SaabCentral Forums banner

Hello guys, new guy here with big things planned!

1K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  itsasaabthing 
#1 ·
Hello guys, I am definitely new to this community, and Saabs as well. But, certainly not to automobiles. I have lots of past background with turbocharged cars, such as a Turbo Tbird, Turbo Talon TSi awd, and some others. I am very big into modifying cars for the quarter mile. I recently had a car with a slipping clutch, and bad traction to propel me to the 13s at over 110, with just 100 dollars invested. I am looking to make some serious numbers with this Saab. I have seen some undoubtedly impressive Saabs, but not many in the good ole USA. I plan to make quite a beast. So far, I have what I consider a "mild" setup for it.
Turbonetics 50 trim turbo
3" turbo back exhaust
Modded ecu
650 injectors
255 pump
Godpseed FMIC with my own shortroute pipes
no cat converter
and some other nice goodies
Being around DSMS, (which are definitely the most dominant 4 cylinder street cars ever) I crave more power than a normal person lol. Some may seem my plans are silly. But, in pursuit of power, do what you must do. So, my upcoming mods are:
Garret GT35R turbo, with S cover
Built bottom end, custom with h beam rods, and 8:8:1 comp pistons
Built head, 5 angle valve job, titan retainers, 280 exhaust and intake cams, super monster porting, custom exhaust manifold by Ron Shearer, custom intake manifold, custom 85mm throttle body, big fmic, standalone engine management with 950cc injectors and a supra TT fuel pump, and one hell of a suspension setup. Boost pressure at 30psi, and one seriously sick clutch....
Goals?
550-600WHP
11s or better in the 1/4 on Slicks, no bottle hopefully
Watch the look on vette owners as a swedish FWD dust them on the highway....
These may seem like insane goals, but isnt that how all good projects get motivation? I want to really do some butt kicking at the track. I am not looking just for a fun car, I want to smoke Supras, 3000gts, and other dominant cars. I fail to see that happening as of now. Its time for a change. There is a good saying with my fellow DSMrs,
"If you are not breaking stuff, you are not going fast enough"
So, in the near future, I hope to hit these goals. Thanks for the space fellas, I love the site. Glad to be here.

See less See more
#2 ·
well welcome aboard dude, welcome to the saab community, the only thing you gonna here is that these cars arent really builty for the 1/4 mile...but hell with slicks, a good driver, and that nice setup i cant wait to see some numbers as well as times...keep us posted!

#5 ·
:cry: I don't want to be the one to tell you this..but Saabs are generally not drag cars :(

However the rally car got to 60 in a hair over two seconds!

Saabs are completely designed around practicality and with the driver in mind, as you have probably comr to realize as you drive.

It sounds like you are going to do some serious things to this, but sadly you can't search online and find performance cams or a stroker kit. You may be able to get some Euro pieces which would be cool. If you do an aftermarket/standalone EMS I would be your number one reader because they have interested me for a while. There are some great tuners in the US, however. Let us know, sounds like you will have a great, fast, and kick-*** car that will, like you said, blow by some vettes on the highway! If there ever was a 4-cyl to do it in Saabs will do it

Oops, it likes like somebody beat me to the 1/4 mile thing while I was typing!

#6 ·
I am having all of my engine internals custom made, and doing to valve job and such myself. I have some friends and such that will help me set up an AEM EMS (and one of the best ecu tuners ever) to help me out. I will defintly take pics of everything as I go, so more people can work towards this type of goal if wanted. :D

#7 ·
Ha.. your plans look exactly like what a DSMer would do. As you can tell from my name and my sig, I know plently about DSMs. There are a few DSMers here. I look foward to seeing your progress... btw, you dont happen to have any spare parts lying around do you? I need a MAF and ecu for my vr4. :cry:

#8 ·
you forgot stripping it until its violated :D extreme weight reduction should be done... probably need to work done with the transmission in order not to kill it also bore and stroke it (using the 2.3L parts) to 2.5L will help too perhaps different valve springs too

the biggest reason the saab rally car got 0-60 in just over 2 seconds was AWD unfortunatly...

#9 · (Edited)
itsasaabthing said:
I am having all of my engine internals custom made, and doing to valve job and such myself. I have some friends and such that will help me set up an AEM EMS (and one of the best ecu tuners ever) to help me out. I will defintly take pics of everything as I go, so more people can work towards this type of goal if wanted. :D
Good luck and welcome!!!

The B204 stock internals are good for 450-500 whp if your tune is good, but forged bits will give you some more safety.

Consider a better-flowing T7 head as a base for your valvetrain mods. (Keep your T5 cams, though)

You might find the piggyback route a little daunting; consider using NIRA, which was co-developed by ex-Trionic engineers and is very Trionic/Motronic friendly.

Have fun and keep us updated.

#10 ·
Sounds like you have some pretty good goals. Strive for perfection and then settle for near perfection I always say!

Where in Ohio?

I'm in springfield, and there are a few others around, couple in C-town, and some in cleveland, one in Dayton I know of.

We get together every so often and shoot the breeze!

Tboy

#11 ·
big plans and hopefully some good write ups with pictures maybe even videos would be cool of the build. im also in ohio and in Cincinnati. so again i am with tboy on asking where your from in ohio. weclome to the boards, and also does anyone know how durable these axles are on these saabs? i never see anyone mention replacing them for stronger ones, im just curious

#12 ·
I recently had a car with a slipping clutch, and bad traction to propel me to the 13s at over 110, with just 100 dollars invested
Just wondering what type of car this was?

speeking of former dsm'ers the car i modded before my last one was a GSX and i have a slip someware of a 13.1 pass =) j/w another strange thing i built up a T-bird supercoupe for someone back in the day never played with a turbo coupe tho...

#13 ·
sleet said:
big plans and hopefully some good write ups with pictures maybe even videos would be cool of the build. im also in ohio and in Cincinnati. so again i am with tboy on asking where your from in ohio. weclome to the boards, and also does anyone know how durable these axles are on these saabs? i never see anyone mention replacing them for stronger ones, im just curious

They're pretty durable. Only broken axle I've seen was on a 9000 with 400+ WTQ....

#15 ·
Welcome to the club, I'm a 4g63 guy too... I used to drag my Evo a bit. Of course that was 13.0 stock :p and much faster with mods... I have a few plans for my Saab too (nowhere near as agressive as yours), but I don't really think it will make a great 1/4 car, compared to what you're coming from. With the Evo it was easy to run 1.6X 60's, and it would be disappointing for me to be struggling off the line at the track. Good luck with your build, make sure you do some good research on Saab, because they seem to be a little different than dealing with the 4g, even though it's the same basic layout.

Since you're talking about 50trims, check out this "secret squirrel" custom 50ET we just put in :cheesy:

#16 ·
Thanks for the warm welcomes guys.
BoostedGVR4, I don't have any spare parts as of now, sorry bro.
Glad to see some fellow 4g63 enthusiast here too, never would have seen that comming lol.
I am in a little bitty town called attica, about 1-1/2 hours from Cleveland.
I am going to have the internals to my trans cryoed as for strength.
Boosted-9-3 the slipping clutch was on my DSM, awd is killer on a clutch, especially when you launch at 5500 off the ebrake lol.
Sterlingsaab, very nice evo, loving the turbo setup you got there! What FMIC do you run?

#17 ·
itsasaabthing said:
Sterlingsaab, very nice evo, loving the turbo setup you got there! What FMIC do you run?
That's actually not mine, unfortunately. That belongs to a friend of mine that we've been working on. He is running Buschur's Race IC. We were actually out driving last night, the thing takes a bit to spool up, but once it goes the car FLIES! I had planned to put that same ET 50 on my car, but sold it instead, he got to be the test mule... Once we get the alky pump, he's looking to put down around 480-500whp on 93 octane... we'll see :cool:

#20 ·
itsasaabthing said:
Awesome, glad to see someone run some Dave Buschur parts. Sorry to hear you sold the evo. He will get the 488-500 awhp mark, no doubt. :D
Lots of us older ('03) evo guys in the DC area ran all buschur stuff because he was really the first to put out a lot of stuff for our car, and at good prices. Plus he's proven himself on the track too... Just putting the Buschur 3" TBE on my car got me 25whp, untuned. 230awhp to 255awhp no other mods. Of course, I didn't stop there ;) If you're interested, I'll post up dynos and vids when that car is all tuned. I'm also very interested to see your buildup! His car is the one in this video losing to me (but not anymore LOL) : 3rd-4th pull

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.