SaabCentral Forums banner

What's this black stuff on my wheels?

2K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  ragtopcav 
#1 ·
Will have pictures for this tomorrow evening, but in the meantime I was just curious if anyone else has an extremely hard and irremovable black substance on their rims? It's been on there since I first bought the car and I've tried a few things to get it off but it's super solid and does not want to come off. Anybody have an idea?
Pictures of what I mean, tomorrow evening.

#5 ·
ragtopcav said:
The ones that actually work :lol:

:cheesy:

But don't the new Purple Stuff pads stop you quicker AND end global warming?

I remember seeing that in an advertisement somewhere....:lol:

#6 ·
mike saunders said:
:cheesy:

But don't the new Purple Stuff pads stop you quicker AND end global warming?

I remember seeing that in an advertisement somewhere....:lol:
Nearly :nono;

Red wine does not spray well onto a monitor. :lol:

Can I be drunkenly bumbling technical [ish] I'm having issues with 2 sets of pads, one set is full ceramic and only works when really really pressed; the other wierd hybrid friction stuff leaves sticky bits all over the discs and creates 'warping' pulses in light braking but is OK under load also.

The only pads that are any good [for my use] are the old skool dusty Ferodos and the cheapy cheerful Pagid [both equally dusty].

#9 ·
comtrang said:
Will have pictures for this tomorrow evening, but in the meantime I was just curious if anyone else has an extremely hard and irremovable black substance on their rims? It's been on there since I first bought the car and I've tried a few things to get it off but it's super solid and does not want to come off. Anybody have an idea?
Pictures of what I mean, tomorrow evening.
They're called tires

Sorry:roll::roll:

#13 ·
get a soft scrubbing brush (perhaps even a toothbrush) and windex make sure you get some wheel wax though on the sucker once its clean it's probably break dust and road junk... because i had a tough time getting all that crap off

#15 ·
If it is tar there are some items in your kitchen that may be successful in removing it. Butter, creamy peanut butter, or vegetable oil applied to the tar and left for 12 to 24 hours should soften in and make it easier to remove. If that doesn't work there are a few items from the garage that may work. WD-40, kerosene, or mineral spirits applied directly to the tar should soften it up and make it easier to remove. WD-40, kerosene, or mineral spirits will most likely remove wax from your car as well.

#16 ·
ragtopcav said:
the other wierd hybrid friction stuff leaves sticky bits all over the discs and creates 'warping' pulses in light braking but is OK under load also.

i thought that was down to holding the car on the brakes when the discs are hot causing the surface of the pad to amalgamate with the disc ? but i too have this problem :evil:

#17 ·
boxman said:
i thought that was down to holding the car on the brakes when the discs are hot causing the surface of the pad to amalgamate with the disc ? but i too have this problem :evil:
That's the most common cause, certainly I think the root of problems with mine, but as you can imagine, over time you get patches of this around the rotors [hence sticky bits all over the disc - I was drunk ;oops: ]

The real pi55er though is very dusty pads seem not to cause this as bad :roll: but you end up with crust black wheels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.