SaabCentral Forums banner

Dash lights question

735 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  gto47 
#1 ·
Hey guys, quick question.

After I fixed the SID display, I noticed the bulb that illuminated the "night panel" was out. So, I pulled the SID and sure enough, it was toast. After searching here, I found a site that showed how to replace the bulb in the holder using some radio shack parts.

Well, I tried that and all seems well, now the bulb behind the (-) looking button on the SID is toast. Does using non-OEM bulbs as shown have any adverse effects, or is it just a coincidence that this other bulb crapped out right after?

#3 ·
Seeing that you are in the US and your car is almost 9 years old....

Your vehicle probably had fuse 35 installed for most of its life. I'm not sure if the dash lights are on all the time (because I can't tell when the sun is out) or if they are turned on by the ECU when the Sunlight sensor says its dark, but it is still more than if they were only on when you manually turned on the headlights.

Long story short - since your bulbs have been on for a very long time - they will start dying now, and probably in bunches....

So I'd replace all of the SID lights this time if I were you...

#4 ·
Al's Red Wagon said:
Seeing that you are in the US and your car is almost 9 years old....

Your vehicle probably had fuse 35 installed for most of its life. I'm not sure if the dash lights are on all the time (because I can't tell when the sun is out) or if they are turned on by the ECU when the Sunlight sensor says its dark, but it is still more than if they were only on when you manually turned on the headlights.

Long story short - since your bulbs have been on for a very long time - they will start dying now, and probably in bunches....

So I'd replace all of the SID lights this time if I were you...
Good point, I never thought about them being on with the DRLs. Guess another radio-scrap trip is in store. Fuse 35 was yanked out quickly once I brought her home by the way, lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.