SaabCentral Forums banner

SMBC Perfect Settings

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Viggen_93 
#1 · (Edited)
I just installed my SMBC on my 99 9-3, and I believe I installed it correctly, and I after some fuel cut and some adjustment it runs... "okay".. I was expecting some better results... Is that it? The reason I ask that is, because my car still feels the same and I feel as if I just wasted my money. I feel a little push back, but its not anything crazy.

Is it installed wrong? I have it hooked up the way the instructions telll me to. So what is wrong here, or is that the way the SMBC is like? I guess the people on saabcentral just hyped it up too much

#2 ·
Is your boost needle registering any differently (higher)? Sometimes the butt dyno doesn't give you the whole story. Is your engine health good? Did you check for a boost leak? There are several reasons that it may not be or even feel more. I'd start by looking at your boostgauge, and if it's not higher than without the MBC, then you can start troubleshooting, and I'd start by checking for a boost leak.

#7 ·
If you're using the SMBC on your 99 9-3 T5 car than you can push out a little more installed in series to the BPC. But as others have said, with your car, if it is the one listed in your profile being a 1999 9-3, you could have just bought a regular MBC or the MBC+A kit.

To use your current SMBC as a regular MBC, you would need to drill a bleed port hole in the back of the elbow to relieve the pressure built up in the vacuum hose when you come off the throttle. I can help you do that if you would like.

Or you can overboost your SMBC setting and get some more boost out of it while retaining the stock controls of the BPC and the ECU.

Either way, you can get more out of it.

Or did you hook this up to a T7 car that is not listed in your profile?

#10 · (Edited)
Viggen_93 said:
i would like some help with the mbc where do i drill?

Also I would like to thank everyone for helping me out.
To turn a SMBC into a MBC, you need to drill a hole in the back of the elbow.
Like This but not that big is you can help it:

Try to get a drill bit that is 1/32".

This relieves the pressure off the WGA. Since a MBC bypasses the BPC, there is nowhere for that air to go to so is needs to vent to atmosphere.

#12 ·
Well I drilled a hole like above, and while I still feel the same feeling as before, which is really like nothing... Am I doing something wrong here?

I got the SMBC so basically I have the elbow part of the SMBC going to the "C" part of the BPC, and then the straight part goes to the end of the turbo compressor tubing. Thats what the instructions says pretty much.

I guess I'll just buy a regular MBC, but I don't think i'll see much gains out of that either.

I don't have a boost gauge yet, because I am low on funds, but the stock gauge in the cluster shows that its going into middle red, but the car still feels the same. I also did a boost leak test and nothing shows up.

Any ideas whats wrong? Greatly appreciate the replies.

-Wes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.