SaabCentral Forums banner

Low Coolant - other than tank leak?

8K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  bogdi1988 
#1 ·
I have an '06 9-3 V6 aero that has a low coolant message. There is still some in the tank. Having checked the forums I was worried about needing a new tank. It's at the dealership and passed a pressure test. We have had to refill the tank twice now in just under 20k miles (<2 years). Leaking cylinder head? "normal" consumption? Any other thoughts? Thanks

#2 ·
JamesS-S said:
I have an '06 9-3 V6 aero that has a low coolant message. There is still some in the tank. Having checked the forums I was worried about needing a new tank. It's at the dealership and passed a pressure test. We have had to refill the tank twice now in just under 20k miles (<2 years). Leaking cylinder head? "normal" consumption? Any other thoughts? Thanks
I have an 07 Aero with 10k miles with the same problem. Low coolent message at 2k, 5k, and 7k, no leaks found. I topped it, spilt it everywhere and was on my way. I'd like to figure this out as well...

#3 ·
Ironically, I am taking mine in for the exact same reason. I had the tank replaced about a year ago, and every so often would smell antifreeze. So, since I have to take trip this weekend, no problem to run it into the dealer for a checkup.
My old Escape had this occur, never really found a leak. Happened every time the weather wen cold in the fall. Hmmm...:roll:
I'll report back if they find anything.

#4 ·
I just got mine back from the dealership for some warranty work. One thing was the low coolant thing again. I have had 5 tanks in my '06 Aero so this was nothing new. The last time I got the "new" updated tank put in. To my happy suprise it was not the tank leaking. The lower coolant line into the turbo was 1/2 a turn loose. It was loose enough to give me a low coolant message after 10K miles.

#9 ·
It appears we are not alone.

Ferms_93_2.8T said:
I just got mine back from the dealership for some warranty work. One thing was the low coolant thing again. I have had 5 tanks in my '06 Aero so this was nothing new. The last time I got the "new" updated tank put in. To my happy suprise it was not the tank leaking. The lower coolant line into the turbo was 1/2 a turn loose. It was loose enough to give me a low coolant message after 10K miles.
Thanks for the suggestions. It's reassuring to know I'm not alone - I think? The turbo coolant line is an interesting suggestion as the hot turbo would likely burn off any evidence of pink crystalline coolant deposits. I'll update the post if I come up with anything definitive. Thanks again.

#11 ·
Mines has been acting up as well in the past month or so. Took it to the dealership and hey said it's the head gasket. He did a compression check and i'm definately losing compression, therefore a leak in the head gasket. Since i know a few friends inside, with parts and labor he'll do it for 400 to replace ALL the gaskets within the area. Compare to the dealership wanting $1450.00 total for parts and labor!!! :eek: a bought another coolant bottle before knowing the real problem before hand. Now i don't need it. Anyone want it? :cheesy:

#12 ·
Update

Well, I got my car back. They said there was a minor amount of leakage from the tank, and replaced it. No biggie. While I had it there I had a couple of small details looked at. Forgot to ask if they are using the newest tank that supposedly fixes the problem permanently - darn, darn, darn.

The dealer is pretty decent - they asked if I have snows to put on, as the originals are getting low on tread-life. This is one area I'm none too thrilled - the original Conti's have about 10k miles, and surely haven't been abused (the car has 20k, but I switch to snow tires for 4 months a year)!! I intend to ask the Conti rep to see if they will give any sort of adjustment to buy a new set. If not, then Bridgestone Pole Positions will be adorning my car very soon.

#13 ·
dizwhoadayjohn said:
Mines has been acting up as well in the past month or so. Took it to the dealership and hey said it's the head gasket. He did a compression check and i'm definately losing compression, therefore a leak in the head gasket. Since i know a few friends inside, with parts and labor he'll do it for 400 to replace ALL the gaskets within the area. Compare to the dealership wanting $1450.00 total for parts and labor!!! :eek: a bought another coolant bottle before knowing the real problem before hand. Now i don't need it. Anyone want it? :cheesy:
I'll take your bottle if it's free!!:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy: Couldn't hurt to have an extra on hand for the future. How much did that cost you?? And I assume we are talking about the black V6 bottle.

#14 ·
TJN said:
Well, I got my car back. They said there was a minor amount of leakage from the tank, and replaced it. No biggie. While I had it there I had a couple of small details looked at. Forgot to ask if they are using the newest tank that supposedly fixes the problem permanently - darn, darn, darn.

The dealer is pretty decent - they asked if I have snows to put on, as the originals are getting low on tread-life. This is one area I'm none too thrilled - the original Conti's have about 10k miles, and surely haven't been abused (the car has 20k, but I switch to snow tires for 4 months a year)!! I intend to ask the Conti rep to see if they will give any sort of adjustment to buy a new set. If not, then Bridgestone Pole Positions will be adorning my car very soon.
I work at a saab dealership and the conti's really dont last long at all. we reccomend pirelli p6 they have about twice the life span of the conti's that come stock

#15 ·
TJN said:

Don't count on Conti doing anything:evil: I did the same as mine were about bald at 25,000 miles and the tire has a 40,000 mi. warranty for non oem purchases. They denied any compensations whatsoever and said they were overinflated as the center wore out more than edges.

These Aero's seem to wear out the center for some reason. My Falken ZE 512's are about shot at 16,000 miles however that is due to track days. These tires are worn in the center as well. I check my tires frequently and keep right at 35 psi:roll:

#17 ·
dizwhoadayjohn said:
No Dead Giveaway White Smoke? Oil Contamination?

#19 ·
Hey Cosmic and McCarthy

Continental agreed to a 50% adjustment - twice!
I had gone to the preferred Conti rep _ Nat'l Tire & Battery - and got the adjustment , as long as I purchsed the exact same tires.

Well, these doofus's kept jerking me around, until they finally admitted they couldn't order these tires (which the Conti rep said was BS - they could have them in 5 days if they wanted). Anyway, I'd had enough of these idiots, and went to Sears (who said they could have 'em in 3 days). Well, Conti said I had to go through the evaluation process all over again;oops: ! Thought I was lucky the 1st time and would not do that well again, but it turns out they just agreed to the prior adjustment - whew!!:roll:

So, after all is said'n'done, I bought some nice summer Ronal R41's (thanks for the help Jim and Adam from Ronal) that I'll have the new Conti's mounted. and the OE Aero rims with the Michelin X-Ice for winter.

Moral of the story is that you should approach the OE tire manufacturer, these days they MAY offer some incentive to stick around.

Hey, sorry for hijack...

#21 ·
RobSails said:
There was a problem of some engine blocks being porous. I looked at an 04 Conv that had the tranny replaced due to coolant in it, most of the hoses and the tank(s), and then finally they put in a new block. No further complaints.
the porous blocks are common on the 4cyl 9-3's. we've had a bunch come in at the dealership not too long ago. the v6's are most commonly the tank.

#22 ·
had the same issue. it turned out that the cap for the coolant tank was faulty. it has a built in valve and that valve should move freely. it costs about $16 at the dealer and online it is for about the same price.

i have a 9-3, '04, 2.0t. i used to have to add more coolant every 1-2 months. now it's all fine. also, before changing the cap, car would turn on the fans for a while after the engine was turned off. now there is no need for that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.