SaabCentral Forums banner

rear wheel bearing fixed

697 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  chris_h 
#1 ·
I have solved my high pitched 'moaning' sound on my '89 9000. Initially I could not tell if it was coming from the front or back. After dropping the seats, it was easy to tell it was coming from the back. I still could not be sure which side it was. I guessed it was the nearside, having taken off the rear axle end cap, you could see the heat had damaged the dust seal and grease had come out of the bearing. Getting the 32mm axle nut off was not easy though (210lbft), I had to resort to a compressor driven pnematic impact driver. The new one is easy to fit as it comes prefitted with the hub. It pricier than just the bearing but you don't need a press to fit it. Also it is worth noting that you don't need to remove the whole brake caliper, only the part you remove as if fitting new pads. There is sufficient clearánce to remove the disc with the main caliper mounts still fitted. Its nice to have got rid of the moaning and get back to the silence again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.