fresh issue [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: fresh issue

tomsamps
11th April 2007, 04:09 PM
Hello!
After a hard drive I engine braked into my village then applied the brakes and got an alarming vibration from the front wheels. I nursed it back to my road and as I slowed down to my house the brakes graunched. I've been suspecting that possibly the front pads are due for renewal due to squeaking at low speeds, I hope I'm right and that it's nothing worse. I have only had to replace the rear pads so far during my ownership, so I haven't experienced the front pads "going". Is what I have described a possible result of the pads being knackered?

Many thanks

Gabby
11th April 2007, 04:45 PM
The "graunch" certainly sounds like the dreaded "metal on metal" symphony.....:o

TheRedBaron
11th April 2007, 04:49 PM
Yeah the squeak at the end of the life of the pads is caused by little pins that are put in the brake pads below the friction surface and extending into it a little. When the pad gets to low, the surface wears off until you get to the pin, which is put there to squeak and then grind and tell you to change your pads. Drive on it like this for too long and you're out a set of rotors.

Dean O
11th April 2007, 06:18 PM
yep sounds like pads. but if yer brakes have gone suddenly from a bit of a squeak to 'alarmimg vibration' a pad might have actually disintegrated. either way they need changing pronto ;)