SaabCentral Forums banner

bov

888 views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  ragtopcav 
#1 ·
going to get a blow of valve iv a standad car 1998 93 20 turbo which 1 is best and how do i fit it i dont want the air to return to the engine iv heard its better not to how do i do this thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
On my '96 I have the heavier-duty Viggen bov. Can't go wrong there. Sounds good, does its job. And ah, oh yeah - it doesn't cost $150. More like 60. If it's good enough for Nick Taliaferro and his 340-hp Viggen, it's good enough for me. I really don't understand why so many people pay so much for fancy colorful Forge etc bov's when this is a good option at 1/3 the cost. It doesn't make sense, throwing money away so they'll have a shiny blue or chrome valve under their hood. To each his own I guess.

#6 ·
straycatkid said:
On my '96 I have the heavier-duty Viggen bov. Can't go wrong there. Sounds good, does its job. And ah, oh yeah - it doesn't cost $150. More like 60. If it's good enough for Nick Taliaferro and his 340-hp Viggen, it's good enough for me. I really don't understand why so many people pay so much for fancy colorful Forge etc bov's when this is a good option at 1/3 the cost. It doesn't make sense, throwing money away so they'll have a shiny blue or chrome valve under their hood. To each his own I guess.
One could argue that spending money for any mod is a waste of money and that any car is good enough as is, but then again what's the fun in that?

#8 ·
comtrang said:
One could argue that spending money for any mod is a waste of money and that any car is good enough as is, but then again what's the fun in that?
It has a lot to do with our life time warranty and the fact that even the upgraded Bosch valves fail once they are used at boost levels in the teens. The worse part about the failures is it is completely random, some will last 10,000 miles while some last 10. There is something to be said for peace of mind.

#9 ·
Sacko said:
i just got the forge valve, and i think it's a little too loud for my tastes. I liked the sound of venting through the stock bpv unplugged, but the bov has a very ricer-ish metalic twang to it, and it vents much more loudly
Hate to differ with a fellow Baaahstonian, but... :cheesy:

Among all the commonly available BOVs, the Forge is probably the least "ricer-ish." The "fwwwwwwsh" shound of the Forge is far more subdued -- and more subtle -- than the "twwwweeet" of an HKS SSQV or the scream of a GReddy or the "LOOK AT MEEEEEEEE" blare of a TurboXS RFL.....

I used a Forge happily until recently.....

#10 ·
mike saunders said:
Hate to differ with a fellow Baaahstonian, but... :cheesy:

Among all the commonly available BOVs, the Forge is probably the least "ricer-ish." The "fwwwwwwsh" shound of the Forge is far more subdued -- and more subtle -- than the "twwwweeet" of an HKS SSQV or the scream of a GReddy or the "LOOK AT MEEEEEEEE" blare of a TurboXS RFL.....

I used a Forge happily until recently.....
To bad we didn't have this available when you switched :cheesy: :
SUPERSIZE

#11 ·
patty AT forge said:
SUPERSIZE
Wow! that thing is a monster!!

To Original Poster

I only 'upgraded' for the sake of the fact the plastic bosch one started hooting - I went with a Forge for the warranty and the reputation.

(Cover your ears patty!) And I only didn't buy a 'dedicated' atmospheric one because I kind of prefer the sound of the recirc one disconnected at one end!! like a big shaken up bottle of coke every time I got off the throttle!! :cheesy:

Oh and I was planning to MBC to fuel cut, and planned to ECU tune for higher boost so wanted something tunable.

#12 ·
patty AT forge said:
SUPERSIZE

wow....that's a nice looking unit....

A suggestion: the kids might like some kind of an optional insert to make the "Fwwwwweeeeet" sound. I think they'd pay an extra $15-20 to make the bov scare small children. :cool:

#13 ·
Y'know, they're a pointless thing to have really, but, deep down, it is the only thing I like about having a turbo car ;oops: the option of psssshhht! Maybe I might just.

With all that charged air volume I now have, though no more boost than stock, will it be a louder noise or longer? And then what happens with something like a stg 3 package allowing more charged air pressure too?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.