SaabCentral Forums banner

Suggestions on bulbs (PIAA)

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  WSAABI 
#1 ·
:D O.K. I'm looking for replacement bulbs for my SAAB, i do alot of night driving so i need some info on what brand off bulbs to buy that will produce really bright /super white light whithout the blue tint. I was thinking of (PIAA extreme white) Can anybody tell me what type are the best to use. THANKS:cheesy:

#3 ·
I had PIAA's in about 3 cars prior to putting some in my Saab

I NOW use only Sylvannia's or IPF I get on Ebay

PIAA's were good but $$ to $$ the Silverstars are the same

'Dukted suggested trying 'Xtrastars' and they work just as well, I have 'em in the wife's Vibe

If you find the lighting dull, clean the headlight assemblies VERY gently with a moist napkin or some such. No soap

If still not happy, try E-code lenses from GS or overseas ebay. (I just got a set for $75 shipped)

This 'could' be what you're looking for

#5 ·
osram silverstars are the best by most standards.

sylvania silverstars use a smaller, over-run filament, which tend to burn out quick.

osrams use a heavier filament, and clear glass, which give a longer-lasting, cleaner light.
you can get both on ebay.

I have a heavy-duty headlight re-wire kit, so I'm using 90/100W headlights.
if you're REALLY concerned, go that way. I know suvlights.com sells them. I'm sure other places do, as well.

#6 · (Edited)
I have tried almost every type of "special" bulbs. PIAA, siulverstar, MAX HYPER WHITE, lumincs ultra titanium, eagle super white, blah blah you name it.

the best and longest lasting so far, and worth the price IMHO is sylvania XTRAVISION. not as white as silverstar but very bright and LONG LASTING> not as expensive either.

any bulb with blue glass is gonna be weak, even though it looks cool. silverstars were cool but too much $$$ and burned out real fast (NO I DIDN"T TOUCH THE GLASS) :roll:

PIAA super plasma looked cool as heck, kinda purple, kinda blue, kinda like HID with a halo effect from the metallic coating, but were dim on poor lit backroads

#7 ·
Philips just came out with some new bulbs, the X-Treme Power, that are supposed to be the world's first +80% bulbs. I bought a set for my car, and I have to admit, they are a little brighter than the Osram Silverstars I used to have, and they're a nice improvement over the Philips VisionPlus I had before, which are pretty comparable to Silverstars.

#9 ·
S.A.M said:
I guess i will go with Sylvania silverstar bulb or Philpips X-Treme power. THANKS for the info guys:cheesy:
maybe you missed it, but DO NOT get Sylvania Silverstar bulbs - they suck for light output and are prone to burning out rather quickly. The only acceptable Silverstar bulbs are the Osram Silverstar - only available in Europe, but can be ordered online for the U.S.

I order mine through http://www.danielsternlighting.com

#13 ·
I have the PIAA in my ecode headlights, fogs and aux driving lights. It was sort of a splurge purchase from Tirerack and a lot more expensive than the silverstars I had been using.

The PIAA's do seem brighter. Are they worth it? I was a lot more $$. I'm very happy with them... as long as they don't burn out quickly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.