SaabCentral Forums banner

VIGGEN OWNERS... anyone using stock springs w/ Koni or Bilstein??

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  DanS 
#1 ·
I would like to keep my stock springs, and use either Konis or Bilsteins (sports).

Anyone have this set-up?

Impressions?

Post pics if you got'em!!

Thanks!

#2 ·
This would be a good upgrade if you want to keep your stock ride height. This won't lower the car of course, but will give you the adjustable shocks so you can change how the springs respond.

I don't think pics would show anything different over a stock setup. At the very least, if you are not happy with the results you can allways add the springs later, I've taken apart and reassembled my front suspension 4 times now, in search of the best ride/handling.
Tboy

#5 · (Edited)
Still not there yet. I'm a bit of an odd case due to having an NG, V6, and MY94. I've swapped back and forth from the stock springs to lowering ones, and I've changed out sway bar end links and strut mounts etc. I will be taking it apart this summer and updating the controll arms and front sway bar to the updated version.

I'm also on the fence as to whether or not the lowering springs are just too low. No matter how I dial in the Koni's I just can't seem to get the bounce out, and when I do start to get close, I get a harsh ride over bumps.

I am almost to the point where I'd like to try air bags (believe it or not!). I've read a few articles on them and think they are quite promising.

So I haven't found nirvana yet, I'll be the first to admit. The handling is quite good on a nicely paved road, it is wicked fast around corners. But if the road is rough, the car becomes pretty unsettled and wheels tend to hop a bit. It gets a little unnerving.

Tboy

#6 ·
Tboy said:
I am almost to the point where I'd like to try air bags (believe it or not!). I've read a few articles on them and think they are quite promising.
I agree I think airbags would be the way to go. The setup for them in the rear would be super easy the front would be more involved. We have all that room in the hatch might as well use for airbagging it! I know a guy w/ a c900 here has done it. (Green c900 coupe.) Someone has to do this to an NG900/9-3!

#7 ·
I had a 1970 Chevrolet Monte Carlo that had coil springs all the way around. The right rear was the drive wheel and the coil spring took a set. It was about .5"-1.0" lower.

I installed the heavy rubber airbags and it brought the rear up. The ride didn't suffer and it was adjustable.

The only complication I can foresee on a Saab is the rubber plug in the coil spring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.