SaabCentral Forums banner

Strut suggestion

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Stalker 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any idea of which strut/spring setup I should go with for everyday driving.Nothing over the top, just something that would give above stock comfort and handling.

#2 ·
The koni kit on genuinesaab comes with adjustables.... Im happy with my vogtland springs, but i would go with bilsteins instead of the kybs i currently have (the vogtland/bilstein option much cheaper than the koni kit)

#4 ·
I don't have any knowledge of saabs handling or what is acceptable comfort for a saab.I'm a bimmer dude with a new(to me)saab toy. I guess what I should ask is what setup is most popular.That's the question I didn't ask when I first started upgrading my bimmer and other car years ago,which would have saved me alot time and $.They're kits out there for $$$$$$,which in my opinion are over kill unless you're using the equiptment to its potential..ie motor cross,track work, ect.I've switch from billstein to koni and back to billsteins in my bimmer,no real big difference except for price.I just need some thoughts from you saab guyz on a reasonable setup.

ragtopcav said:
Make your mind up which you'd prefer as you cannot get both together.

#5 ·
#6 ·
I tried voxtland and kyb;s, harsh and a little bouncy and the corners were aaaa ok...

Put the Koni adjustable shocks with voxtland springs. Very impressed great comfort on full soft setting and the cornering is awesome and there is almost no bounciness at all... I highly recommend this set-up. I too did not buy for the price, but once I caughed up the doh, it was well worth it! I now have fronts on full soft and about a 1/4 turn in to firm on rears, great ride... Soooo much better than before with kyb's...

John

#8 ·
Setup sounds decent.What was the dammage?

John Z Williams said:
I tried voxtland and kyb;s, harsh and a little bouncy and the corners were aaaa ok...

Put the Koni adjustable shocks with voxtland springs. Very impressed great comfort on full soft setting and the cornering is awesome and there is almost no bounciness at all... I highly recommend this set-up. I too did not buy for the price, but once I caughed up the doh, it was well worth it! I now have fronts on full soft and about a 1/4 turn in to firm on rears, great ride... Soooo much better than before with kyb's...

John

#10 ·
SaabLV93 said:
call me a weirdo...but i have my konis set up to full firm all the way around. i guess i don't mind the bounce. i don't really notice it anyway...when i set to soft it feels like i'm not completely in control of the car...but that's just me.
You're not a weirdo...you just have good roads! :cool:

Most of Vegas, like most of Florida, was built up in the last 20 years. So you have newish pavement on the ground, and you don't get the evil freeze-thaw cycles that create potholes and frost heaves in the roads up north...

I run Konis with B+G springs (Lesjofors) and I have them set midrange in the rear and slightly softer in the front. Even that is a bit jarring on some stretches of roadway.

#11 ·
I, like Mike, have B&G springs...
The difference is, I have bilstein sport struts.
Around town, I feel they're a little soft. I can hit bump-stops in small pot-holes.

Although, on the highway, I feel the car bump/dip along the way, like someone's replaced the struts with steel bars.

I know there's a term for the difference in short/quick reactions versus the long, slow reactions.

Bilsteins seem to be a little over-done(perhaps a little more-aggressive) or, the B&G springs must be very under-sprung. I'm willing to bet the latter, since I've never had an issue with bilsteins before.

;)

So, for me.... eibach and bilstien sports. with Some good 225/45 tires. (I run 225/50/16 Hankook R-S2's)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.