SaabCentral Forums banner

Wheels and springs..will they rub?

1K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  redlinebmx2007 
#1 ·
Okay well im getting 2500 soon for my old car and am looking at some rims and lowering.

Im looking at these rims
http://www.wheelmax.com/product.asp?ProdID=11075

they are 18x7.5 with 40 BS with 215x40 tires

im also planning on getting the vogtland lowering springs and koni adjustable shocks

will i have any rubbing issues?

#5 ·
Just a heads up...

The folks who aren't experiencing rubbing all have 9-3s, which have a different rear bumper. The NG900s have plastic bits that jut into the rear wheel well and reduce the clearance, even with 17s.

18s will rub.

There's a Saab service bulletin explaining how to shave down the plastic and to file down the nuts in the inner wheel liner. (That last step is optional.)

#6 ·
#8 ·
mike saunders said:
Just a heads up...

The folks who aren't experiencing rubbing all have 9-3s, which have a different rear bumper. The NG900s have plastic bits that jut into the rear wheel well and reduce the clearance, even with 17s.

18s will rub.

There's a Saab service bulletin explaining how to shave down the plastic and to file down the nuts in the inner wheel liner. (That last step is optional.)

so if i do that all in the service bulletin will i be fine?

#9 ·
redlinebmx2007 said:
so if i do that all in the service bulletin will i be fine?
No, you'll just rub less....:D

I ran 225/50 16 and got rubbing in the back....

#11 ·
redlinebmx2007 said:
What if i purchase a 9-3 rear bumper?

I want to lower it and get the rims.

Yep, that'll work.

But it will look slightly different from the front bumper.

EDIT: Tip: before you drop some serious cabbage on wheels, ask how much they weigh...

#12 ·
mike saunders said:
Just a heads up...

18s will rub.

No rubbing what so ever on my previous ng900 5-door with 7,5*18" ET42 with 225/40-18!
The car was also lowered with H&R springs.
3-door cars have enven more space in the back so as long as you run the correct ET 18" is no problem at all on a ng900!

#13 ·
Well, I guess the only thing to do now is to buy the wheels and see if the tires rub.....:cheesy:

#14 ·
mike saunders said:
Why spacers in the back? Your car is FWD......
there's spacers in the front too. i put them in mostly for cosmetic reasons. i guess with the offset, the wheels looks too "sunk in" for me so i opted for a set of spacers out back. they looked so good, i got some for the fronts too. click the link, it'll take you to a photo i have on myspace. with the spacers in, the car looks "normal" ...i don't have a pic of the car w/out them.

#15 ·
I had serious rubbing on my 5 door 900 when the 17" wheels were fitted with 225's; so much so that I had to roll in the rear wheel arch lips. I noticed on later 5 door cars there is a section cut away in that area.

As for rubbing down the plastic on the bumper and the plastic nuts; these are made from polyproplene, a feeble material in comparison to road going reinforced rubber, let the tyres do the work, they create there own clearance and in a matter of weeks they've rubbed off everything that was in the way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.