-2, place that side-by-side with an impreza and they're nearly identical - inside and out. There is a big difference between platform sharing and and sharing badges, which is why people like myself don't like or want this car - if I wanted an imprezza I'd buy one. What an absolute con on the part of GM.

#21 ·
since i am not a wagon person, i don't really like it. if it was a sedan, i would say that i got a 9-3ss to upgrade from my wrx. the interior is a little cheap looking, but i think that the type of buyer saab is targeting isn't really thinking about that. it's a great engine, and having AWD is great. i am sure that it will do well.

to see what the subaru people are saying about us, and the car, please visit here:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=e857af25fca2678c3527351b974846d2&threadid=471152

i don't think you have to register to read the posts. i can't remember though, i have been a member for so long. there are other posts in that forum about the car too. do a search for 9-2.

#22 ·
I don't think it's a "con" on GM's part. GM owns a share of Subaru, but it's not a controlling share, therefore Subaru had to see the benefit in this as well in order to do agree to it. That benefit is getting them into a market they currently aren't in, the entry-luxury market. Regardless, yes, it is a rebadged Subaru. However, you can't really deny the fact that the new 9-3SS was in relatively the same shoes a little over a year ago. In terms of not being a "proper" Saab. However, it has come to be accepted by the community and has attracted many new customers. The same will happen for the 9-2X, attracting people who were previously looking for an AWD car but passed over the Saab nameplate because of the lack of such a vehicle. It's blatantly a move to bring more revenue into Saab/GM, but if they add essential entry-lux features like power driver's seat, leather, auto climate control, etc. it will be able to command a small premium over it's WRX bretheren who do not offer such amenities.

#23 ·
I didnt really hear any negative talk against the new 9-3s that came out.. some speculation but nothing bad.. all ive heard from saab owners this time around is everything that ive said earlier. The 9-3 kept the saab image, and it was a saab.. this 9-2 doesnt keep the saab image, and its not a saab (made with all subaru parts). Its much different this time around in my opinion.

#24 ·
Actually, there are some GM parts thrown into the mix... :wink: The 9-3 platform underpins the Malibu. So, no matter how you slice it, the 9-3SS really isn't a "pure" Saab either. Though, this is not necessarily a bad thing either. The Epsilon platform is one of the best GM has produced in awhile in terms of handling and solidity. It's definitely a lot less quirky than the previous 9-3, though I thought being "quirky" was a hallmark of Saab vehicles as well?! :cheesy: :wink:

#25 ·
Perhaps a bit of clairity - it underpins the NEW Malibu, not the previous one. And they share part of a floor pan, plus a few mounting points and attachment zones for the upper monocoque, which for the most part they do not share. The engineering and production of the pan is the most expensive part of the monocoque.

That is what is meant by platform sharing.

Not quite the same as the 9-2 rebadge. Not by miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.