SaabCentral Forums

SaabCentral Forums (http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop (http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Transmission Range Sensor (http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80269)

jadkins 24th July 2006 12:13 PM

Transmission Range Sensor

The gearbox light came on recently in my 2000 9-3. I had the code read and it was showing a code of P0705 "Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Malfunction (PRNDL Input)". Does anyone have any idea what would cause this? I have been searching around on the internet and throughout this forum and have not been able to find any reference to this error code.

Any help would be appreciated

earthworm 24th July 2006 12:30 PM

A lack of voltage could be a cause, either due to the battery/charging system or to corrosion on the connectors.
If not, maybe the shift adjustment is out a tad....
Electronics can be too fragile...

jadkins 24th July 2006 01:04 PM

Thanks for the response. Lack of voltage could be the problem. I just had to replace my battery so something may not be working exactly right with that system. When you refer ro corrosion on the connectors do you mean connectors on the battery or do you mean on the transmission range sensor itself? Where is the Transmission range sensor located so that I can check it?

Thanks again.

earthworm 24th July 2006 01:15 PM

You do NOT want to have any corrosion anywhere ; battery terminals are easy to clean, but this range switch is below the battery on the transmission..

Over the years fumes from the battery cause damage, new ones use a vented cover which should help...

psymon 5th December 2006 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jadkins
The gearbox light came on recently in my 2000 9-3. I had the code read and it was showing a code of P0705 "Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Malfunction (PRNDL Input)". Does anyone have any idea what would cause this? I have been searching around on the internet and throughout this forum and have not been able to find any reference to this error code.

Any help would be appreciated

I just got a check gearbox light on my car and the code was p0705. Were you able to resolve your issue? The car now feels like its in 'winter' mode or limp mode when I drive it. But If i put the car through 3- 2- 1 gears, occasionally it acts normal again. This is on a 97 900se auto. Any help is appreciated. The battery is less than a year old and this problem is sort of out of the blue. Is there any mechanical thing I can look at or adjust? Thanks

liketheword 5th December 2006 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psymon
I just got a check gearbox light on my car and the code was p0705. Were you able to resolve your issue? The car now feels like its in 'winter' mode or limp mode when I drive it. But If i put the car through 3- 2- 1 gears, occasionally it acts normal again. This is on a 97 900se auto. Any help is appreciated. The battery is less than a year old and this problem is sort of out of the blue. Is there any mechanical thing I can look at or adjust? Thanks

The fact that the error is: "Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Malfunction (PRNDL Input)" makes me think there is nothing mechanical you can do about it. Recommend electrical troublshooting. Sorry I am not up on the auto tranny...

psymon 5th December 2006 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liketheword
The fact that the error is: "Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Malfunction (PRNDL Input)" makes me think there is nothing mechanical you can do about it. Recommend electrical troublshooting. Sorry I am not up on the auto tranny...

Would you think it can be the netural safety switch? Where is this Transmission Range Sensor located?? Anyone know??

blue900s 6th December 2006 07:57 AM

On the NGs, the range sensor is on top of the tranny, right under the battery. It's easy to spot because of the fat shifter cable going to it.

psymon 6th December 2006 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue900s
On the NGs, the range sensor is on top of the tranny, right under the battery. It's easy to spot because of the fat shifter cable going to it.

Is the range sensor the same thing as the Neutral Safety Switch? I am confused..

earthworm 6th December 2006 01:03 PM

So am I :nono;

Another terminology thing.
My el-cheapo "quicky" book simply shows a "neutral position switch" which controls the start function and reversing lights..

blue900s 6th December 2006 01:49 PM

The neutral safety start switch is under the shifter console, and allows a start only when the shifter is in park or neutral (auto). On a manual, the safety switch is located by the clutch pedal. The range sensor simply tells the ECU what gear the car is in so thet it can adjust RPM or map fuel and ignition parameters (notice when you are stopped and you move the shifter from D to N the RPMs momentarily rise as the engine is "unloaded", then drops back to 1000 as the ECU compensates via the IAC). The reverse lights are controlled my a mechanical switch on the tranny housing that completes the circuit for the lights when the shifter is moved to reverse......the neutral safety switch has NOTHING to do with the reverse lights.

earthworm 6th December 2006 06:17 PM

Blue, please make reference to Haynes 7B-4....

The old Saab 99/900 neutral switch/reverse light switch was located on the console....The Saab 900ng is totally different - some of the engine is unchanged, and that is about it,I think...

According to "you know who", the range switch controls the transmission as well as the aforementioned switches - a reason why it is so damned expensive...

Of course, I hope someone chimes in and varifies the Haynes manual...

psymon 6th December 2006 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earthworm

The old Saab 99/900 neutral switch/reverse light switch was located on the console....The Saab 900ng is totally different - some of the engine is unchanged, and that is about it,I think...

According to "you know who", the range switch controls the transmission as well as the aforementioned switches - a reason why it is so damned expensive...

So you are saying essentially it is all packed into the same device? I have a spare car that I get parts off as needed. Just need to know what part to take off/swap.

earthworm 6th December 2006 09:39 PM

It is the Haynes manual implying this...I think they are correct.

What is your car doing, Psymom ?

psymon 6th December 2006 11:59 PM

Quote:

It is the Haynes manual implying this...I think they are correct.

What is your car doing, Psymom ?

Well I got the check Enging/ Check Gearbox light on Monday, but the car drove fine. Tuesday the lights are still on and the car drives in limp mode on and off. Pulled the code and it was P0709 Transmission Range Sensor out of range.

blue900s 7th December 2006 10:13 AM

Quote:

I just went out and took another look... there is what appears to be a reverse light switch on the tranny but I could be wrong. I don't have a Haynes but I am gonna disconnect the "reverse light switch" on the tranny and see if it affects the reverse lights.

psymon 8th December 2006 02:39 PM

well i just took out the neutral safety switch/trans range sensor out of my spare car. Took quite some time and it is brutally cold out. I will wait probably till next week beore i make the swap with my car. For now I will just drive the vert around.

earthworm 8th December 2006 02:53 PM

Guys, why do you think this range switch is so damned expensive ? Is it adjustible or cleanable ?. Do they use gold plated contacts ? At its price, it should be 100% relieable...

Not a good experience I had with the '85 Volkswagen Golf back-up light switch - apparently very well made and designed, and very expensive; But no more durable that the old $ 3.00 switch that Saab used back in the 60s.

Now, VW sales (in the USA) trail both Mercedes and BMW.... this has to be embarrassing for them......

blue900s 8th December 2006 11:16 PM

Quote:

Guys, why do you think this range switch is so damned expensive ? Is it adjustible or cleanable ?. Do they use gold plated contacts ? At its price, it should be 100% relieable...

Not a good experience I had with the '85 Volkswagen Golf back-up light switch - apparently very well made and designed, and very expensive; But no more durable that the old $ 3.00 switch that Saab used back in the 60s.

Now, VW sales (in the USA) trail both Mercedes and BMW.... this has to be embarrassing for them......

I dunno about Saabs, but on my 01 Rodeo the range sensor is cleanable. On top of that, it's so dang easy to get to....

earthworm 19th June 2007 02:19 PM

Well, I hope that now all agree that the auto-trans range switch and neutral switch are one and the same and that this baby can be serviced fairly easily.

To add some fly to the ointment , on the Automatic there are two shaft speed sensors, one - input, the second - output,

Sorry, no pics as yet..