SaabCentral Forums

SaabCentral Forums (http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop (http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Bridgestone VS. Goodyear (http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151470)

TXTurbo 9th March 2009 07:41 PM

Bridgestone VS. Goodyear

Finally getting tires this week and have narrowed to the following:

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetric

Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS Pole Position

235/45-R17.

My main concerns are quiet and durability, with handling second, I drive A LOT of highway miles. Any comments or words of amazement? The reviews for both are pretty positive on this forum and the other reviews I've read.

Interesting side note, I've gotten 35,000+ miles out of my original Conti's! They are down to the wear indicators, but impressive nonetheless.

GWC 9th March 2009 08:10 PM

I'll follow this thread as I have the same question ... but, I only have 18,000 mi and my tires are down to the wear indicators too ...

MikeMcCarthy 9th March 2009 09:43 PM

i am also down to the wires in my orginal conti's. i have to admit...even in the snow here in connecticut last week...they were great. i am trying to find some good guidance on replacements...

i am looking at Firestone's FUZION ZRI235/45R17....$168 per tire ($106 for the tire and the difference in the balance, allign, labor, etc.) Any reviews on these bad boys?

RITmusic2k 9th March 2009 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXTurbo
...Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetric...

...Any comments or words of amazement? The reviews for both are pretty positive on this forum and the other reviews I've read...

Not sure if my review from last week was among the ones you read, but if not... I will repeat 'till the end of time how wonderful these tires are. There are people on Tirerack who've managed to get between 30,000 and 40,000 miles on them with regular rotations... which is very good for a tire that doesn't come with a mileage warrantee of any kind.

And as far as words of amazement go, a moving picture is worth thousands of words, so I'm going to post up my youtube video from another thread of mine, doing rolling acceleration tests. My Vig is evidently modded more than I thought it was, and this vid shows me putting gobs of power into my Asymmetrics and they're handling it like champs. Throughout all these tests the tires did not chirp or squeal or spin once. They just GO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wkgzU01AP8

Ferms_93_2.8T 9th March 2009 10:51 PM

The RE960's are fantastic tires. I have a friend that has them on a 4motion VW. He absolutely loves them. He also does a lot of hwy miles. Last time I saw them he had about 10-15K miles on them and they looked brand new. He said he is expecting atleast 40-50k miles out of them. He drives his car pretty hard. He also goes on some very intense backroad drives with us and they handle very well. Actually, in corners he catches up with me very well. But I leave him in the dust on straight aways. Anyway, they are rated #1 on tireracks website for ultra high performance all-season.

I have also heard really good things about the Goodyear F1's Asymetric. And also the F1 GS-D3. And that is a cool looking tire. Love the tread pattern.

As far as Fuzion ZRI's... they are not a very good tire. Treadwear is bad, handling is bad. My wife has them on her prelude and I can't stand them. Read reviews about them. You could easily get some General Exclaim UHP's or even Excsta Asx for the same amount. Sorry for the Biased comments about these.

Dave 37 9th March 2009 11:11 PM

I use the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric in the size you mention, 235/45R17 97Y. Perhaps there is someone who has tried both?

The Goodyear tire is a nice tire. I completely ignore quietness and ride in deciding what tire to buy but these tires are quiet! Where I live, there is frequent light rain but rare torrential downpours. The tire behaves quite well in wet. When it is below 5 degrees C/39 degrees F and wet, the tire starts to become unstable as all summer tires do.
There have been tire tests between the Bridgestone mentioned the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 and some other tires. There are also tests between those other tires the the F1 Asymmetric. From there, one can approximately compare the Bridgestone and Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics.

Bridgestone makes a better tire, the Potenza RE-001 which is not sold in the US. One of our fellow SC colleagues writes "The RE-001 are OK. They are better on dry surfaces though. They don't do that well in the wet so I have to be careful. So far, still OK. I'll probably change to another tyre the next time"

One thing that I don't like is the Eagle F1 GS-D3 is sometimes made in the People's Republic of China. It's also made in Thailand (not sold in the US) and Germany but if you buy it by mail, you usually can't specify. The F1 Asymmetrics are made in Germany. The RE-001 is made in Australia and Japan. The 960AS is an all season design and probably not as good in moderate and warm weather than the RE-001. Bridgestone also makes the Potenza RE-050 and RE-050I. The RE-050I are made in India.

Cosmicflash 9th March 2009 11:19 PM

Dave 37,Nice post on country of origin. I, too, follow that quite closely.

Bridgestone overall makes a better tire than Goodyear. The RE 960 is an excellent tire.

You might also want to look at the BFG G-force SuperSport A/S--a very good tire as well.
Also the Kuhmos and Falkens are a pretty good value.

aaronlindstrom 9th March 2009 11:42 PM

I've got the 960s on mine and they are great, even in light/medium snow. Road noise isn't bad, but it won't be as quiet as a grand touring tire. The only time I really notice noise is when I'm going over expansion joints and rough roads. Part of that may be due to the fact that I need to replace my strut mount thrust bearings though :(

AKS 9th March 2009 11:55 PM

Pole Position's on my c230 coupe and have to say best tires i've ever had.

Dave 37 10th March 2009 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmicflash

You might also want to look at the BFG G-force SuperSport A/S--a very good tire as well.

The BFG tests well. One poster once thought that it was not very good in snow. I haven't driven on any BFG tires in many years.

If the choice is between the RE960AS and the F1 Asymmetric, I think you can't go wrong with either except if you try to drive either in the snow or the F1 Asymmetric during the winter. One is probably slightly better for your needs than the other, but neither is a bad choice.

In general, Michelins tend to be more expensive for the same type of tire. Goodyear and Bridgestone sometimes are. Yokohama, BF Goodrich and Dunlop are usually not overpriced.

EDIT: The original post mentions quiet and durability as the #1 concern. Summer tires usually have a treadwear of 180-280. All season tires tend to have a treadwear of 400-500 so a performance oriented all season may be the original poster's choice. For me, a treadwear 200 tire will last 10,000-20,000 miles, probably closer to 20. A treadwear 400 tire will last 20-40k miles, probably closer to 40k. I used to never rotate my tires but now that I have snow tires, I rotate them and keep better records on exactly how much tread depth remains. It's frightening :o that I can now look up how many weeks and miles that my wipers lasted or the exact dates that I bought gas.

MooF 10th March 2009 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferms_93_2.8T
The RE960's are fantastic tires. I have a friend that has them on a 4motion VW. He absolutely loves them. He also does a lot of hwy miles. Last time I saw them he had about 10-15K miles on them and they looked brand new. He said he is expecting atleast 40-50k miles out of them. He drives his car pretty hard. He also goes on some very intense backroad drives with us and they handle very well. Actually, in corners he catches up with me very well. But I leave him in the dust on straight aways. Anyway, they are rated #1 on tireracks website for ultra high performance all-season.

I have also heard really good things about the Goodyear F1's Asymetric. And also the F1 GS-D3. And that is a cool looking tire. Love the tread pattern.

As far as Fuzion ZRI's... they are not a very good tire. Treadwear is bad, handling is bad. My wife has them on her prelude and I can't stand them. Read reviews about them. You could easily get some General Exclaim UHP's or even Excsta Asx for the same amount. Sorry for the Biased comments about these.

+1
I have the Pole Positions and they are quiet yet long tread life. A bit pricey, but worth it if its in your budget.
I can't speak too much about that particular Goodyear, aside from the fact I'm not a GY fan of their midlevel tires.

The Fuzions may as well be the biggest disappointment in the history of tires. They will run quiet and well for the first 2k miles only. horrible tire.
At $168/tire, its a waste of about $167. Avoid at all costs.

DanS 10th March 2009 07:50 AM

Haven't been happy with Goodyear tires the past couple times I've bought them. Always had good results with Bridgestone. Currently driving Bridgestone g019 (next tire down from pole positions) and happy.

I tend to find a couple brands and shop among them to the exclusion of others, but Goodyear is a marginal brand with some good tires that I would consider. The F1's are one that I would consider based on tread design, sidewall and reviews. With that being said, I would still get the Bridgestone's.

TXTurbo 10th March 2009 09:15 AM

Thanks to all who weighed in! I'll le toyu all know hat I end up with and my initial thoughts.

Has anyone purchased at Discount TIre? After comparison they seem to be the least expensive when factoring installation, balancing etc into the equation. I'm wondering how much I can push on the price if I buy 4, given how tough things ae everywhere(I refuse to use the "R" word).

RITmusic2k 10th March 2009 10:52 AM

Generally, Discount Tire will have the lowest prices around for brick-and-mortar locations... but it might be because they're pulling from old stock.

When I got mine, Discount Tire had the F1 Asymmetrics for sale for $161 each... but they were the four-year old product on a now-discontinued part number, 91 load rating.

I took that quote to Goodyear (who could do alignment services when Discount Tire couldn't), and they gave me the new stock, 94 load rating, for $171 each, which was their cost. They normally sold for $215 each. So, one way or another, there are bargains to be found.

Also, if it wasn't mentioned above, the Asymmetrics are *silent* on the highway. But yeah, you should be pleased if you get more than 25,000 miles on them.

Cosmicflash 10th March 2009 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXTurbo
Thanks to all who weighed in! I'll le toyu all know hat I end up with and my initial thoughts.

Has anyone purchased at Discount TIre? After comparison they seem to be the least expensive when factoring installation, balancing etc into the equation. I'm wondering how much I can push on the price if I buy 4, given how tough things ae everywhere(I refuse to use the "R" word).

Discount Tire is a great place to buy tires. I've been using them for about 6-7 years after using Tire Rack (actually going to their warehouse for installs).
Discount will match any price, sometimes gives their own mileage warranty outside of manufactures, offers free tire repair and lifetime rotations and balance--pretty hard to beat if you have in your area.

And again Dave 37--I think we have a new tire guru here at SC:lol: I'm enjoying (and more importantly agreeing with) your comments.:p

dbuono14 10th March 2009 12:26 PM

I ended up buying the Bridgestone Potenza RE960 when my OEM tires were gone after 20K. I must say that I'm very pleased with these tires. I still have 16's on my Arc so I went with a 215/55/16 and they were around 160 each. I bought the tires at Mr. Tire which is on every corner here in MD.

Anyways after 30K on the tires they are still holding up great. They are a bit expensive, but well worth they money.

ak1551 10th March 2009 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeMcCarthy
i am also down to the wires in my orginal conti's. i have to admit...even in the snow here in connecticut last week...they were great. i am trying to find some good guidance on replacements...

i am looking at Firestone's FUZION ZRI235/45R17....$168 per tire ($106 for the tire and the difference in the balance, allign, labor, etc.) Any reviews on these bad boys?

I had some Fuzion HRIs in 235/45/17 and they last a really long time. I had them for 60K miles and they still had a lot of tread on them when I sold the car (06 VW GLI). I actually felt the HRIs were pretty decent in terms of handling and they are cheaper than the ZRI. The HRI is pretty good in snow and ice for an all season. They aren't for the track but they are very good as far as comfort, quietness, wear and cost. (I got the HRIs for $89 each + mounting and balancing. Total came out to just under $400 w/ taxes, fees and install.) So get the HRIs if you're thinking FUZION. Also, 225/45/17 will increase fuel economy by about 1-3 mpg highway and city.

Road Warrior 10th March 2009 12:47 PM

I might not have my facts right but I think the Eagle F1 asymetric is a summer tire and the RE960 AS PP an all season.

I have the Eagle F1 all seasons (not the asymetics) in 235/40 18. Definitely provide more grip than an untuned 93 requires. I've put 5k on them so far and they don't look worn at all.

Check the weight of your options. The extra 7lbs I've added per tire/rim combo hurts HP and is very noticeable. For me, this is not an apples to apples comparison because I moved up from the puny 215/55/16 roller skate wheels to the giant 235/40/18 meats. I might consider the more expensive but lighter Michelin options for my next set.

MooF 10th March 2009 01:24 PM

Good point, we need to know what the purpose these tires will serve.

Apparently the Potenza's are good for an a/s. But depending on your climate, All seaon = no season and a winter rated tire is what you need for the cold months. If you need winters and don't like the idea of swapping, there is a Nokian model that is also severe winter rated, but can be kept on year round. They are one of the first to come up with the correct compound to handle a real winter and summer.

TXTurbo 10th March 2009 03:51 PM

I actually thought I would go with the Bridgestone's, until I saw RIT's review of the Goodyear's. You are correct that the GY's are summer, but I live in Houston, so those are fine here. But, for the kind of money I'm spending on tires, I want them to last longer than what the GY's are likely to provide. So I think I will likely go with the Potenza's because they sound like they are quiet, good performers in all seasons and it sounds like they will last longer.