SaabCentral Forums banner

Best tuner?

6K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  abdukted1456 
#1 ·
Now first off, apologies for once AGAIN covering an altogether overdone subject, but the search being what it is on this site meant that I couldn't find anything of relavance!

Basically, I'm looking to go Stage 3 - that's enough power for me (certainly for a while, I know it's addictive!) and I'm at the hardware stage for it (or will be when my downpipe gets here).

I know that of course this is a subjective thing, however I'm aware of the fact that as for 'power' figures each tuner is relatively similair, i.e 250bhp / ~370nm torque at Stage 3.

So... here comes the big question - what are the relative merits / disadvantages of each tuner - I'm looking in particular at JSP due to pricing, or Nordic due to location (actually IN the UK!!) but of course am open to suggestion.

Basically I'm looking for a tune that will take advantage of the mods, but the car is a daily driver and therefore it needs to be reliable as possible (although of course cars being what they are I expect it to break sometimes!).

So guys - please discuss, or alternatively if this thread has been done before please point me in that direction and I'll head there with my tail between my legs!

Cheers!

See less See more
#2 ·
Honestly, your going to get SQR guys like myself coming in here and saying they love their SQR tunes, they have been great, the support is amazing and the difference is night and day.

Your going to get JSP guys like John (JZW) who will come in and say how great Jaks software is, how much they love it and how great the support is.

Nordic guys like Abducted will say how much they love their tune, how great the support is and how wonderful its been.

Maptun guys like SaabByGoran will say the same thing about Maptun...

And so the battle goes...

My only peice of personal advice would be to go with who you can get local (as local as possible) support from and if at all possible, go with who can tune your car in person. Those two things are what I think makes a tune invaluable.

#3 ·
I will tell you, they are all pretty good in the stage 3 range. Pick a tuner that you like, you can get along with and ask questions and are willing to do business with in the future and will get good service and a response time that fits your needs. Sqr, Nordic, Maptun JSP are all good options and I think they all do a good job. Pick a tuner, any tuner and listen to what that tuner tells you and you will be happy;)

John

#4 ·
CooperS7777 said:
My only peice of personal advice would be to go with who you can get local (as local as possible) support from and if at all possible, go with who can tune your car in person. Those two things are what I think makes a tune invaluable.

+ infinity...

It's not about who's the best tuner, but who's the best tuner for you....

#5 ·
Yeah, that's what I figured you were all going to say!

As far as I know, there is NO-ONE in the UK that does custom tuning, so I'll probably go with a JSP mail order tune.

Cheers guys

#6 · (Edited)
StormCrow said:
Yeah, that's what I figured you were all going to say!

As far as I know, there is NO-ONE in the UK that does custom tuning, so I'll probably go with a JSP mail order tune.

Cheers guys

Uh...

There's Abbott. :D

...and...

last I checked, Sweden was much closer to England than the US is.... ;)

#8 ·
John Z Williams said:
Do not know if its true or not, but have heard from some people that some of the abbott ecu's are pireted.... Other tuners sw...? You might get sqr, jsp, maptun, bsr anyway:cheesy: if you did go through them...

John

:lol:

I'm shocked -- SHOCKED -- I tell you!

#10 ·
John Z Williams said:
Do not know if its true or not, but have heard from some people that some of the abbott ecu's are pireted.... Other tuners sw...? You might get sqr, jsp, maptun, bsr anyway:cheesy: if you did go through them...

John
what about nordic? if I was a tuning pirate, i'd definately have a look see at some nordic files too......that way I could offer a variety of tuning philosophies rather than just one.

dave

#15 ·
fatship said:
what about nordic? if I was a tuning pirate, i'd definately have a look see at some nordic files too......that way I could offer a variety of tuning philosophies rather than just one.

dave
Sure, Nordic could be one of them:cool:

The way I hear it, they just take a tune from ecu x and put it on ecu y.....

Like I said, only heard that through the rumor mill.... Someone elses sw was on a ecu someone bought from abbott and had it re-tuned by another tuner. No it was not Jak...

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.