SaabCentral Forums banner

Shifter Knobs

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  ParaMedic_Saab 
#1 ·
Just wondering if I can put any shifter knob in my SE with a 5-speed. I figure I am not removing the reverse switch, so is there anything special about sizing ?

#4 ·
The knob is glued to the end of the metal shaft and consists of a nylon inner core and the leather outer part. I replaced mine as the leather had worn through. I cut it off the shaft with a sharp knife and used a screwdriver to split the nylon core. The new knob needs a few good thumps to seat it on the end of the shaft far enough to enable the reverse lift mech to operate so that you can engage 5th without overshooting to far right.

#7 ·
Ok, so I have done my research on how to remove the knob and such. I am looking at a momo shift knob as they make specific knobs for reverse lockout cars.

My question now is, after I saw everything off and I am down to bare metal shaft, do i need that plastic insert to install the momo shift knob ?

Anyone installed anything other than a stock knob.

Thanks

Edit here is the knob " Aluminum " S" " Under shift knobs
http://momocanada.com

#8 · (Edited)
so here's what i thought of when i was messing around with my knob, i mean shifter, haha!...

The white insert will not fit into the momo inside diameter and you can't turn it on a lath either to make it fit....The white inserts job is to 1)stop the black guide tube from dropping to far when the spring pushes it down and 2) to keep the assembly aligned. What you can do is use a a hose clamp on the bottom of the metal shaft (at the right spot to use the 5th gear rail) to stop the black tube from traveling to far and inside the hose clamp between the shaft put a small rod that will fit into the slots on the bottom of the black tube to keep it aligned...

Also you may want to stay away from an all aluminum shifter in our climate!...i had one on my 9000 cs and in winter if froze my hand every morning and i ended up putting a spare glove over the shifter all winter to avoid touching it directly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.