SaabCentral Forums banner

Check Engine light

720 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  radare 
#1 ·
My check engine light went on indicating that the forward oxygen sensor was bad. I replaced it & now am waiting for the check engine light to go out. Is there a way to reset it without having the diagnostic tool that the mechanic uses to see the codes? 900 SE 1998 turbo.
Thanks
John

#2 ·
If that was the problem and it is fixed it will take a number of starts to go out on its own. I am not sure of how many starts it will take, as I have the tool to clear them, but I believe it is around 20 starts. The other way that should reset it is to remove one of the battery terminals for about 10 minutes. If you car needs it (didn't look to see what year car you have) have you radio code ready to put in as that will be shut down from the battery being off.

#3 ·
jpcarr said:
My check engine light went on indicating that the forward oxygen sensor was bad. I replaced it & now am waiting for the check engine light to go out. Is there a way to reset it without having the diagnostic tool that the mechanic uses to see the codes? 900 SE 1998 turbo.
Thanks
John
Yup, dissconnect the negative battery terminal for 10 minutes and then reconect it. This will clear any codes that you had and clear the check engine light. If the check engine light comes back on, there is still a problem somewhere...

Make sure you have your radio code before you pull the battery terminal!

Good Luck,

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.