SaabCentral Forums banner

max boost on stock head?

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  screamingreen97 
#1 ·
my buddy has a 1997 900se, and he wants to get a boost contoller but he wants to know what the max boost you can put on the stock head

#2 ·
i think the motors can handle 300 hp stock...i know thats wut the 2.3 handles...the turbo can put out 23psi if u wanted without the head coming off, granted u might blow something else off...but ull need lots of mods...do a stage 4

#3 ·
The head is not the problem with the stock turbo, its the high egt's that are made by pushing the stock turbo too far. The stock tdo4 can run up to around 25-26psi with the right fueling, modded ecu. Maybe a little less with the stock t25. I would not want to push it past 17-18psi with stock sw and mbc, but without a modded ecu he will hit fuel cut at around 15.5psi... It will feel like a bad bucking, kind of violent sometimes...

With a larger turbo and fuel injectors and ecu and dp and full 3" exhaust and larger ic, the stock head can handle 30-33psi of boost:eek: Like I said its not the head that is the problem, its the ecu, fuel injectors and mapping to match more boost. The more you turn up the boost, the more fuel you need and the stock ecu has a protection over-boost measure that will shut off the fuel pump if you go above 15.5psi.

Most people that run boost controllers or mbc's turn them up until they hit fuel cut and then just back it off a hair.... Good Luck,

John

#4 ·
screamingreen97 said:
i think the motors can handle 300 hp stock...i know thats wut the 2.3 handles...the turbo can put out 23psi if u wanted without the head coming off, granted u might blow something else off...but ull need lots of mods...do a stage 4
a stock 2.3 can handle alot more then 300bhp...a stock 2.0 is capable of making alot more then that as well...

#5 ·
screamingreen97 said:
dont post complete WRONG information. a 2.3 can handle 500bhp, a 2.o can handle close to the same.

#6 ·
ERP has been pushing 30psi in Colorado, with a bigger turbo, but has blown his headgasket 3 times. I suggest these bits of knowledge:

Dont use an Electronic boost controller. You need to upgrade stuff like the turbo and ic b4 you can reap the boost higher than a simple mbc offers.

If you are going wild with boost, get the ARP head studs and put in a new headgasket b4 hand. Studs can be found at www.genuinesaab.com

The pikes peak viggen was rated at 800hp on stock head and block with 40psi.

#8 ·
saabkid37 said:
dont post complete WRONG information. a 2.3 can handle 500bhp, a 2.o can handle close to the same.

on stock internals? im talking about stock internals, with ecu and hardware...once u hit the 300+ range u gotta change injectors and such....thats wut i was talking about

#9 ·
I think of internals as the pistons, crank, rods and the cams. The ecu is the sw that runs the motor and the injectors are external in my opinion as is the ic and dp and exhaust and the air fileter intake system. Stock internal motors 2.0 and 2.3's are good to 500-550bhp:cool: in the t5 94-98 ng900's and 9000's.

Once you get into the 2000 era and the viggen, the pistons are weaker and are no longer capable of going much over 300bhp on stock internals, you need forged pistons on those motors...

John

#10 ·
John Z Williams said:
I think of internals as the pistons, crank, rods and the cams. The ecu is the sw that runs the motor and the injectors are external in my opinion as is the ic and dp and exhaust and the air fileter intake system. Stock internal motors 2.0 and 2.3's are good to 500-550bhp:cool: in the t5 94-98 ng900's and 9000's.

Once you get into the 2000 era and the viggen, the pistons are weaker and are no longer capable of going much over 300bhp on stock internals, you need forged pistons on those motors...

John

ooooooooooo i see...see, u learn something new everyday...thanx for this new info

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.