SaabCentral Forums banner

Stage 4 reliability/safety questions

854 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  PAviggen 
#1 ·
I am planning on doing a "stage 4" tune on the Viggen at the Saab Owner's Convention this August. However, I am weary to do so because of the fact that my car is a MY2000 and viggen, which may mean weak pistons. I would have full 3 inch exhaust, MP intercooler, air filter/airbox mod, larger injectors, and larger turbocharger (TD04HL-18T or GT28BB).
Is this safe..I'm guessing around 325-340 at the crank. SQR to tune.

Also what would be my best bet..the Mitsu turbo or the Garrett. I have searched but my decision is inconclusive. I am looking for the pros/cons of each and which spools faster, which has higher top(, generally). Thanks in advance.

#4 ·
If your looking for a safe 310bhp with piston peace of mind go with the 18t. If you want 330-340bhp then go with the gt28rs. There have been some that ran this turbo on stock pistons and had no problem...I belive vigge did for about a year. But generally the recommendation is to no bust 310bhp with stock pisons. Some will tell you that 300whp is possible with the 18t, but on a t7 viggen do not expect so see any more that 260whp SAFELY.

#5 ·
as far as the 18t vs. a 28rs...there has been endless discussion about which is faster. From everything I read the "real life acceleration" (that takes into account spooliing resulting in the following: second gear acceleration is .3seconds faster with an 18t. gears 3, 4, 5 were dead even until 4k rpms, where the gt28rs held its boost while the 18t dropped off. this was with the .64 exhaust.

#8 ·
just keep in mind if you want safety and reliability then do not count on the 18t giving you any more than 260whp. there are a lot of guys that have the 18t making 300-330whp but they have b234r's and are T5 and will tell you the 18t will get you that far, but this simply isnt' true with a T7 viggen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.