SaabCentral Forums banner

How can I make my 93 faster?

9K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Kyle2112 
#1 ·
Hi guys. I'm just starting to look into making my car faster, I have a 2000 93 SE, 2.0 turbo, 205 stock horse. I just recently cut off the muffler and put a cone on the intake instead of having the box and rectangle air filter in it. I'm lookin for ways to get more power but I'm not sure how to go about it. I was looking into boost gauges and wanted to up he psi but I don't know what it runs stock and how high I should adjust it without causing any problems by having it be too much. What else can I do to increase the power and make it faster

#5 ·
Thanks a lot man, that Eric site looks like it's gonna be a lot of help. I'm installing a boost gauge tomorrow and was thinking of running the boos around 11 psi? I also cut off the muffler and ran straigt pipe to a 4inch tip and added an open cone for the intake, I'm thinking i may add that heat shield after seeing it on that site. I noticed a little increase of power, but I wanna get this car to put out what I know it can

#7 ·
How did you choose magic number 11 for boost? And are you planning on doing that with a manual boost controller or a tune? Regarding the exhaust, a 4 inch tip won't really do much for you except maybe change the sound. If you're looking for a any power, replace your downpipe and the rest of the exhaust system. Consider the shape of a bottleneck; you need to flow a larger volume straight from the beginning. Without that, the rest is negligible.

#8 · (Edited)
EDIT:: the info below is now correct, however it is not very useful now that i realize the vehicle in question is in fact an SE.

The 185 Hp version runs 10psi stock, so you may want to up the boost a little higher. The stock ecu is airmass limited to a max of 1000 mg/c so whatever hardware upgrades you make will only let you reach the max airmass value quicker. The stock fuel and ignition maps are created out to airmass values of 1300 mg/c (about 15 psi of boost). This is done so that the same set of maps can be used for the base model (185 hp version) and the SE (205hp version). The base model is simply limited by the max airmass map. The right way to increase boost would be to get the ecu tuned. Taking the BPC valve out of the loop and replacing it with a MBC set to around 15psi would probably work, but I don't reccomend it.

Obviously increasing the boost should be done in conjunction with the proper hardware upgrades (high flow exhaust system, larger IC, etc.) in order to get the full benefit and keep the engine operating safely.

#9 ·
I hooked the boost gauge up and it's spooling up to 20psi, mind you the roads were wet, but that seems a little high for it being all stock, on a dryer road I was hitting 16, but I haven't added boost just the gauge, I thought thy ran at a stock 7, my turbo meter only goes to the end of yellow, no red, does this sound normal?

#11 ·
Brain fart...

Oops. I don't know what I was thinking, you have an SE (the 205hp tune), so 15 to 16 psi is normal. I forgot that the base model had 185hp which is around 10 psi of boost. The 20 psi is still strange though. Did it hold at 20 psi for long, or did it just spike? The stock turbo meter is all relative to the tune, where the top of the yellow block represents max allowable boost (i.e. 10psi for base model, 15psi for SE). Since you have an SE I would reccommend going with an ECU tune if you want to make any significant power gains.

#10 ·
I'll definitely look into that exhaust suggestion, what exactly should be changed tho? Like have bigger all round pipes, what's to be different from the existing stock? I did the 4 inch tip mainly for looks and sound. I'm for sure doing that down pipe suggestion, my buddys telling me the same thing

#12 ·
...what exactly should be changed tho? Like have bigger all round pipes, what's to be different from the existing stock?...
Larger diameter, and less restriction (high flow cat and muffler). 2.5 to 3 inch diameter cat-back with high flow muffler should be sufficient. 3" DP w/ high flow cat is probably one of the most highly reccommended exhaust mods, and for good reason.

#15 ·
I'll have to get back to you, I'm pretty sure it's auto gauge, I'll check tomorrow, last night I hit a hump going really quick and it felt like I got air and I smacked my front bumper off the ground, but the car just shut off after the hump, just everything shut off and couldn't start the car again. So just got it towed to the shop, haven't a clue what it couldve been, I'm wondering if there's some kind of roll over switch or fuel shut off? All the power works, lights, stereo etc, but I can't start it back up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.