SaabCentral Forums banner

Another Automatic Transmission Thread!

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  abdukted1456 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I've been searching around in the forums here and over at tsn but can't find solid consistent answers to a few questions. These seem to pop up from time to time from anybody with an automatic... So I was thinking if I could get a thread started which could answer some basic questions it would be helpful to a lot of people (including me).

If anything here is wrong then correct me and I'll update the post too. I'm by no means as knowledgable on Saab's as most of you around here.

How much horsepower/torque can my automatic transmission handle?
Quoting ricot83: "If you learn nothing, learn that horsepower does not blow trannys, torque does."

The general consensus seems to be 400Nm / 295ft-lb.

Will upgrading to <manufacturer> Stage <x> shorten the life of my auto tranny?

Personally I have a Nordic Stage 3 ECU, K&N intake, and a 3" e-cut out. I've been running this for a little over 30k miles and still haven't noticed any slippage or shifting problems. And I tend to have a bit of a lead-foot on take offs... :roll:

Anybody else have comments on this? I would be curious as to how long others have been running on stage <x> with an auto box.

Should I still follow the routine maintenance schedule for my tranny after performing upgrades?

I've never seen a concrete answer on this. I saw one post suggesting changing the automatic transmission fluid every 10k miles after serious power upgrades.

Can I switch my automatic transmission for a manual?

Of course. There are guides out there on how to do this. (Can somebody provide a link here? I know I've seen one or two...) However don't walk into a project of this nature without any type of mechanical experience. Meaning if you have never worked on your car I wouldn't take this as a first timer project.

However the topic of whether or not it's worth it is debated quite a bit. Most people indicate the auto tranny to be "bulletproof" while the manual tranny is problematic. The flip side to this is that the auto tranny has a torque limit of 295ft-lb before it will become problematic.

The solution? I haven't seen one yet.

Will the transmission from a Cobalt/Cobalt SS fit on my saab?

I don't know. I haven't seen a solid answer on this... some posts say it will but it's no more reliable. Other posts say it won't. Anybody know for sure?

Will the automatic transmission from a Saab 9-5 fit on my 9-3?

Again, I don't know. I've seen posts indicating these can handle more torque than the transmission in the 9-3/900. But I haven't seen an absolute "yes" or "no" as to whether it will fit. Anybody know for sure?

Are there any companies that will rebuild our automatic to handle more torque?

I remember a chain where Abdukted1456 was doing some research on this -- did you ever find anything? (assuming you read this) Or has anybody?

Can I put an LSD on a car with an automatic transmission?

Again - I don't know. I saw somebody say in a post once that this was not possible. Anybody?

If I'm doing something that's already been done let me know. I had some idle time at work and was getting frustrated not being able to find a lot of answers to the above questions... I can't be the only one, surely. :cheesy:

-Rich

See less See more
#2 ·
Just thought I'd add a little info on auto trannies. If you plan on doing any mods at all, I highly recommend purchasing the Taliaferro poly transmission mount before doing any serious modding. I believe there are a few other modders on here with auto's who would strongly agree with this. The OEM mount on my '99 9-3 auto failed at 80,xxx miles, and that was before the car saw any modifications.

Hope we're able to compile more thoughts, facts and opinions on auto's - this is an excellent thread!

#5 ·
talk to scanwest http://www.scanwestauto.com/service.aspxthey told me they could build a stronger auto tranny. I think it's pricey though.

I am running nordic stage 3+ aka stage 4 for several months now.

change the fluid every 10K miles!

my tranny mount failed at 30K miles with stock power. so yes the poly mount from genuine will be an upgrade I would like to do :lol:

don't think the 9-5 box will fit, sorry

easier and cheaper to switch to a manual car than to switch the trannies. you also need wiring harnesses, ecu, etc/// I was told "it wouldn't be worth it"

most tuners will not go over 400Nm on the autobox to be safe. you can make more torque but the tranny won't last

yes the autobox is very reliable.

#6 ·
#7 · (Edited)
Thanks guys!! This is really good stuff. I'm going to put this into the FAQ format suggested this weekend.

'Easier and Cheaper to switch to a manual car' -- You think so? I know this is most likely *completely* incomparable... But I switched trannies in my '85 nissan 300zx. It was actually cheaper to pick up the used transmission and parts required than it was to get my automatic rebuilt. One solid weekend of work later and I was one happy camper, heh.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.