SaabCentral Forums banner

bov or dump valve

838 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  project13 
#1 · (Edited)
i have a 1998 93s 2.0 turbo want to know about bov and dump valve which one to fit and how

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
basicly, you can put a bov in the place of the bpv that lets out boost when you take your foot off the gas(automatic) or shift gears(manual) and makes a cool woosh sound

i just put one on my saab 2 days ago, and love it :suprised;
it only took about 30 min, some rubber hose and some clamps

#4 ·
A BOV is a dump valve. It dumps the excess boost into the atmosphere, hence the name.

You car is fitted with a stock BPV (recirculating bypass valve). This can be made into a BOV just as doorcheese said.

All you need to plug is the return hose to the intake....

#6 ·
if you only want sound, i recommend just disconnect your line from the stock bpv back into intake. just take that line off and go to hardware store and get a rubber plug to plug the hole in the intake. very easy and quick and you will get the pshhhh sound you might be looking for. until you start uppin the boost, unless your stock bpv is faulty, theres no need to purchase an aftermarket valve since the stock one will be sufficient. unless you really really really want to spend all that money for a certain sound:roll: ..... but do keep in mind that doing this to the stock valve has been rumored to lower the life span of the valve and some people even put little engine breather filters on the ends of the valve to ensure no dirt and what not gets in the bpv at idle. and if you really wanted to spend all that money for a different valve, get one with a 1 inch flange something for audi and vw and obviously SAAB..
this topic has been discussed many times so try a search, and you should find more info and what you need that way also

#8 ·
So for just the sound I can just delete the intake return line....Cool

And I can keep this like this until I start uping the boost. If I get a MBC will this set up still work fine? or is that the time I would want to upgrade?

From reading past posts, I have been told that the stock unit will handle quite a bit of boost.

#9 ·
As already mentioned, a BOV can be used on a stock car. A "dump valve" Is sometimes known as the technical "dump tube" Which goes within the exhaust system to dump excess gas. Good luck with the install, they sound great. Which valve are you planning to run? I reccomend the Tial, no doubt it is the best one avilable for boosted vehicles.

#10 ·
doorcheese said:
basicly, you can put a bov in the place of the bpv that lets out boost when you take your foot off the gas(automatic) or shift gears(manual) and makes a cool woosh sound

i just put one on my saab 2 days ago, and love it :suprised;
it only took about 30 min, some rubber hose and some clamps
Five min, way easy!

#11 ·
So just for fun until I can find a good BOV, I took the pipe going to the intake off, since that wasn't being used any more, I removed the plastic intake pipe coming off the turbo, replaced it with some intake piping I had laying around, then put on a large K&N filter.

Sounds real nice now, I have the blow off sound now

The only thing is that I have a Automatic, When I get on it, It doesn't dump between the shifts, only if I'm in boost, I let off the throtle.
Is this normal??
I was thinking/hoping that it would do it bettween shifts under acceleration, but I think it will only do it when I lift off the throttle

This was a good/cheap/easy mod, Thanks for help guys!!
I'll post some pic's in a few days

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.