SaabCentral Forums banner

Saab itch got me again!

942 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Hu Flung Dung 
#1 ·
Hello to those who I've talked to in the past! :D
After being Saab-less for quite some time, that 'itch' got to me and I got a 1991 900S 16V NA convertible for the grand total of $750! ?It has a brand new top, newly covered seats, and was driven by a well-to-do older lady since new who took it to a Saab mechanic in her town. It of course needs a bunch of little things here and there repaired, but it started right up and drove even after sitting in a grass lot for many many months! I had to tow it about 160 miles in terrible thinderstorms but finally got it home.
Things it needs or I've noticed different from my two other Saabs (and '86 and and '85):
1. SRS dash light is on.
2. Anti-lock dash light is on.
3. Stoplight switch needs replaced (getting one today on the way home).
4. Stereo dead (gonna put CD player from my truck in it so I don't care).
5. Tires - getting some tomorrow.
6. Stalls when I get to traffic light or stop sign...ran out of time to troubleshoot yesterday.
7. Fuel gauge not working.
8. Speedometer not working (in my wife's Volvo 850 when the SRS module dies, it makes the speedometer stop working....same thing with the Saab?).
9. No 5th injector/cold start?
10. No manual transmission dipstick? Just a plug.
11. Small plastic PS resevoir instead of that large metal one that my other Saabs had.

Other than these things, everything else seems fine...I hit the junkyard yesterday and there just happened to be a white convertible there! I got a tail light assembly, headlight, dash light switch, and the trunk lid....this Saab had been 'gently' hit in the rear. All of the times I've been to that junkyard I've never seen a white convertible so it was my lucky day I guess.
Anyway it's good to be back in the Saab world again!
Good day to all -
Lars

See less See more
#3 ·
1. Probably had a bad clockspring contact that triggered code. I would live with it. Airbag probably still functional. You can test this.
2. check codes in ABS system, probably bad contact
7. check wiring to tank sender
8. NO
9. YES
10. YES, plug has dipstick inside, 19mm wrench
11. YES all 16 v have this remote-reservoir as the head is "too fat" to fit the GM style integrated pump.

#5 ·
jetman said:
9, 10, 11 are differences between 8 valves and 16 valves.
Um, the long dipstick tube vs mini dipstick is a 91+ 5-speed feature, not an 8-valve vs 16-valve feature.

My 89 SPG 16-valve has the long transmission dipstick. I had to source a 91+ mini dipstick cover to fit my Equal Length tubular exhaust manifold.

#6 ·
amish_geek said:
Um, the long dipstick tube vs mini dipstick is a 91+ 5-speed feature, not an 8-valve vs 16-valve feature.

My 89 SPG 16-valve has the long transmission dipstick. I had to source a 91+ mini dipstick cover to fit my Equal Length tubular exhaust manifold.
<waves> '90 T16, with a little stubby dipsticklet.

#7 ·
HA....:cheesy:!

....yep, I sure know about 'that' itch! ;)

and, it's that sort of itch that can't be soothed by a cream from the chemist!

Only a good dose of C900 cures 'the' itch! ;)

#8 ·
So I've replaced the stoplight switch, a handful of lamps here and there, cleaned the AIC valve...I think that's what it's called if I remember correctly, sprayed out the throttle, fixed a couple vacuum lines, and now the Saab seems to be driving well. It still stalls when cold but only when I come to a slowdown after driving it or revving the gas while before the engine gets warm. I checked the diz cap and rotor and man are they worn, so I'm sure it needs a full tune up. I went to eeuroparts and got everything except the O2 sensor (probably should have though) and can't wait 'till it all arrives. I also changes the oil today and some other little things.
Still need to fix the speedometer and the fuel sending unit!
It's a fun car though, I drove my wife to pick up my son from school and other than it stalling 4-5 times we had a blast with the top down and I missed that Saab 'feel' I guess you could call it.
Oh yeah - one more thing, something I learned on this forum back when I had alternator trouble with one of my other Saabs:
I got a new battery for this Saab but after driving it around I noticed the battery was low! crap! I stuck my meter to the alternator while it was running and only 12V! Well the first thing I did was check the ground...it was ok, then I looked to see if the battery lamp was lit on the dash when I turned the key....nope! I replaced it and it lit up, so when I started the Saab again BAM it started charging! Without that battery lamp on, the exciter circuit can't get the alternator charging. Glad my memory is ok!
Thanks again everyone - cheers,
Lars

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.