SaabCentral Forums

SaabCentral Forums (http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   9000 Performance, Mods & Tuning (http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Anyone use Acetone in the gas tank for better mpg? (http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91600)

the#1 26th December 2006 04:14 PM

Anyone use Acetone in the gas tank for better mpg?

I searched the 9000 forums for 'acetone' and came up with nothing, so I figured I would ask...
I've been reading quite a bit lately about using 1.5-2.5 ounces of acetone per 10 gallons of gas. People are saying that it helps vaporize the fuel before the burn, and gives about a 10% increase in mpg. They are also saying that it makes the engine run smoother
Apparently you're only supposed to buy the '100% pure' acetone from paint or beauty supply stores.

I'm very anxious to try this out, and see for myself.

Anyone who has tried, or knows why I shouldn't try it, please chime in.

--the#1

John Z Williams 26th December 2006 04:16 PM

I have heard a lot of people running Tolulene in their gas to up the octane rating and getting another 30hp or so running around a 15-30% mixture. Not hurd of anyone running acetone though, I would run tolulene before acetone. Good Luck, John

Robinb 26th December 2006 05:13 PM

Acetone and water mix with each other perfectly, and I have heard that people have added acetone to the tank prior to fill-up to absorb any water that may have accumulated there.

Me, I'm too chicken to try that. Why? - because acetone dissolves nearly everything in sight.

However, acetone is supposed to have an octane of 150, so will increase octane, but should be limited to 1-2% of total fuel. Might even remove a little water from the tank over the years!

turbo 9000 29th December 2006 02:38 AM

can someone try it and let us know how it worked? :cheesy:

vnv727 4th January 2007 12:51 AM

it doesnt....they tried it on mythbusters in a ridiculously small quantity and it ruined fuel economy....ive hear of using toulene which is used in paint thinner and that actually works according to my audi friends....since both acetone and toulene (sp) are paint thinner products that is probably wwhere the confusion came from me thinks

heres a link with info on toulene in audis...very good read for us saab guys too

http://www.elektro.com/~audi/toluene/

Andyaero 5th January 2007 05:40 PM

I've used everyday cellulose thinners (mainly toluene with a splash of xylene), 5 litres in a fill up, so about an 8% mix, for a coupla years whenever I want extra oooomph, trackdays and the like.

No ill effects and very noticeable improvement to acceleration, knocks a couple of seconds off the 0-100 times according to the squeaky buttometer.

Not heard of anyone using acetone tho, be wary, doesn't it melt stuff?

the#1 6th January 2007 01:38 AM

Yes, it can be hard on plastics and rubber, but in the tiny percentage suggested, (2 oz. per 10 gallons) it is diluted to the point that it is harmless. (So I've read)

I want to try making some Somender Singh grooves in the combustion chamber as soon as I get the opportunity! I've read amazing things about them.

--Reuben

boon94 6th January 2007 03:57 PM

i have a rubber vaccumme line that i will soak in some acetone that my sisters use to clean their nailpolish off their fingers. I'll let you know what happens, but im expecting it to cause the line to break up, dry out, or dissolve....

UPDATE: I couldnt find any vaccume line, so im using rubber from an old windshield wiper ;), as well as some copper / aluminum speaker wire, and a fuse

Hehe i love doing "expirements" like this :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

bkrell 6th January 2007 04:01 PM

Nope, doesn't work. There can be a decarbonization (fuel system cleaning) effect but nothing more. Someone asks about this on bitog everytime gas goes up $.05 and half of us have tried it (including me in my 9-5).

boon94 6th January 2007 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boon94
i have a rubber vaccumme line that i will soak in some acetone that my sisters use to clean their nailpolish off their fingers. I'll let you know what happens, but im expecting it to cause the line to break up, dry out, or dissolve....

UPDATE: I couldnt find any vaccume line, so im using rubber from an old windshield wiper ;), as well as some copper / aluminum speaker wire, and a fuse

Hehe i love doing "expirements" like this :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

about 5 hours of soaking in acetone, and all it appeared to do was clean the rubber and stain the plastic with whatever came off the rubber. The rubber maintained its strength and felxibility, however the plastic on the wire-insulation and in the dish is heavily stained (probably from the rubber).

Aaron Gilbert 9th January 2007 10:30 PM

I'm trying acetone in my Suzuki (car), just started on the current tank. So far, I am not seeing any improvement in fuel economy. I have a ScanGuage II that lets me accurately measure MPG (at least in a relative fashion). I'll give it another few tanks after this one, and if still nothing, then forget it. I am trying 3 oz per 10-11 gallons. I'm still trying to figure out why my average fuel economy has dropped a whopping 10% over the past two months. I did get new tires around the time that happened, but cannot believe that they account for such a large drop. So I'm going to go with winter gas mix (10% ethanol) as the leading theory - even though I got noticeably better fuel economy for the same period last year without even trying.

Alan S 5th April 2007 06:00 PM

acetone works

I've been using acetone in my 95 aero for about 3 months. I am still experimenting to find out what gives best results. Basically it's somewhere between 0.2 and 0.35% which is around 150-200ml per 60-70litre tank (full tank). I'm pretty sure I'm getting 10% extra mpg. Look at http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/additive.htm this guy who I have spoken to is serious about this stuff - and lots else. I will presently be trying one of his fog warmers!
One thing though, is I told my mechanic and he said I may not get as much improvement as claimed (25-30%) because saabs have a long stroke and so the combustion is more complete from the outset. Still I reckon it's a goer.

note: get as pure as you can find (beauty salon) i.e at least 99-99.5% pure, otherwise as the man says, it won't do much at all and could even have a negative effect. Happy experimenting

bkrell 5th April 2007 06:27 PM

If this stuff gave 25-30% improvement in gas mileage it would be mandated by car companies. They wouldn't have to make any adjustments to their cars to best CAFE here in the US. I've tried this with high quality acetone several times in several ratios and have at best gotten modest gains on the first tank I try after staying off of it for several weeks....

Alan S 6th April 2007 11:06 AM

I wish the corporatocracies of this world were that altruistic, but I don't believe they are. If you read the Louis Lepointe's research (see previous link) then you might question your own statements.
If I drive 10,000 miles a year, the acetone would give me about 900-1000 of those miles (10%), that's a pretty big saving if you ask me. And that's apart from all the other benefits of running acetone, namely lower emissions, less coking, and less engine wear. If you try it, it's worth knowing exactly how much you get out of a tank say before it goes onto reserve. Use the same fuel type, and make sure the type of driving i.e urban/extra urban is similar. Worth a try if you are a sceptic

bkrell 6th April 2007 12:11 PM

It's not a question of altruism. And I've read Mr. Lapointe's website. Car companies put huge amounts of r&d into making engines more efficient whenever they have to meet new fuel efficiency or emissions requirements (ala Mercedes Blutec). If they could just mandate acetone to meet those requirements, why waste millions on new engines?

Aaron Gilbert 6th April 2007 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkrell
If this stuff gave 25-30% improvement in gas mileage it would be mandated by car companies. They wouldn't have to make any adjustments to their cars to best CAFE here in the US. I've tried this with high quality acetone several times in several ratios and have at best gotten modest gains on the first tank I try after staying off of it for several weeks....

That depends. Who do you think has a stronger lobby and more powerful friends within the government - the big automakers, or the big oil producers? Don't you think the oil companies would have something to say if they suddenly started selling 10% less fuel to each customer?

Aaron Gilbert 6th April 2007 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan S
I've been using acetone in my 95 aero for about 3 months. I am still experimenting to find out what gives best results. Basically it's somewhere between 0.2 and 0.35% which is around 150-200ml per 60-70litre tank (full tank). I'm pretty sure I'm getting 10% extra mpg.

Are you keeping a spreadsheet or similar type of record of your fuel economy? I'd be interested in seeing such data. I am keeping records on my computer, as well as here: http://www.brianbauer.org/viewdata.php?vehicle=140 , and will likely eventually create a chart on my own web site. Do note that I forgot to put the gasoline grade in the first four entries. The first four were actually premium unleaded (92 octane), not regular (87). I'll probably give acetone a try in the Saab just to see what happens. I'm pretty happy with the economy so far though. On my last tank, the EDU was dead on, and in mixed driving, fuel economy was already 6.8% higher than Saab/EPA estimated in pure highway driving (after correcting distance for larger tire size). On my current tank, the EDU is reading 28.8 MPG so far in mixed driving, 15% better than I should expect for all highway. So no complaints, especially since I am still running snow tires, and I'm reasonably sure we are still using winter-blend fuel.

bkrell 6th April 2007 04:20 PM

Okay, whatever. I won't interrupt everyones' conspiracy theory daydreams. Regardless, acetone has not worked for me in any quantity. :roll:

But I do live near an Exxon station.....perhaps some little ExxonMobil man in black is tampering with my gas tank to prevent me from seeing gains from acetone use? Yep, that's gotta be it!

Aaron Gilbert 6th April 2007 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkrell
Okay, whatever. I won't interrupt everyones' conspiracy theory daydreams. Regardless, acetone has not worked for me in any quantity. :roll:

Who mentioned conspiracy theories? All I implied was that big oil has a huge impact on govermental policies and regulations (as do the automakers). Those aren't theories, they are fact, sad though it may be.

I believe that in our lifetime things will finally change, so that the government and businesses operate primarily in the interest of the people, rather than greed, power, and self-gratification.

Alan S 6th April 2007 08:31 PM

spreadsheets

Aaron

I afraid I'm not organised enough to keep spreadsheets, but I will keep you posted if I have any other positive news re mpg. I will be ordering a fog warmer soon which basically runs off the fuel line and thermally connects to the radiator hose, thereby preheating the fuel before injection. Will let you know! You probably think I'm a bit of a nut driving an Aero and worrying about mpg, but my attitude is if you can spend a bit and save more, as well as having a bit of fun along the way, then nothing but good can come of it. I agree with your comments about the oil business, and hope that one day their stranglehold will loosen. Bit bloody ironic seeing as I make my living from it!