What tires give smoothest ride? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: What tires give smoothest ride?

SaabsRGreat
30th March 2007, 04:52 PM
I have a '03 9-3. What are the best tires in terms of a smoother ride? Right now I have Pirelli P6s but heard Michelin has tires that give a smoother ride. what do you think? Again, it objective is a smoother ride....

SaabsRgreat

dept2
30th March 2007, 05:02 PM
I have a '03 9-3. What are the best tires in terms of a smoother ride? Right now I have Pirelli P6s but heard Michelin has tires that give a smoother ride. what do you think? Again, it objective is a smoother ride....

SaabsRgreat

Bridgestone Potenza RE960 Pole Position is also good..

I use this tire now.. it makes smooth ride and good traction..

Investor74
30th March 2007, 06:05 PM
I bought Khumho Solus HP4 tires for my Catera, its fourth set of tires. I can't believe how smooth and quiet they are - it's a pleasure to drive the car now. When my OEM tires need replacement, I am getting them for the 9-3.

Barry

greekfragma
30th March 2007, 06:24 PM
the smoother a tyre is....the softer rubber it must be made of.....the more soft rubber it
must be made of the shorter mileage it has.......

one good tyre to put in ur 9-3 is the continental sporticontact3.
:cool:

barrylieberman
30th March 2007, 10:55 PM
I've had 4 different sets in 2 9-3 SS' and so far my current set has proven to be my overall favorite.

Fuzion is the "ricer" version of Bridgestone Pole Postions. Same tire, same manufacturing plant, two names, two very different price points. I've had the Conti's, the Bridgestone Potenzas, the Pirelli P Zero Rosso's and these.

They are W rated, and they look good. Fuzion ZRi.

http://www.thefuzionzone.com/zri.asp

HeySteve
31st March 2007, 04:24 AM
I have a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on my 9-3, and they are very smooth much smoother than the OEM Continentals the car came with. After 10000 miles, they are wearing beautifully and feel like they did when new. They are sport tires though and they give the car a slightly more athletic, European sport sedan feel. I've also been happy with Michelins on other cars too, from Volkswagens to Lincolns.

I would check out Michelin's web site or a multi-brand site like Tire Rack. They have online tire selectors that can give you several options based on your preferences (like a smooth ride). Let us know what you come up with!

n2f
31st March 2007, 08:31 AM
Bridgestone Potenza RE960 Pole Position is also good..

I use this tire now.. it makes smooth ride and good traction..

I'll second this; the RE960 replaced a set of Goodyear tires that were quite good (no pun intended...) but the Bridgestones are even better - excellent traction in all conditions (perfect for spirited driving in the corners, etc :cheesy: ).

The best part about them, though, is they're quiet.

I'd highly recommend the Potenza RE960 "Pole Position."

omegajb
31st March 2007, 11:40 AM
I'll second this; the RE960 replaced a set of Goodyear tires that were quite good (no pun intended...) but the Bridgestones are even better - excellent traction in all conditions (perfect for spirited driving in the corners, etc :cheesy: ).

The best part about them, though, is they're quiet.

I'd highly recommend the Potenza RE960 "Pole Position."

I agree, but stay away from the G009's from Bridgestone, I had them and they had no traction in wet weather. I've only had the RE960's for a little over a month but have been happy with them.

63mk
31st March 2007, 02:28 PM
Michelin Primacy HP

Very smooth ride

JustRunIt
31st March 2007, 03:18 PM
I second the motion on the Fuzion ZRI, they are hands down the best tire out there for the money that grip, ride and sound, as good as these. i've had them on my ng900 for two summers, and i still have enough to get to fall with no problem. I just orded a set for my 9k, should be here any day now.

shaker
1st April 2007, 10:44 PM
Michelin's are expensive and if you ask me not really worth the price premium. I have always liked Continental Sportcontacts and Yokahama Avid series.

Shaker

DMBeer41
2nd April 2007, 09:07 AM
I just got a pair of Yokohama Avid's V4s and they are AWESOME! They're kind of expensive, at least for me, but I was lucky enough to find a used pair at Town Fair Tire used less than 30 days, for half the price. I love them, highly recommended if you can take on their price tag ($148 in Stamford, CT).

Traction is the best I've had in a tire in my years of driving, even in wet conditions (as it's been raining lately here). There's minimal road sound, and the ride is really smooth.

bonakdar
6th April 2007, 01:47 PM
everyone seems to love the tires they have. I'm no different. I got some Kumho Ecsta ASX cause I wanted an all seasons tire. There is no comparison in the ride quality versus the crappy pirelly p6 i had. Its so much quieter, smother ride and grips great on wet road. That said, they are slightly softer but since I don't take corners at 100mph I don't really care. Happy with them for $70 including shipping each.

Alex D
6th April 2007, 06:44 PM
Falken 512s are great, but directional

KrOlDoG8
6th April 2007, 10:17 PM
I got Michelin MXV4's, I love 'em. Quiet, good on snow and wet pavement. Very minimal roll in the corners and wear perfectly!:D

Cosmicflash
7th April 2007, 12:39 AM
everyone seems to love the tires they have. I'm no different. I got some Kumho Ecsta ASX cause I wanted an all seasons tire. There is no comparison in the ride quality versus the crappy pirelly p6 i had. Its so much quieter, smother ride and grips great on wet road. That said, they are slightly softer but since I don't take corners at 100mph I don't really care. Happy with them for $70 including shipping each.

Not neccessarily. I've had the garbage P6, Kuhmo ASX like you, the Yoko Avid V4, and the most recent Bridgestone RE 960 Pole Position All Season.
By far the best value are the Kuhmo's. The best tire is the Bridgestone but quite a bit more. I believe $85 vs. $125.

Greekfragma,

Not really on your comment. The softer compouond will shorten life however handle better but the ride really isn't related. The firmness of the sidewall will determine softness and that is usually associated with speed rating. So an H rated tire will give a softer ride vs. a V, Z, or W rated tire.

So for softness first shoot for an H rated tire unless your into handling which you didn't indicate.

Let us know what you get.

Alex D
8th April 2007, 09:25 PM
Anyone ever tried BFG G-Force Sport??

mike saunders
8th April 2007, 09:46 PM
Anyone ever tried BFG G-Force Sport??

Yes, they're my wife's summer tires and I like them. They have decent grip dry or wet, plus they're far, far quieter than the BFG T/A G-Force KDW2 that I run on my car....

Alex D
8th April 2007, 10:10 PM
For my 235/45-17s I think it's come down to:

- Potenza RE 960 (Very Expensive!)
- General Exclaim UHP (Highly rated and reasonably priced! Sold out at TireRack, avail at Discount Tire)
- or replacing the CotiPro Contacts (only would have to get two)

:roll:

808_NineThree
11th April 2007, 02:45 AM
Michelin's are expensive and if you ask me not really worth the price premium. I have always liked Continental Sportcontacts and Yokahama Avid series.

Shaker

Replaced the original P-Zero Rossos with Michelin Pilot Exalto (summer, not the A/S version). Decent reviews on Tire Rack and the best deal I could get locally when factoring in installation, balancing, etc.

Ride is much more civilized than the Pirellis and perform well too.

3rd stone from the sun
11th April 2007, 07:40 AM
I can vouch for Michelin Primacy HP.

Alex D
16th April 2007, 08:33 AM
For my 235/45-17s I think it's come down to:

- Potenza RE 960 (Very Expensive!)
- General Exclaim UHP (Highly rated and reasonably priced! Sold out at TireRack, avail at Discount Tire)
- or replacing the CotiPro Contacts (only would have to get two)

:roll:

I ordered a set of 4 ZR rated General Exclaim UHP's from Tire Rack. $74 a piece plus $34 to ship all four. Local (very highly rated) installer charges $15 per wheel.
Will let you know how they are.