SaabCentral Forums banner

sulphar smell and bad MPG

924 views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  StormCrow 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

Have been busy so have not had a chance to chat much. Im still trying to sort the overboost problem. Need to check for leaks and the diaphram in the dump valve. Not finished troubleshooting yet.

I have also noticed that occassionaly I get quite a strong smell of sulphar in the car. this is also combined with poor mpg, cant get better than 20 mpg. Not too worried about mpg issue, but perhaps the car is running rich and destroying the CAT. Hope the CAT is not on the way out ££££££££££. A dodgy CAT wouldnt cause overboost would it ?

Has anyone else experienced this before and if so what was the problem ?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Nigel

#4 ·
It might be caused by your lambda / O2 sensor - if that goes it can tell the car to run rich which will inject too much fuel into the system and could potentially not burn in the combustion chambers, therefore burning 'on' the cat.

#6 ·
Sulphur smell = bad cat.

clogged-cat = exhaust restriction.

Exhaust restriction = slow boost onset, and potential boost-creep.

Sorry... =0[

I know emissions parts are pricey over there... is aftermarket/performance any less-expensie?

#8 ·
Its lookin like Ill have to splash out for a 3" downpipe with race cat. Just need to justify it to the misses now.
Just done it :lol:

It goes like this: "Well the new one is stainless steel so it will last for ages, plus the catalytic convertor on a stock pipe is about £450 from Saab and this one is better. Anyway - it's already on it's way!" ;)

#10 ·
saabnutter said:
nice one m8, ill try that approach. Have you got any pics of your car, just out of curiosity. What mods have you done. Did your CAT go and did you get any overboost ? Some US guys talk about boost creep, do you know what they mean ?

Cheers,

Nigel
Mods - lots! I've done the Koni shocks and Eibach Springs, Poly Bushes all round, black front grille, MBC+A - look in my profile for details or enable signatures!

I haven't actually received my DP yet - it's on order second hand from a guy in the States. The cat hasn't gone but I am moving swiftly towards Stage 3 hardware (in fact the DP is the last piece in the puzzle!). Overboost is when the boost creeps up due to a blockage in the exhaust system, which of course increases pressure anyway.

#11 ·
Very nice photos mate. Very Similar to mine. interior exactly the same except I dont have a boost gauge and have the dark walnut dash and not the carbon fibre. Only mods done so far are 95 aero alloys(look the plums), koni suspension, lowered on abbott springs, smoked repeaters, tinted windows, black mudflaps from rallynuts, k & n, JT 3" catback exhaust and new tyres 225/45/17.

Love your boost gauge. How do you switch your lights on, cause youve obviously used that space on the dash to mount it. Was it an easy job ?

How do you like the MBC. Did it make a big difference ? I think if I got the 3" dp and MBC we would have a similar setup.

My only problem just now is the overboost and fuel cut off. I think it must be to do with the cat because ive had everything else checked.

Am i right in saying that taking our cars past stage 3 would require an ecu remap with say Maptun eg. Good to talk cheers, Nigel

#12 ·
Love your boost gauge. How do you switch your lights on, cause youve obviously used that space on the dash to mount it. Was it an easy job ?

How do you like the MBC. Did it make a big difference ? I think if I got the 3" dp and MBC we would have a similar setup.

Am i right in saying that taking our cars past stage 3 would require an ecu remap with say Maptun eg. Good to talk cheers, Nigel
I relocated the light switch into the facia panel above the drivers feet.

The MBC is great - it opens up the first two gears much better... I don't currently have a 3" DP but its on its way from the States as we speak!

To take the car even to 'Stage 1' need a remap - I'm looking at Stage 3 now because I've got all the hardware (or will have soon) in place for it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.