SaabCentral Forums banner

Ghetto Viggen bumpers?!

754 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  SaabLV93 
#1 ·
Right then, the day is getting closer that my Viggen bumpers are to be sprayed and fitted shortly afterward... :cheesy:

So. I've got both Viggen bumper covers, the rear bumper already has the steel and obviously the foam fitted to it and I have a spare NG900 bumper in the garage that I am going to sacrifice for the steel and foam.

That part is easy.

Now the more difficult elements:
1) I gather that I need to get a front undertray to stop the front end lifting at speed. Now, I've priced up new components, and it's going to cost £100 for the two sides and £130 for the middle! That's £230 for three bits of plastic!!

Obviously this isn't going to be like that, I'm not spending £230 on something like that! I have spoken to a mate of mine who (while not only being my trusted mechanic who is also a good mate i.e. free!) happens to work right next door to a sign making shop for the Council :cheesy:

Soo... he's going to make me up a stainless steel undertray/skidtray for the bumper. Is there anything I particularly need to be aware of when making this? I suspect that my 3" DP may require a slight 'lip' - can anyone confirm?

2) I am told I should get Viggen specific side clips to clip the sides of the bumper on to the front wings. Pricing these up they are £33 each. I can stomach £70 just about for these, but what are my alternatives?! I am open to all suggestions including cable ties (same guy happens to work for the Fire Service so they have access to the biggest bloody cable ties you've ever seen!!) - will this work? What are the differences between the Viggen side clips and the NG900 side clips?

nb. I also have a standard OG9-3 bumper in the garage, COMPLETE WITH SIDE CLIPS. Can these be substituted for the Viggen ones? :cheesy:

Suggestions welcome guys!

See less See more
#2 ·
You will need to buy the side clips. Unfortunately there's no good way around that if you want the sides of the bumper to be attached to the car. Since the Viggen bumpers are so much deeper than either 900 or 9-3 bumpers, the clips are much longer and the attachment points are somewhat different.

I don't think you'll need any kind of lip for the undertray to clear your downpipe. The stock one is pretty much flat against the metal parts it screws to, and I didn't have any fittment issues when I installed a 3" downpipe on my car. The only concern I can think of, and this would be more of an issue with a metal plate, is that the front edge of the undertray attaches to a point on the bumper that's lower than where it attaches to the body. You'd have to bend a metal piece in a couple of places to get it to fit properly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.