Clutch release bearing/New clutch? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Clutch release bearing/New clutch?

Albert Trout
18th April 2007, 11:00 AM
The clutch release bearing's been making noise for months and months now but it's now noisy every single time I stop, I can hear it up to about 40mph and it's starting to really, really annoy me, so I'm going to replace it. Am I just as well replacing the whole thing? There's nothing up with it but you can get a Sachs clutch kit from the bay for 60 and since it costs 20 for the release bearing (prices include postage) I'm thinking I might as well replace the whole thing. The car has no history, so I've no idea when or if it's ever been replaced before.

jetman
18th April 2007, 11:13 AM
Mine was on its way out 20 months ago now. I like to say it squeeled like a squirrel in a blender. But then I replaced my master cylinder and bled brake and clutch lines. Voila, horrible noise is gone and still gone. I can hear a little noise at a stop with the clutch pedal out, but I'm still going to drive it until it falls to pieces. I bought a new clutch kit that has been sitting in my workshop for a long time now.

As with Woy's engine rebuild. I feel its best to run it to the end and maximize the return on cost as you're just going to be replacing it all anyway.

And for the cost/work/time involved, if you're going to replace one component of the clutch, its best to replace all.

Jim Mesthene
18th April 2007, 11:31 AM
You can also prolong the life of the release bearing and reduce the noise by squirting oil on it through the inspection hole in the plastic cover. This can be effective for a long time.
Oil it, then let it "rest" for an hour or two before trying it.

jetman
18th April 2007, 11:53 AM
You can also prolong the life of the release bearing and reduce the noise by squirting oil on it through the inspection hole in the plastic cover. This can be effective for a long time.
Oil it, then let it "rest" for an hour or two before trying it.

hmm, I wonder if mine is oiling itself from a bad rear main seal!;oops:

Albert Trout
18th April 2007, 01:38 PM
Squirt of oil it is then :D Why spend 60 when I don't need to spend anything? Like I say there's nowt up with anything else in the clutch, so I'm loath to do anything to it until I have to. It's just that noise. I'm starting to hear it in my ****ing sleep :evil:

Leanne
18th April 2007, 03:40 PM
The clutch release bearing's been making noise for months and months now but it's now noisy every single time I stop, I can hear it up to about 40mph and it's starting to really, really annoy me, so I'm going to replace it. Am I just as well replacing the whole thing? There's nothing up with it but you can get a Sachs clutch kit from the bay for 60 and since it costs 20 for the release bearing (prices include postage) I'm thinking I might as well replace the whole thing. The car has no history, so I've no idea when or if it's ever been replaced before.

Hi Albert

I have a 900s on an n plate and mine is doing the same thing, so, I guess it's the clutch release bearing also? Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Leanne
18th April 2007, 03:46 PM
Squirt of oil it is then :D Why spend 60 when I don't need to spend anything? Like I say there's nowt up with anything else in the clutch, so I'm loath to do anything to it until I have to. It's just that noise. I'm starting to hear it in my ****ing sleep :evil:

Hi Albert, its Leanne again, did you squirt the oil on it and if so did it work I am pulling my hair out with this b...dy thing.

ShadowWorks
18th April 2007, 04:41 PM
Molygrease is what you need but you will need a new bearing man, there only a fiver;)

I heard your bearing and it sounded so dry and chirpy, I would bet the ball bearings are egg shaped by now:lol::lol:

I have seen clutch kits for 30 on the bay, you can even fit the 9000 plate.

Oil I think is a temp cure and it will spin out, I think my bearing was a sealed unit

Matthew
18th April 2007, 04:47 PM
The bearings cost more than 5.

A bad clutch release bearing is noisy when the clutch is disengaged, and silent when it's engaged.

ShadowWorks
18th April 2007, 06:18 PM
The bearings cost more than 5.

A bad clutch release bearing is noisy when the clutch is disengaged, and silent when it's engaged.

I had seen them on ebay but your right, 13 from Euro car parts or 32 for a new slave that comes with a bearing.

Alberts says his bearing is making a noise when its engaged, I think when they have been dry for such a long time the damage just gets beyond a lube job.

You have had the worst bearing failure I had ever seen, you should be incouraging him to replace it, Alberts just lazy;)

Albert Trout
18th April 2007, 06:23 PM
Hi Albert

I have a 900s on an n plate and mine is doing the same thing, so, I guess it's the clutch release bearing also? Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

As Sha says it makes a sort of chirping noise and as Matthew says, it'll only happen when the clutch is disengaged. You only have to give the pedal the slightest touch and it'll stop doing it. I've not tried the oil yet as I am the world's biggest procrastinator. Oh, and welcome to Saabcentral BTW :cheesy:

Where do you get release bearings for a fiver Sha, ya maniac??? Mind I've got a '92 so it's got the bigger clutch which is a bit more expensive for the full shebang. I really don't want to do it until I have to. I have bigger fish to fry :D

TheRedBaron
18th April 2007, 09:23 PM
I have seen clutch kits for 30 on the bay, you can even fit the 9000 plate.
Hmmm...but are they as good as the sachs stuff? I've seen exedy clutch kits on the bay for like $140 USD but I'm not sure if they're as quality as the oem stuff. Then again I don't have any experience with them.

Matthew
19th April 2007, 06:02 AM
You have had the worst bearing failure I had ever seen, you should be incouraging him to replace it
Albert, replace your clutch release bearing now or be faced with a loss of clutch and this:
http://www.hexfiles.com/saabcentral/f273_clutch_job/dscf3072.jpg
http://www.hexfiles.com/saabcentral/f273_clutch_job/dscf3122.jpg
More here:
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35662

You might be able to remove the slave without removing the whole clutch. I managed it on my 8v:
http://www.hexfiles.com/saabcentral/c931/clutch_release_bearing_repair/dscf3328.jpg

I filed just a smidge off the pressure plate:
http://www.hexfiles.com/saabcentral/c931/clutch_release_bearing_repair/dscf3336.jpg

I tried to work moly grease into the bearing, but it wasn't any good.

Apparently there's a moly-based mtorcycle chain lube which is more fluid, in which the release bearing could be immersed. If that worked well, the bearing would probably last for another fifteen years :lol: :D

Albert Trout
19th April 2007, 06:18 AM
Aww Matthew, why did you have to go and do that? I was quite happy with Jim's potential solution. If the truth be told, the main problem is I've just spent 300 bangers on a new turbo and Mrs.Trout thinks the car is posessed by the devil, and has in turn possessed me and is trying to steal all our money. She doesn't need any more ammo. Even 20 quids worth.

Matthew
19th April 2007, 06:32 AM
As long as you get some oil/grease/butter/hair gel (with disco glitter) in there then the bearing should hold up for a bit longer :lol: Needn't cost you anything...

What's Mrs. Trout going to say to the full bare-metal respray then? :o :lol: :p

Albert Trout
19th April 2007, 06:40 AM
What's Mrs. Trout going to say to the full bare-metal respray then? :o :lol: :p

:lol: Well she's quite open minded.....The car asked me for that on the way home last night. But he wants a Jorgen Eriksson gearbox first. He told me that if he doesn't get either then he'll break something expensive and I'll have to spend the money anyway.

ShadowWorks
19th April 2007, 01:14 PM
Here are two magnetic Aura picture of my 900:lol:

http://www.3wishes.com/images/golddigger.jpghttp://www.3wishes.com/images/moneyhoney.jpg

Leanne
19th April 2007, 01:32 PM
could somebody please send me a diagram of how to take out the clutch as it wont go into gear, hav'nt tried the rachet under the pedal yet that mite help a bit i hope. But can someone please help - thanks :confused: :o :)

Albert Trout
19th April 2007, 02:17 PM
Leanne, I'm afraid I have no idea. N regi makes it 95/96 so your car's an NG900 (Vauxhall ;) ), so if you post on the workshop over there, someone will be able to help you out. Even if you go across and do a search on "clutch replacement" I'm sure there'll be a wealth of info :D