SaabCentral Forums banner

oil filter sandwich

18K views 43 replies 23 participants last post by  mckpat03 
#1 ·
so i ordered an oil filter sandwhich...so i can hook up my oil pressure and oil temp guages...does any one have any experience with these sandwhiches?

#7 ·
Martin_9-5t said:
i've seen them on ebay in us. got mine from a gauge surplier in UK, it was £27.
those ar eexactly the same ones i have....from glow shift right? i am sponsored so i get them at a very low discounted price :)

#8 · (Edited)
saab specific one on ebay is going for about $50 shipped

Since we've got a pretty normal oil filter size, you could save $10 and get a glowshift one by going into an auto parts store and find more popular cars that use our same filter. Those should then fit our cars just fine. The glowshift plate also has one more port...4 instead of 3.

For people with the glowshift: did you find an auction that specifically said saab, or find another that works?

#10 ·
from the first link I posted:
Brand new oil filter sandwich plate. This is by far the easiest and cleanest way to install ; oil sensors for oil temperature gauge, oil pressure gauge, turbo oil feed line (not the drain line) or any source of oil needed for example vtec conversions.

#12 ·
hkayssi said:
You add it between the oil filter and the block. It gives you 2 output sending units for the oil pressure and oil temp. That's really good to have in our cars. especially with a turbo car :cheesy:
I see..meaning if we were to install gauges for those parameters? Or is there another benefit..? I'm sorry, I think I'm missing the bigger picture of it or something haha.

#13 ·
comtrang said:
I see..meaning if we were to install gauges for those parameters? Or is there another benefit..? I'm sorry, I think I'm missing the bigger picture of it or something haha.
You can also have one where you can hook up an oil cooler too.

Those gages are very important to have. You don't want to know that your oil pressure is low because you hear your engine is knocking :eek: and you don't want the oil to overheat either ;). It allows you to have a mointoring tool for your engine's health. Consider it an insurance policy :cheesy:

#16 ·
Do you guys think this method could help with diagnosing oil sludge and clogging of the pickup screen too? If the car runs with a reduced oil pressure I mean. :confused: Not precise enough for that I guess; unless the pickup screen is too clogged :roll: But could it give an indication to go ahead and drop the oil pan?

#17 ·
i picked up the oil sandwhich plate for 18.99 form my sponsorship...two single swivel pods for 4.99 each....and i had previously got the guages and sensors all for 45 bux as a sponsor special....im hooking up both the oil temp and oil pressure...hopefully ill have everything in and running within this week.

#18 ·
hkayssi said:
Do you guys think this method could help with diagnosing oil sludge and clogging of the pickup screen too? If the car runs with a reduced oil pressure I mean. :confused: Not precise enough for that I guess; unless the pickup screen is too clogged :roll: But could it give an indication to go ahead and drop the oil pan?
Yes on all counts. There are two common issues on our cars that lead to low oil pressure, clogged screen and worn pump. The pump is more of an issue on the later cars, but.....I've had a guage sitting in my bedroom for months, next to my computer. Haven't had enough free daylight hours to put it on.

#19 ·
The oil filter sandwich plate is pretty much a must for this gauges (oil pressure and oil temp) if your running a b205 or b235 motor as the oil pressure sensor port on those is hiding behind the starter. However on the b204/b234 blocks its a simple job to put in an oil pressure gauge in place of the oil pressure sensor for the idiot light, presuming you have the right tools and extensions. Only took me just under an hour to do and that was taking my time and being patient. Thats what I did on mine.

#20 ·
NahumCC said:
The oil filter sandwich plate is pretty much a must for this gauges (oil pressure and oil temp) if your running a b205 or b235 motor as the oil pressure sensor port on those is hiding behind the starter. However on the b204/b234 blocks its a simple job to put in an oil pressure gauge in place of the oil pressure sensor for the idiot light, presuming you have the right tools and extensions. Only took me just under an hour to do and that was taking my time and being patient. Thats what I did on mine.
And what is the process on this nahumcc?
just plug the gauge wires in where the idiot light wires went?

#21 · (Edited)
TROLLhattenschatten said:
And what is the process on this nahumcc?
just plug the gauge wires in where the idiot light wires went?
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99854

Thats the write up I wrote based on the autometer ultra-lite mechanical series (no electrical sender). You can use the electrical version in the same way here too. The difference would be the following.

Once removing the OPS (oil pressure sensor) you would install the M14x1.5 adapter to goto whatever the NPT thread size for the oil pressure sender that comes with electrical oil pressure gauges. Then you would connect the proper wiring to each lead on the sender.

If you choose this route instead of an oil filter plate and then want an oil temperature gague you can get a sender that acts as a oil drain plug and what better place to get that temperature than the sump.

Also you have a ng900 so it will be the same process I describe with the only difference being that your not having to use the other compression fittings I had to use for my mechanical version.

#24 ·
project13 said:
It looks like and sounds like a oil filter sandwich is the only way to go (well at least the easiest way)

Sounds like a must have for our cars.... I can't believe Saab didn't put these in stock...
$30 X 1000s of cars is a lot of money for GM to save and screw the customers:x They can install those at their expense later on. That's how big business thinks :nono;

That is stupid coz they garantee those cars for a few years. Those gauges can save them a lot of repairs down the road by catching problems early but hey....... ;)

#26 ·
project13 said:
The worst thing is that it wouldn't even cost them $30 a car.... probaly more like $10 per car at most.... beacuse they can buy in bulk from the manufactor...

Stupid big companys, just trying to make the CEO's richer, screw over the little guys... US..:nono;
Ah but your not thinking of the other costs incurred such as re-engineering the dash panel to include an oil temp and oil pressure gauge which probably wouldn't be that detailed but just a general range. That costs lots of money to do then to put it into production so theres extra cost there. Then add the extra cost of wiring to senders and time spent in CAD or whatever they use to make sure the wire routing doens't cause problems.

GM doesn't see saab as a "true" sports car so it doesn't deem the marginal cost of these extra parts worth the investment. They leave that up to us............so we can void our warranty lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.