SaabCentral Forums banner

Just bought a Viggen

1K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  TurboTempo 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,
Just bought a silver viggen softop , collect it next week.....
.. being used to my gm900 abbott/koni setup the viggen drives like its got a central spring in the middle of the car and feels like it wobbles about a lot , boing boing , In anyones opinion do you have to get the 'viggen rescue kit' or will abbott/koni springs sort this out enough ?
my maptun stage 3 gm900 talledega is going up for sale this week so ill have a few pennies to spend on it .
Pictures will come ( i feel like a big kid )

:)

#3 ·
I too was dissapointed by the Vig's handling stock. The good news is it comes a LONG way with basic changes. First modification for $100 US should be a GS 22mm rear swaybar. Since you have a vert I also suggest the 6pt subframe brace. The Koni Sport kit does wonders as it drives as good if not better than stock on soft, but with the right tires handles very confidently on firmer settings.

#5 ·
thanks guys , that 6 point brace looks pretty severe , listen to me when i say i want it to handle better im not worried its slow in comparison to my 900 stage3 ...... then watch me eat my words after 6 months of ecu upgrade ' temptations ' ;)

still it looks pretty and has not got a single scratch on it all it needs is wheel re-furb to look brand new .
should i keep the viggen stock wheels or swap the BBS rx 18's from my 900 ?or will that look a bit dumb ?

decisions decisions !

#6 ·
TurboTempo said:
thanks guys , that 6 point brace looks pretty severe , listen to me when i say i want it to handle better im not worried its slow in comparison to my 900 stage3 ...... then watch me eat my words after 6 months of ecu upgrade ' temptations ' ;)

still it looks pretty and has not got a single scratch on it all it needs is wheel re-furb to look brand new .
should i keep the viggen stock wheels or swap the BBS rx 18's from my 900 ?or will that look a bit dumb ?

decisions decisions !

Congrats on the Viggen!!! The CV is quite a bit more flexy than the sedans and coupes but all benefit from the steering rack clamp and brace and the 22mm rear sway bar. I'd say the 6 point is MANDATORY on the vert....way too much cowl shake as is, although I've never tried it. I've driven a couple of Viggen CVs and you can almost feel the dash move under heavy acceleration....fun, or scary, depending on how you view these things!

Oh, and I'd definitely go 18" BBS....real sweet!!
Robert

#7 ·
Nice choice of car - mine will be LOOKING like a Viggen at least soon... which leads me on to my next question quite nicely... :cheesy:

I hate to be a vulture (alright, I love it!) but are you parting out the 900 or selling whole?

#8 ·
vulture

StormCrow said:
Nice choice of car - mine will be LOOKING like a Viggen at least soon... which leads me on to my next question quite nicely... :cheesy:

I hate to be a vulture (alright, I love it!) but are you parting out the 900 or selling whole?
lol @ Vulture !

no my friend ill be selling it whole . Any 'vultures' are welcome to message me .......... if the spare part they are looking for is a SAAB coupe ;)

#9 ·
RBatsch said:
Congrats on the Viggen!!! The CV is quite a bit more flexy than the sedans and coupes but all benefit from the steering rack clamp and brace and the 22mm rear sway bar. I'd say the 6 point is MANDATORY on the vert....way too much cowl shake as is, although I've never tried it. I've driven a couple of Viggen CVs and you can almost feel the dash move under heavy acceleration....fun, or scary, depending on how you view these things!

Oh, and I'd definitely go 18" BBS....real sweet!!
Robert
im heading to that decision Robert , do you know do Viggens look silly with 18 inch wheels if they are NOT lowered ?
Just wondering as i havent seen any pictures of any other than those with lower springs on them :roll:

#10 ·
TurboTempo said:
im heading to that decision Robert , do you know do Viggens look silly with 18 inch wheels if they are NOT lowered ?
Just wondering as i havent seen any pictures of any other than those with lower springs on them :roll:
They dont look silly at all. My whole magazine shoot was done before the lowering, see the pics here.
http://www.europeancarweb.com/features/0607_ec_1999_saab_93_viggen/

#11 ·
TurboTempo said:
I feel that the 18x8" wheels finally make the car look right! I'll snap some pictures of mine as soon as the snow stops and I can put them back on the car (I use the OEM wheels with snows).

Because the wider wheels sit closer to the edge of the wheel well and there is less 'black' (tire), that huge space at the rear is gone. I now feel no need to lower my car as I also didn't want to alter the Viggen's aggressive 'nose-to-the-ground' stance. Most lowering springs lower the rear more than the front, which is probably a good thing since the front is already so low.

I also like the feel of the 18s....much more direct and responsive.
Robert

#13 ·
18's

RBatsch said:
I feel that the 18x8" wheels finally make the car look right! I'll snap some pictures of mine as soon as the snow stops and I can put them back on the car (I use the OEM wheels with snows).

Because the wider wheels sit closer to the edge of the wheel well and there is less 'black' (tire), that huge space at the rear is gone. I now feel no need to lower my car as I also didn't want to alter the Viggen's aggressive 'nose-to-the-ground' stance. Most lowering springs lower the rear more than the front, which is probably a good thing since the front is already so low.

I also like the feel of the 18s....much more direct and responsive.
Robert
Good info there Robert Ribz pictures say it all ( actually makes it look lower ) must be like you said ' less black ' looking forward to your pics .

#17 ·
TurboTempo said:
can i ask you what tyre sizes you were/are running on the 18's ?
mine are 225/40/18 on the lowered 900 , just wondering will they be okay on the
non-lowered Viggen ?
Thats the size I run. No rubbing at all stock, lowered it and I was fine for awhile. But the rears settled and began rubbing. It took $120 at the body shop to cure the rubbing so no big deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.