SaabCentral Forums banner

High Flow Intercooler

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  John Z Williams 
#1 ·
can someone please talk me into getting the high flow intercooler???
please!!! now is your chance to shine.

summer mods:
2.5" turbo back, 3"DP, high flow cat
GS Intake
Inlet pipe

#7 ·
Dense air = more power, the better your ic is, the denser you air will be and the denser your intake air, the more power and torque you will make. Its not the peak hp gain that is the primary reason for upgrading to a larger ic, its the ability to sustain your power longer. The peak hp is only about 10bhp, its the ability to have good power through many gears at wot that makes the larger ic worth while. Viggen ic on a stage 3 is good for 1, maybe 2 wot pulls. A good bar and plate ic is good for up to 5 wot pulls;)

The cooler your intake air, the more timing and boost your ecu will give and the engine will perform better and longer before it pulls timing and boost.

I remember before with my stage 3 and viggen ic, if I wound out second gear to the rev-limit, I would already be heat soaked and if I went wot in third gear, it would peak out and immediately fall back and dump boost. With my larger 24"x3.5"x8" core that I have now, I can wind it out in second, third, fourth and fith without dumping boost... Its great for sustaned power!

John

#10 ·
It all depends on what you are looking for to do with your car. If you only go wot once and while and only do say a third gear pull at wot and then let off and cruise again. The viggen ic is fine. If you want to be able to wind it out in third, fourth and fith and espcially second, third and fourth, a larger ic will definetely be worthwhile!

Larger ic allows sustained power, not great power gains...;)

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.