SaabCentral Forums banner

TIRES! (the ! is meant for anger...)

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  saabchilten 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well i finally have new tires on the 900. Let me tell everyone my story maybe it will help prevent problems for others. I found the tires on a local shops website (they will remain anonymous for now because im not sure if can post that stuff) anyway their pricing quote link is broken so i call them up and ask for a quote for their KUMHO SPT ru32 in 205 50 r15's. The gentleman says he has to order them but they will be there at noon. he gave me a price of 62.99+14.99 per tire out the door.( i think tire rack was like $4 more) He also informed me installation should be about 35 min tops. i agreed and dropped my car off at 12:00pm. I return at 1pm .....still not even in the shop, 2pm not done, 3 pm not done 4pm not done, 5pm they are closing now, 5:15 car is finally done. I recieve a bill for 355.39 now my math isnt perfect but thats almost $50 more than the quote. anyway im sucker so i pay them and pick up my car. it was raining super hard so i didnt get a good look at my tires (we are having a hurricane here in FL now lol). i return home and have a look at them (rain has let up a bit). i realize these are KUMHO 711's!!!!!!! DAMNIT i saw these on tirerack for $46!!! So not to drag this story on anyl for anyone who is still reading they are closed now of course so i sent them a NASTY email in hopes of a reply. i did take some pics with my camera to let everyone see them. Is this common in the tire shope community or did they see a sucker in me? also anyone have any suggestions how to fix this or should i suck it up and just drive my car as is?

See less See more
#2 ·
50 series ratio is too small on 15" tyres, this will throw out the speedo by over 6% and you will loose the performance at top end speeds too........

the better size tyre would have been 205/55x15"..
its only 1% different from the standard 195/60x15" factory fitted item..

Paul

#3 ·
If you asked for a specific tyre and got a quote based on that tyre, then collected the car to find that they had fitted a different tyre and then overcharged you above what the agreed quote was, then they are in the wrong. Why you agreed to pay the higher rate is a bit tricky, but you might possibly say that you only collected the car at all because there was a hurricane approaching and you wanted to get home. I'd go back and get the ones you ordered or a refund, be polite but firm, know your rights as a consumer and stand by them - in the UK we have Trading Standards and the Citizens Advice Bureau who could offer advice.

Go on Paul, cheer him up a bit more :lol:

#4 ·
:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

50 Series ratio is only good for 16" tyres, as is 45 or 40 for some 16" & 17" tyres
as for 15" then there is a limit to the ratio's

Paul

#5 ·
well after reading reading these posts i cant do anything but laugh... yeah math says the speedo will be off by 6% but my gps says its only about 1mph off at 60mph. another thing i find amusing is that everyone is recommending a larger tire but these are 205's and anything taller than 50 will rub horribly in the rear.(not sure about the front) (as even this size does with new stock suspension) i chose these tires because the suspension will be about 1.75-2inch lower (when i finally get around to installing it) and as for the top end performance loss this car hasnt gone over 70mph in 2years (stupid fl and there 45mph speedlimits) anyway not to step on anyones toes but this particular loss in top end gains low end. accelleration is dramatically improved with this size and thats what i was looking for. also the wider tread makes for a much better handling. although i am comparing them to the previous tires which were mostly bald and 3 different brands. i just wish they were the correct model ...but they are growing on me

oh and no reply from the tire shop yet..blah

#6 ·
I would show up first thing in the morning and tell them "we" have a problem. They quoted you for X tires at X price but sold you Y tires for X price. Give them a chance to rectify the situation. If not take it up higher and tell them you are going to the BBB etc.

#7 ·
settled?

I got a call from the tire shop yesterday. They said we never quoted you in those tires cause we dont carry them...and then he proceeded to tell me he called the manufacturer and they dont even make kumho ecsta spt (ku32), I proceeded to tell him where he good shove his tires and emailed his boss the link off their own website showing the tires and a scanned copy of motor trend showing a giant picture of the exact model. well i got a voice mail from the boss today that states to bring my car in and i will recieve the correct tires, correct price, and be reimbersed for my trouble. I will probobly take the car in this saturday and have it fitted with the proper model. Well thanks everyon for your advice maybe this will be a good warning to others.

(and i keep telling myself not to roach off the front tires before i go back.......:nono; )

#8 ·
shaverjeff said:
I got a call from the tire shop yesterday. They said we never quoted you in those tires cause we dont carry them...and then he proceeded to tell me he called the manufacturer and they dont even make kumho ecsta spt (ku32), I proceeded to tell him where he good shove his tires and emailed his boss the link off their own website showing the tires and a scanned copy of motor trend showing a giant picture of the exact model. well i got a voice mail from the boss today that states to bring my car in and i will recieve the correct tires, correct price, and be reimbersed for my trouble. I will probobly take the car in this saturday and have it fitted with the proper model. Well thanks everyon for your advice maybe this will be a good warning to others.

(and i keep telling myself not to roach off the front tires before i go back.......:nono; )
Good news! I would baby those tires, don't give them a reason not to replace them!

#9 ·
well its great that u got the correct tires. how could the guy at the tire shop be so stupid as to quote you on specific tires and then deny having them in stock? well at least you got what you wanted at no extra caust.

just a thought here. if i were to put 6 inch wheels on a 900 would they fit to start? and i heard it handles slightly better. this true too?

#11 ·
i wasnt specific. the stock wheels on the 900 tend to be 5 inches WIDE. if i were to put 6 inch wide wheels (i believe the super aeros are that wide) would there be any issues with fit? someone on another page said they did this and said that the car handles a bit better. just wanted to confirm it.

#15 ·
sizes

ill ask my techie relatives about ideal sizes. hmm. i do, however, need to find a good tire that can perform well on teh street on good days, yet it has to preform well in snow and slush, etc. as well. any ideas for good companies/styles there?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.