SaabCentral Forums banner

turbo upgrade on a 9-3

3K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  chance0013 
#1 ·
Hey all, I have a 1999 9-3, and recently acquired a TD04 turbocharger for it. I already have the necessary components to install it, but a friend told me that it would blow up my motor at 2.5k rpms... It's a TD04 19T, and where I bought it, said it FITS and WORKS WITH my 1999 9-3. any thoughts?

#2 ·
not sure if he mean "blow up" as a good thing? should spool super qucik and hit a good amount of boost at 2.5k rpms. but if he means blow up blowp up, then he doesnt know what hes talking about. our motors a=can hold stupid amounts of boost and power (i also have a 99 9-3). with the proper tune, downpipe and intake/intercooler set up you should make around 325-350 hp. maybe your buddy is jealous?:cheesy:;ol;

#3 · (Edited)
You are going to need quite a few pieces of additional hardware to run a 19t, but most importantly, you will want to upgrade your suspension if you haven't already (6-pt subframe brace, steering rack clamp, poly bushings, and ARB to name a few). You'll also want to be sure that everything else on your engine is in excellent condition.

Off the top of my head you will then need the following hardware (correct me if I'm wrong or forget anything):
-injectors and fuel pump
-3in tbe
-clutch and pressure plate
-FMIC
-and of course a tune to manage it all

Theres a thread out there somewhere that lists details about all of these parts, but I can't seem to find it right now...

EDIT: Found the thread here.

#5 · (Edited)
By looking at your list of mods you currently have done to your car, you are no where near ready to put a turbo like that in your car... :nono;

I would see if someone has a td04-15t and swap them, if your car doesn't already have one... Is yours a 99 9-3 se?

(edit: just saw yours is a base model and not an SE, so yea go with a 15t)

Or if you wanna keep the 19t start purchasing all the stuff on shaner3721's list...

#6 ·
Hey all, I have a 1999 9-3, and recently acquired a TD04 turbocharger for it. It's a TD04 19T, and where I bought it, said it FITS and WORKS WITH my 1999 9-3. any thoughts?
I would see if someone has a td04-15t and swap them, if your car doesn't already have one... Is yours a 99 9-3 se?

(edit: just saw yours is a base model and not an SE, so yea go with a 15t)

Or if you wanna keep the 19t start purchasing all the stuff on shaner3721's list...
The TD04-19T is a good step up from the Garret T25 you've got in your '99 9-3, the 15T would be quite similar to the T25 so it'd not make any sense.

I think the biggest fitment difference between the T25 and 19T is going to be the size of the oil and coolant line connections. If I remember correctly, the 19T's fittings are smaller than the T25 so some creativity is needed to re-use the existent piping. Other than that, you'll have some challenges with the inlet and outlet piping on the compressor side of the compressor.

As others have noted, to really get any positive effect from the 19T, you'll need to re-tune the ECU and install a larger exhaust on the car. To maximize the effects, you'll need a higher flow fuel pump, bigger fuel injectors and perhaps a different MAP sensor with yet a different tune for the ECU.

#8 ·
Minimally you NEED these:

Some sort of intake (even a K&N panel filter will be better)
Turbo back exhaust (3" Downpipe to some other cat back)
Upgraded intercooler (even a viggen IC, which you don't have, will not suffice for the 19t)

Upgraded fuel injectors
Upgraded fuel pump to handle the injectors and increased demand
A new tune for your ECU to tell everything what the hell to do.

Now while suspension/brakes are not NEEDED, it would be stupid to put that much power into a chassis that can't handle it well.

#9 ·
all i was saying was that you can go to a 15t which is a hands down better turbo than a stock t25...

it also does not require tons of mods to get better power...

and allows you to slowly modify your car so you dont have to dump stupid amounts of money into it all at once..

basically a 19t is a no go on a stock car... ;ol;

#12 ·
all i was saying was that you can go to a 15t which is a hands down better turbo than a stock t25...

it also does not require tons of mods to get better power...

and allows you to slowly modify your car so you dont have to dump stupid amounts of money into it all at once..

basically a 19t is a no go on a stock car... ;ol;
Wow I'm glad to hear that the 15t is hands down better than the stock t25. i just got a 15t and will be installing it next week. I do have a 3" down pipe w/cat, Magnaflow straight thru muffler, K&N air fliter system, Eibach pro springs and Bilstein Sport Shocks. 22mm rear anti-sway bar,bov, and a steering rack clamp. Will my ECU need upgraded or am I ok?

#11 ·
I second what everyone else posted about supporting mods. And if it's a Chinese knockoff from eBay, I'd think twice about using this turbo at all. Some people have had no problems with them, but others have had some spectacular failures. I saw one picture where the guy's turbo housing was split completely in half.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.