SaabCentral Forums banner

1/4 mile racing today 13:94 at 108.69mph

4K views 76 replies 17 participants last post by  John Z Williams 
#1 ·
Put the vert on the 1/4 mile track today, this run was against a brand new Corvette Z-06 with intake and exhaust. I only got in 3 runs and the first one ever was 14:74 at 106.73mph, bogged in first, missed second. Second run was 14:30 at 108.08mph and third was 13:94 at 108.69mph

It was great fun and the first two runs I won with a camero in the first run and a loud muscle car in the second run, they were so loud I could not hear my engine and both of them killed me off the line by about 3 cars and then I would real them in and past the camero just at the end and the loud muscle car by the 1000' mark... Check the slips... What great fun!!!

I got kicked out for going too fast in a vert, rule is 13:99, so now they say I need a helmet and sfi fire suit.... Did not mention roll bar... hhhmmm What great fun!!!:cheesy:

John

#4 ·
Wow! You put up one heck of a fight vs those big V8 cars! Great runs!

As for being kicked out for going to fast? What are they afraid of? Turbo Lambos being beaten and then the owners complaining to stop funding the circuit unless you are kicked out?

You sir, are the man. :cool:

#7 ·
KC9-3SE said:
Wow! You put up one heck of a fight vs those big V8 cars! Great runs!

As for being kicked out for going to fast? What are they afraid of? Turbo Lambos being beaten and then the owners complaining to stop funding the circuit unless you are kicked out?

You sir, are the man. :cool:
New rules last year, any non-oem turbo, nitrous or super-charger car running faster than 13:99 must wear helmet and sfi fire jacket. The guy did not mention the roll bar, but its clearly stated in the rule section of Bandimere for verts running faster than 13:99, roll bar plus the jacket and helmet....

I guess I could always add weight, slow it down some and not have to add these things, but what fun is that? I was thinking of all the things I can do to get me into the 12's..... I did not even turn the w/m injection on today;) That alone is a 39wtrq and 15whp gain, time? I guess its time for a roll bar!

John

#9 ·
Yea, brand new one, we are at elevation, Bandimere is almost 6000' and with the hot weather, around 8500' density altitude. Na cars lose 25% hp or more and around .75 to 1.25 seconds in 1/4 mile... That 13:1 he ran would have been around a 11:85 at sea-level giving full time deduction for elevation... Not too worried what he did, just like what I did and had a great time... It was fun chasing down some big v8 cars and playing at the track...

John

#10 ·
John Z Williams said:
Yea, brand new one, we are at elevation, Bandimere is almost 6000' and with the hot weather, around 8500' density altitude. Na cars lose 25% hp or more and around .75 to 1.25 seconds in 1/4 mile... That 13:1 he ran would have been around a 11:85 at sea-level giving full time deduction for elevation... Not too worried what he did, just like what I did and had a great time... It was fun chasing down some big v8 cars and playing at the track...

John
Oh, I see...that explains everyone else having hella high times, too. But yes, those times you pulled off are pretty amazing considering that 1.)Convertibles are typically heavier than regular variations, right? And 2.)Our traction sucks. Did you use drag radials or slicks by any chance?

#11 ·
No, I had hard 420 tread wear tires, good for cornering, bad for traction. I got warned with my non oem turbo if I went faster than 13:99, I could not run anymore without sfi jaket and helmet. I was asked to leave after the last run where I went faster than that. I also did not turn on my w/m injection that netted me 39wtrq and 15whp on my last set-up.

Once I get helmet, sfi jaket, front seat, rear seat, spare tire is coming out, 100lbs or so there and then w/m injection on and I also have the nitromethane kit for w/m injection for another 50hp shot. That and drag radials and race gas and I hope to be able to get into the high 12's up here which I would be very happy with myself. The last step will be lsd to hook it all up;)

My car weighed 3290 with me in it on the scale. I weigh 200lbs. My car weighs 3090lbs as is with fluids... If I could get it to 2990 or even 2950lbs by itself, I would be happy. We will see, but I had a lot of fun and it has given me the racing bug again! FYI, Twin-Saabs Nordic car with 511bhp ran a
14.0 at 113mph.... At sea-level..... Saabs are not great drag racing cars, but its fun to go out there with a saab and surprise some people...

John

#14 ·
John Z Williams said:
No, I had hard 420 tread wear tires, good for cornering, bad for traction. I got warned with my non oem turbo if I went faster than 13:99, I could not run anymore without sfi jaket and helmet. I was asked to leave after the last run where I went faster than that. I also did not turn on my w/m injection that netted me 39wtrq and 15whp on my last set-up.

Once I get helmet, sfi jaket, front seat, rear seat, spare tire is coming out, 100lbs or so there and then w/m injection on and I also have the nitromethane kit for w/m injection for another 50hp shot. That and drag radials and race gas and I hope to be able to get into the high 12's up here which I would be very happy with myself. The last step will be lsd to hook it all up;)

My car weighed 3290 with me in it on the scale. I weigh 200lbs. My car weighs 3090lbs as is with fluids... If I could get it to 2990 or even 2950lbs by itself, I would be happy. We will see, but I had a lot of fun and it has given me the racing bug again! FYI, Twin-Saabs Nordic car with 511bhp ran a
14.0 at 113mph.... At sea-level..... Saabs are not great drag racing cars, but its fun to go out there with a saab and surprise some people...

John
Yeah, weight does make quite a difference on cars, I think some people don't realize that. I had a custom box made for one of my subs and when I put that sucker in, it felt like I was towing a trailer. I forgot how light our cars are initially, though...Anyhow, good job again on those pulls. My first goal for my Saab was to put it in the 13s because of this guy I saw on CarDomain who pulled 13.4 off of a Maptun Stage 1 ECU, Viggen intercooler, Saab SS catback, bov, head port/polish, and intake, basically. It seemed amazing at the time, but a little farfetch'd now (or is it..?). Either way, he ha the time slips to prove it! http://www.cardomain.com/ride/238210

#18 ·
Thanks guys, I was at the Bandimere track outside of Denver Colorado. Its close to 6000' and up on the mountain side... Even the lower valley would be better air where the cooler denser air settles. In the heat of the summer, the density altitude goes up to 10,000-11,500' and times are drastically cut down. Its the highest nhra track in the U.S. Even the big boys have a lot of trouble figuring out how to make power up here at elevation.

From what I can tell on fi cars like ours in the 340whp range, we lose around 40whp, Eric's sqr stage 3 ng900 and another subaru both lost exactly 40whp from sea-level and the subaru was 12:0 at sea-level and 12:5 up here at Bandimere. About a good 1/2 second to 3/4 second loss for elevation with fi cars. ON the na cars is much more, like over double, they lose a good .75 to 1.25 seconds at 25-30%hp on those hot high density altitude days....

The racing bug has bitten me for sure and with the na loses of those big monster v8's, its sooooo much fun realing in a big tire race car with full slicks and open headers... that was a kick in the pants, they jump out off the line, but the saab reals them in and that made my day:cheesy:

John

#19 ·
Bigsky said:
You have to admit, there is something extremely gratifying about being kicked off the track for running too fast. I had that happen at Moroso in WPB, FL in the last Mustang that I owned.

Mike
Thanks Mike!

Yes it is:cool: I am big into competition, raced motorcross, go carts, pylon racing planes at 190mph and now some 1/4 mile stuff....

Its kind of cool to be able to say, yea my car went so fast they asked me to leave...:eek: Bandimere is strict though, any non oem turbo, nitrous or sc car running faster than 13:99 has to have helmet and sfi jaket. The difference with my car is they also say roll bar for verts and that is weight:x I have considered locking my vert top down and pulling all the motors, seats and anything else I can think of to get the weight down.

Car alone was 3090lbs, it could be worse, but what is a ng900 2 door? around 2990lbs? I think with a racing driver seat, I could save a good bit...hhhmmm

John

#20 ·
I think it's 12.99 you have to have a roll-bar.

It's why none of the turbo spyder guys race. Too much work getting a roll-bar, and keeping the top functional.

Awesome!
108MPH is moving. Especially with the added weight of the convertible!

110 has always been my "goal"; at that point, you can pretty much walk anything on the road, with the exception of purpose-built cars.

congrats! @ see-level, you'd be moving!

#21 ·
John Z Williams said:
The difference with my car is they also say roll bar for verts and that is weight
On the other hand, installing a roll bar automatically means stripping the interior anyway ;]. I'll put my cage on the scale next time I pull it out of the car - really curious how much does it weight.

P.S. Congratulations on the slips, great results indeed :p

#22 ·
Thanks Dip, I would be interested in knowing what your car weighs with the roll bar in it. My car was 3290lbs with me in it, I weigh 200lbs, so right around 3090lbs, it would be interesting to know what your car weighs with the bar and without the panels and what not... Let me know when you get a chance to put her on the scale...

John

#23 ·
John Z Williams said:
I weigh 200lbs
That's where the weight saving starts. I'm 140 lbs :D

What would really make a lot of difference is if you find a way to remove the roof. Raise the tonneau cover, unbolt the roof from the motor brackets and remove it from the car. You'll need a helper for that, because the roof is VERY heavy. It's actually not that hard in the long run, and probably worth it to shave a good deal of time in the 1/4 mile.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.